Home

OOTP 19 Franchise Progress

This is a discussion on OOTP 19 Franchise Progress within the OOTP Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #593
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: OOTP 19 Franchise Progress

The Angels are set to begin the 2043 season. However, they will have to do so without closer Ben Vaughn. He tore a flexor in his throwing elbow and it is expected to keep him out of action for the entire season at the minimum.

Also out for the season is LF Ernesto Quintana. While Quintana was likely to fill a bench role, he would have been a very good option.

Vaughn will be the big blow, however. Moulin has mentioned that he'll start with a closer-by-committee approach, perhaps in an effort to see who looks most suited to the role for the later part of the season. Then again, he might just go with it all season long, especially if the team is doing well overall.

Offensively, the Angels hope RF Jon Davies will pay off and help provide a more steady approach. BNN is not high on Davies, calling him the 25th-ranked right fielder in the game, though that seems to be selling him short as scouts like his average/power combo at the plate on top of whatever he might give in the bullpen.

The real holes in the lineup are likely from the same places: second base, third base, and catcher. The four players collectively vying for the positions, Hamm, Onada, Goto, and Mangrum, all have various flaws, some significant, and none of them project much above average at the plate.

Pitching-wise, the Angels are expected to be more than fine. McGlauflin is still an ace in the league while Hatakeyama and Micciche are still holding on to their good-but-not-great skill sets. Hatakeyama will turn 39 during the season, and there's some concern about him holding on to his usual high-innings workload though being a knuckleballer might help keep him going.

The bullpen, aside from the hole left by Vaughn, should hold its own. Zach Crail and Mike Luedke make their debuts in the bullpen, though each would like a starting opportunity. Micciche might be shipped out while he still has this year and next under team control, opening one spot, potentially. Josh Griggs also makes his debut in replacement of Vaughn.

Betancourt, a flamethrowing lefty, and Calliste are the experienced members of the relief staff and are likely expected to lead the way.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #594
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

God I love this game... Can't wait to see what OOTP 20 will have in store for us.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #595
MVP

saintrules's Arena

OVR: 0

April Results

With Spring Training underway I got the baseball itch back and booted up another dynasty. Decided to use the Cubbies because I know I won't run them for OOTP 20.

I already know we are going to be a dominant force in the NL with this lineup, but as it was in real life, the Cubs were a big hit and miss type of roster. I definitely have my concerns about the starting rotation, but low key, also have my concerns about the future of guys like Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber who I think got a LOT of hype early in their careers and may not meet the expectations the fan base has for them.

So far we are through May 1st and hold a record of 21-9, good for first in the NL Central by four games. Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Milwaukee, are all behind by at least four, but no more than five and a half, while Cincy is already well behind at twelve and a half games out. The Dodgers and Mets are the closest two NL teams to our record with 18 wins, while Boston in the AL has 19.

Starting Lineup
1. 2B Ian Happ (.272/6 HR/16 RBI/14 BB/28 K)
2. CF Albert Almora (.290/1 HR/8 RBI/3 BB/13 K)
3. 3B Kris Bryant (.295/4 HR/12 RBI/22 BB/33 K)
4. 1B Anthony Rizzo (.288/7 HR/21 RBI/23 BB/20 K)
5. LF Kyle Schwarber (.292/9 HR/19 RBI/22 BB/30 K)
6. C Wilson Contreras (.297/7 HR/20 RBI/13 BB/28 K)
7. RF Jason Heyward (.262/1 HR/13 RBI/5 BB/9 K)
8. SS Ben Zobrist (.242/4 HR/15 RBI/11 BB/15 K)

For the most part, our bats are the number one reason we've been so dominant to start our campaign. It's hard to choose who has been best on our team thus far because they're all doing something a bit different. Schwarber is currently tied for 1st in the NL in homers with nine, Bryant is third in Runs with twenty five, and Rizzo leads our club in RBI's with twenty one. Simply put, fantastic April.

Bench
SS Addison Russell (.282/4 HR/14 RBI/6 BB/13 K) - Injured 4 Weeks
SS Javier Baez (.174/1 HR/4 RBI/4 BB/12 K)
C Victor Caratini (.455/0 HR/1 RBI/0 BB/2 K)
2B Tommy La Stella (.400/0 HR/3 RBI/0 BB/3 K)
RF Mark Zagunis (.133/0 HR/0 RBI/5 BB/4 K)

Addy going down with the injury definitely put us into a short term slump, but we rallied towards the end of the month to recover. Baez currently leads us off versus lefties, but overall, nobody on the pine has really done anything to warrant seeing more time on a daily basis...funny how much Baez has changed in the real world compared to this game.

Starting Rotation
1. SP Jose Quintana (5-1/47.1 IP/3.42 ERA/13 BB/46 K)
2. SP Yu Darvish (2-1/38.0 IP/3.32 ERA/10 BB/47 K)
3. SP Jon Lester (4-0/45.0 IP/2.40 ERA/13 BB/39 K)
4. SP Kyle Hendricks (3-1/37.2 IP/3.35 ERA/12 BB/40 K)
5. SP Mike Montgomery (3-1/36.2 IP/2.21 ERA/13 BB/24 K)

If April is an indicator to how this rotation will work out for the season, we're in good shape. We're managing to get our starters deep in the game more times than not and the back part of the rotation is actually looking pretty solid. Lester definitely has been best thus far, working the second most innings behind Q and serving up the second lowest ERA.

Bullpen
LRP Brian Duensing (0-0/6.2 IP/0.00 ERA/2 BB/4 K)
LRP Steve Cishek (0-0/4.0 IP/0.00 ERA/1 BB/3 K)
MRP Pedro Strop (0-1/7.1 IP/6.14 ERA/1 BB/12 K)
MRP Tyler Chatwood (1-1/13.2 IP/3.29 ERA/7 BB/15 K)
SU Justin Wilson (1-0/13.0 IP/1.38 ERA/8 BB/17 K/2 SV)
SU Carl Edwards Jr (1-0/10.1 IP/3.48 ERA/7 BB/10 K/2 SV)
CL Brandon Morrow (1-3/14.2 IP/3.84 ERA/5 BB/11 K/7 SV)

Brandon Morrow is on thin ice thus far, blowing a save or two across April and just generally kinda stinking it up. Carl Edwards Jr and Justin Wilson haven't necessarily earned the spot either, struggling at times to close things out. With that said, Wilson has a chance to dance into that closer role for a few games as I figure out what to do with Morrow, or at the very least, let him cool off a bit.

Last edited by saintrules; 02-20-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2019, 08:51 PM   #596
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Happy with how my MLB+2 expansion is going and will be playing that for sure.

I also wanted to get a setup going where it's All-Time Franchises of sorts but with more of a random roster instead of the 25 best players ever on each team. Having Manny Trillo at 3B instead of Ron Santo for the Cubs, for instance.

I am doing the inaugural draft now for all 26 teams and it's a bit of a haul because--even though I like to think I know an awful lot of baseball players--there are just so many under-the-radar types that I have to look up what team to put them on. Maybe some dude just had a cuppa coffee in 1946 and so forth. For the record, I am starting this save in 1979 (post expansion to MON and TOR, pre expansions of the 1990s) with modern day financials and randomly debuting players from 1930 to the present. It's actually a lot of fun drafting for each team, but it does take a while. I can't wait to see what the first draft class will have in it...

Additional settings: reserve rosters (no minