Home

Mass Effect Legendary Edition

This is a discussion on Mass Effect Legendary Edition within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #17
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

I really tried to enjoy ME: Andromeda, but it's awful. Back when it first came out, I bought it on day one because it was a Mass Effect game. I ended up putting it down around 20 hours, vowing one day to come back when it was in a more polished state. So this past weekend, I came back to it. The criticisms I have for this game have been said 1000 times over so. Outside of the actual combat, this game is bad.

But I was willing to soldier on, beat the game just to say I beat it. That was until all my auto and manual saves became corrupted. I could go back 5 hours and play from the last working save, but I don't have it in me. It's going to be a long winter waiting for the remaster.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:12 AM   #18
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

ME1 was my favorite and im curious what they have done to update it. I'm day one.
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Old 11-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #19
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I love all 3 games in the original trilogy; but they all scratch different itches. Total spoiler-free post below...just in case....

ME 1 feels like a callback to the old Bioware RPGs (like KOTOR and Jade Empire). It has that samey Bioware formula of (opening area - first hub - game opens to 3 more open hubs - finale). There's a lot of "busy work" that drags it down and the combat system is lacking. But it has a good over-arching storyline once you get past the drudgery of the opening area/first hub.

ME 2 is interesting. It's reminiscent of a season of Star Trek or something. You have a series of "episodes", your mid-season "ratings sweep" episode, and the season finale. I think this game does the best in terms of character development while having the least interesting (though still good) over-arching story line.

ME 3 is like a big budget movie that doesn't stop. It's a series of "big moment" after "big moment" with a tightly-woven storyline. This would be a pretty good standalone game on its own merits. But when you add in the background story from the first two games plus the intense character development of the second (in particular), there's a ton of emotional resonance in those "big moments". It's that emotional resonance that makes this game/series a true masterpiece.

It's been a bit since I've played through the entire trilogy. I'm actually thinking about playing through the series again as one last "hurrah" before it gets remastered.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:38 AM   #20
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Finally. Enjoyed the original Mass Effect's atmosphere, 2's gameplay and 3's multiplayer back in the day. I only hope when updating/remastering the games that they don't go too heavy into altering mechanics.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Old 12-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #21
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I never played the first 3 games so this is something I may get into. I’m more of an action RPG guy than true RPG. Talking to every NPC can irritate me. I did try Andromeda and it was OK. I was confused over the weapons and builds and there was too much down time. As much as Anthem got trashed I really enjoyed that game. Some cool unique builds, weapons and you just jumped into a lot of action. MEA didn’t hook me.

Wonder when the new game gets released.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/202...s-liara-in-it/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #22
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I never played the first 3 games so this is something I may get into. I’m more of an action RPG guy than true RPG. Talking to every NPC can irritate me. I did try Andromeda and it was OK. I was confused over the weapons and builds and there was too much down time. As much as Anthem got trashed I really enjoyed that game. Some cool unique builds, weapons and you just jumped into a lot of action. MEA didn’t hook me.

Wonder when the new game gets released.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/202...s-liara-in-it/
Hmmm....

The original trilogy is far more RPG than action (especially the first game). Part of what makes it so amazing are the character relationships - by time you get to the third game, you WILL care about at least some of your teammates and what ultimately happens to them. This is one of a small handful of video games I've played where I've had tears in my eyes due to an outcome. But what makes it more amazing is that decisions YOU make have repercussions throughout the series - so what you do in game 1 can have an impact (sometimes big, sometimes small) on what happens in games 2 and/or 3.

What the original trilogy is NOT is one of those open-world games where you have like 200 "points of interest" open up at one time (with 199 of them being unrelated to the main storyline). There is some branching and some areas (hubs) to explore but it never feels like it's "too much". Put it differently, Andromeda was more 'open-world'-ish than the original series....
Old 12-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #23
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Hmmm....

The original trilogy is far more RPG than action (especially the first game). Part of what makes it so amazing are the character relationships - by time you get to the third game, you WILL care about at least some of your teammates and what ultimately happens to them. This is one of a small handful of video games I've played where I've had tears in my eyes due to an outcome. But what makes it more amazing is that decisions YOU make have repercussions throughout the series - so what you do in game 1 can have an impact (sometimes big, sometimes small) on what happens in games 2 and/or 3.

What the original trilogy is NOT is one of those open-world games where you have like 200 "points of interest" open up at one time (with 199 of them being unrelated to the main storyline). There is some branching and some areas (hubs) to explore but it never feels like it's "too much". Put it differently, Andromeda was more 'open-world'-ish than the original series....
Very well said. I will add only one thing. This series also continues the moral choices of earlier Bioware games. So you can be a Paragon or Rebel I thinks the terms are. These choices can also affect gameplay and things that happen to and with the people around you. The replay value in this series is just really off the hook and for me is one of the true masterpieces of the last generation. I am very excited that this is out of the rumor mill and "official"

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #24
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

recently tried Andromeda as a fan of the series I hadn't until now and man does it suck! I didn't give it the best of efforts but that's not on me if you can't keep me interested after 30min.

I does make me wonder if I'd enjoy the trillogy NOW after all theses years since some games remain fun but many do not as time passes. Especially since the story I know and the game hinges on that as much as anything - I've explored what can be explored and so I'm thinking I'll pass.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »