Home

Total War: Warhammer III

This is a discussion on Total War: Warhammer III within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 8
Total War: Warhammer III

The final game in the Total War Warhammer trilogy is set to be released later this year.

Announcement Trailer

Gameplay from a new Survival Battle game mode

Quote:
ABOUT THIS GAME
Pre-purchase to get an additional free Race Pack for Total War: WARHAMMER III.
More details coming soon.

Far beyond the world and its petty wars there exists a dimension of pure, malevolent magic: The Realm of Chaos. It is a terrible place, incomprehensible to the mortal mind. It whispers promises of power, but to behold it is to be seduced by it. To relinquish your soul to it. To become it.

The four Ruinous Powers rule over this place, ever seeking to slip their bonds and engulf the world in a tide of daemonic corruption. Nurgle, the plague god; Slaanesh, the lord of excess; Tzeentch, the changer of ways; and Khorne, the god of blood and slaughter.

On the border between the worlds, two mighty kingdoms stand sentinel: the stern warriors of Kislev and the vast empire of Grand Cathay. But each is beset by its own trials, and now both have cause to cross the threshold and send their armies into the Realm of Chaos.

The world stands on a precipice. A single push will plunge it into cataclysm.

And there is one who schemes to achieve just that, an ancient figure who desires nothing less than to wield supreme power. But to succeed, he will need a champion…

The coming conflict will engulf all. Will you conquer your daemons? Or command them?

Total War Warhammer 2 is my most played game of 2019, 2020, and now 2021, by far, and I've been regularly playing the series since the first installment since it first released in 2016.

TW:WH2 is without a doubt the best Total War game that Creative Assembly has ever made, and they continue to support it more than their other releases.

The one downside to this game is the price. Each of the first 2 installments, and likely the 3rd as well, can each be played as stand alone games, but they also can be played simultaneously. There are a few race factions from the original Warhammer game that you can not access if you only have TW:WH2. You really aren't getting the full experience if you don't at least have TW:WH1 & TW:WH2. Then, on top of that, each game has a lot of DLC (especially TW:WH2), adding up to about $100 combined when on sale.

Right now during the Steam summer sale the base games are on sale for $35 ($15 for WH1 & $20 for WH2). All of the DLC is also on sale. The DLC isn't strictly necessary, but it does add to the replayability. Some of the DLC is certainly better than others though. So, you can always select some individual DLC that is of particular interest.

Last edited by KSUowls; 06-29-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2022, 11:24 PM   #2
All Star

Re: Total War: Warhammer III

I'm not sure how many people follow this franchise on here, but I'm so excited for this game.

The game was originally scheduled for a November release, but it was delayed until February 17, 2022. This seems to be a pretty secure release date at this point.

It will also be available on Xbox Gamepass for PC on launch day. So, if you've ever been curious about this series, this might be a great opportunity to try it out if you already have Gameplass or to just try it out at a discount. You won't have access to any of the first 2 games or their plethora of DLC, but the main TW:WH3 campaign should still offer a great experience.

I would also be surprised if we don't see a sale of some kind on the older content leading up to release. For those who don't know these games, TW:WH1, TW:WH2, and now TW:WH3 all build upon each other. They can all be played individually, but owning all of them grants you access to all of the playable factions and lords.

Over the last week or so there have been a lot of NDA embargoes that have been lifted, with more to come leading up to launch. Content creators have been able to show off some gameplay footage from some of the new factions, and it all looks amazing

Diplomacy has been reworked, taking mechanics from Total War 3 Kingdoms and other Total War games. To me it looks to have the most robust diplomacy offering of any Total War game to date with both quality of life improvements as well as additional mechanics.

City sieges have been completely reworked. Minor settlements are finally interesting. The defenders get to sit in an ungated town with various entries/choke points, and there is even a new system for building defensive structures in battle (you have X number of supply points and can decide to build an arrow tower or maybe a barricade, etc). These new battle maps look really cool.

There seems to be a lot of thought put into each of the 9 new factions (4 Chaos Gods, Chaos Undivided, Ogre Kingdom, Grand Cathay and Kislev.) Which plays well into a new campaign map centered around the Chaos invasion of the mortal realms.

Oh, we also get a new multiplayer co-op campaign with up to 8 players. Players will be able to play their turns simultaneously. Not a lot of info on what this means yet, but I would guess that it's something like there is 1 turn for all players, they can do all their administrative stuff on the campaign map that they want, and then any time a battle is initiated then players will have the opportunity spectate or auto resolve. This is just conjecture, but the reports are that they took into consideration how long a single turn would take if you had 8 players. So, I would expect some forms of efficiency.

Unfortunately the Mortal Empires campaign will not be available until some time after launch, but the new campaign and factions looks like they will keep me plenty entertained until then.

Last edited by KSUowls; 01-24-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:29 PM   #3
All Star

This game came out yesterday, and it's a blast.

Some really solid QOL updates and general feature improvements to the diplomacy. Quick Deals from TW 3 Kingdoms is now in the game, which is a huge time saver. You can also gift settlements to your allies, something that was in older Medieval TW games I believe.

Some nice improvements to combat. Warhammer 2 became largely about missile spam on the higher difficulties. I think that ranged units will still end up being the meta, but it's certainly harder to just spam archers at the beginning and win.

The new multiplayer is maybe the best selling point. Aside from general PvP maps, there are 3 multiplayer campaigns. They can be played co-op or competing with your friends, and you can have up to 8 people with you. The best part though is the simultaneous turns that the game now features. All players still participate in battlles, but now all of the campaign map tasks can be done at the same time.

Bugs are unfortunately a big detriment right now. It wouldn't be a Creative Assembly game if it didn't have numerous bugs at launch. It's probably in better shape than Warhammer 2 was when it first released, but the game crashes far too much. I imagine that they will fix most of these soon though.

Overall having a blast. I'm really looking forward to the new Mortal Empires campaign whenever that releases, but I highly recommend the current game for any fans of the Total War or Warhammer series.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #4
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

I love this universe. I have played 1 and 2 for hundreds of hours, if not thousands over the years. My CPU crapped out a while ago. Once I can build a new one I will jump back in and then get 3 and whatever dlc is out by then. Until then I will live vicariously through others watching them play. LOL

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:52 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

FYI, it is on GamePass.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #6
All Star

A new DLC is being released on August 23rd, as well as a Free download that introduces the Immortal Empires (IE) campaign.

IE is the culmination of the entire Total War: Warhammer trilolgy, allowing you to play any faction from any game in the trilogy across an expansive map covering the entire land Warhammer Fantasy (basically the entirety of earth), and it is essentially the sequel mode to Warhammer 2's Mortal Empires campaign which allowed the same freedom, but not quite the entire world and missing some of the new races.* The Total War Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires campaign is where I have almost all of my play time in this series.

Super excited for IE. TBH, I soured on Warhammer 3 pretty quickly. The opening stages of the game wer fun, and I enjoyed many of the new mechanics. However, at around turn 40 the mechanics of the base Realm of Chaos (RoC) campaign started to trigger, and that's when you realized that the campaign absolutely sucked. I basically haven't played the game since March, much of the WH community feels the same. There are just some design choices there that go against much of what the Total War series is about, and some designs that punished the player for absolutely no reason. The devs have been addressing these, and so the game is better today than it was at launch, but it still has a ways to go until it's in state that I would consider ever going back to. IE will not have the problems that plagued the RoC camp though. It may have some other problems that need to be addressed based on some content creator videos that I have watched (mostly game tuning), but it does appear to be the Total War experience that I'm looking for.

In a nutshell, IE allows you to take control of any one of the 86 (about half of which are DLC on top of what you get from the 3 base games) Lords that have been released from any of the factions: Humans, High Elves, Dark Elves, Greenskins (ie: orcs), Skaven, Dwarfs, Warriors of Chaos, Vampire Counts, Vampire Coast, Tomb Kings, Beastman, Norsca, Wood Elves, Ogre Kingdom, Kislev, Cathay, and Lizardman (possible I'm forgetting some). It drops you onto a map with the other 85 lords, plus around 200 other minor factions (again the map is huge) to try and conquer the world through conquest and diplomacy.

*You can only play factions that you own. Each of the game in the trilogy has a base set of races, and there are like 20+ DLC factions. I think that you might need to own each of the 3 base games to unlock IE, but not all of the DLC is required.

Last edited by KSUowls; 08-21-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:12 PM   #7
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

My rig blew up a good while ago. This is the game I miss the most. Been playing all of these since launch. So much fun. Maybe by next summer?

I will have so much content to catch up on. LOL

edit: just realized I basically made the same post 6 months ago. LOL Well nothing has changed on my rig build obviously. ooooops

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

Last edited by Bullit; 08-22-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:04 PM   #8
All Star

PC prices have been coming down so hopefully one day!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »