Home

Most Disappointing games

This is a discussion on Most Disappointing games within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #25
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Most Disappointing games

MLB The Show 21 was probably the biggest gut punch I ever had with with a sports game.

Why?

Because I am such a die hard Show fan and player. I have adored this series for almost 15 years.

I won’t get into the reasons as I am sure for most they have been well documented. I just loathe the game and it felt like a completely different development team made that game.

Also Madden 22 was a disaster for me post patch 1.7 Such a huge pivot to what that game was out of the box.

Sports games in general right now have totally moved on from players like myself. Offline simulation minded franchise player.

As far as non sports I have been pretty damn lucky I have not played any clunkers save for Cyberpunk 2077 which I am going to give another shot with the next gen patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2022, 12:46 PM   #26
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
MLB The Show 21 was probably the biggest gut punch I ever had with with a sports game.

Why?

Because I am such a die hard Show fan and player. I have adored this series for almost 15 years.

I won’t get into the reasons as I am sure for most they have been well documented. I just loathe the game and it felt like a completely different development team made that game.

Also Madden 22 was a disaster for me post patch 1.7 Such a huge pivot to what that game was out of the box.

Sports games in general right now have totally moved on from players like myself. Offline simulation minded franchise player.

As far as non sports I have been pretty damn lucky I have not played any clunkers save for Cyberpunk 2077 which I am going to give another shot with the next gen patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I hope those in charge skim thru these pages and take note and realize what they've done to deserve such honors for "Most Disappointing"
Old 03-27-2022, 10:01 PM   #27
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Off the top of my head:

The Last of Us 2- I didn't like first one as much as most people, but I still thought it was a very good game. The second one, I did not like.

Horizon Zero Dawn 2- I loved the first one. Biggest disappointment from gaming in 2022 so far IMO.

Mass Effect Andromeda- While not as bad as it's reputation, still a big disappointment.

SMT5- I certainly lean more Persona than main line SMT, but SMT5 is just a bad version of Nocturne infected by the worst parts of the current open world game design philosophy of the gaming industry.

Breath of the Wild- I enjoyed it, but people were calling this the GOAT. The boss battles were awful and although I like the shrines, the four actual dungeons were crap compared to the standard of the other 3D Zelda games.

As for some of the ones already mentioned-

FF15- I was already disappointed by FF13, so my expectations were low. I didn't think FF15 was bad, just strange. On a grander scale, FF peaked in the 90s (SNES + PS1) and has been on a slow decline since.

AC Valhalla- AC Unity was the last true AC game. Ever since then they've slowly moved into being an aggressively mediocre RPG franchise. I'd actually like to see them remaster AC1, and fix all the issues with that game.

The Witness- While I wasn't expecting Braid 2, this was disappointing.

Fallout 4- Yup, Bethesda killed Fallout long before Fallout 76.

Cyberpunk 2077- I haven't played it yet, but at some point I'll pick up the PC version for cheap and will probably be disappointed.

The Witcher 3- This game actually exceeded my expectations. I wasn't able to get into it's predecessors, so the fact that I loved this game outside of the combat against mobs says something.

GTA 5- I enjoyed it and I while I wouldn't say I was disappointed, I think the game is overrated. As per above, the series peaked on the PS2.

God of War (4)- I had been down on the series so I was pleasantly surprised. The game picks up once you get the chains back.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order- The best Star Wars game since Force Unleashed 1. After years of endless trash, I was thrilled to get something this good, even if it is essentially baby's first Dark Souls. It's too bad, because back in the 90s and 00s, while there was a lot of garbage, there were a ton of quality Star Wars games to balance it out.

Last edited by rdnk; 03-27-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #28
Rookie

Cash Stevens's Arena

Watch Dogs Legion - no game has made me want to get an actual refund.. this game did. I was possibly the biggest Watch Dogs 2 fan, the hacking was so good, the story was good enough and I loved the San Fran map. Was so hyped for legion because my girl is from London so it's a game I could play and she'd be interested... But nah this was the worst open world game I've ever played. Got about 3hrs in and stopped

Last of Us 2 - after watching the way they killed our guy... I just couldn't play on, the characters and story was nothing like the first, nowhere near as good.

Witcher 3 - just couldn't get into it.. I did buy it on switch tho, so maybe with the ps5 upgrade I'll buy if then

Madden 22 - what a joke.. a buggy mess. How's Madden 22 worse than madden 12 that was released 10 years ago?

UFC 4 - basically the same game as UFC 3 wtf

Botw- so overrated that it disappointed me... Had fun playing it but nah, definitely not one of the greatest games of all time
Old 04-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #29
MVP

SuperSeahawks's Arena

OVR: 14

Madden 22 - Expected a lot with the new franchise updates, but we had to wait for the new scouting to be included a few months after launch (and it ended up being worse than the previous system). Didn't enjoy the gameplay on the field either so I was massively disappointed in EA for this one.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Expectations were sky high after Arkham City and with the inclusion of Gotham and the Batmobile. Arkham Knight is still a really good game, but the empty city shtick got old and the batmobile battle tank wasn't fun to use.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War - Shadow of Mordor came out of nowhere and was a really fun game using the Arkham combat style. Shadow of War was too bloated and grindy for my liking. Didn't bother to finish the main story.

PSN: SeahawkFan11OS

GT: SuperSeahawks

Twitch
Old 04-09-2022, 12:52 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSeahawks
Batman: Arkham Knight - Expectations were sky high after Arkham City and with the inclusion of Gotham and the Batmobile. Arkham Knight is still a really good game, but the empty city shtick got old and the batmobile battle tank wasn't fun to use.
I agree.

Arkham City was my favorite one out of the trilogy(would love a remaster of that one). But, Arkham Knight was a disappointment in comparison. I must say that I did still play through it twice and on the 2nd go round I nearly 100% the game outside of the Riddler stuff, and I never try to 100% games or go after trophies. It was a good game, though it was a little predictable(whereas AC tried to implement a twist). Making the Batmobile a core staple of the game was where it lost me. Especially with the repetitive battles and a decent chunk of the missions are strictly based on Batmobile.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:03 PM   #31
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

For me I would have to say the "Modern" Assassins Creed games. From Origins on they just have lost the thread in my opinion. I have played them all and enjoyed them, I guess. But they are Historical Action RPG's and not really Assassins Creed games anymore.

The Last of Us 2 was just horrible

Mass Effect Andromeda my face is just tired

Batman Arkham Knight or Batmobile Simulator

MLB The Show 21 just blah catering to the Card Collecting Ultimate Team crowd.

Those are my main let downs of this "generation"

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2022, 12:58 PM   #32
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
GTA V: the story was bleh to me.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order: I beat it and I love everything Star Wars universe but this fell flat for me.

God of War: I just could not get into it. I tried 3 different times and each time I started over I only got a bit further. Maybe I didn't get far enough but it felt too linear to me.

Immortals Fenyx: I didn't really like the art direction here and it was too distracting.

I love a good open world game and a good rpg, but I just could not get into the above ones.
Going to add a few more here:

MLB 21: Gave it 100 hours before I went back to 20. Now with 22 out, 21 is even more disappointing.

Madden 22: This was the best Madden out of the box for me. The scouting patch and subsequent gameplay patches ruined it. I would have rather had the OOTB progressive fatigue bug than even sniff the new scouting system.

NBA 2k22: This is tricky. It is not a bad game. On the court it plays great. But off the court, there was plenty of regression and issues with editing draft classes. Took a step backwards off the court as a whole. Yes, unmatched in customization but servers being shut off will kill this in 2 years. Very disappointed in the game as a whole.

Breath of the Wild: Yes I have a Switch. Well my kids do. And I know this is another unpopular opinion. I have those a lot. But honestly where do I begin. I tried this game 3 different times. The third time after a long time trusted friend urged me to give it another try. Got further that time than the first 2 rounds. The equipment system is ridiculous. The durability is sub par. Had to carry 4 weapons of the same type at a time and still ended up having to use a branch as a sword multiple times. I am all for durability on gear. Give me a sword to start and let it degrade so I can repair it. Then I can upgrade and replace it as I go. Poor design choice. I did quite a bit of exploring as well and the world was very good looking and open but it wasn't enough. Personally not even a top 5 switch game to me. Maybe I didn't get far enough. But the last attempt was 20 hours at least.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »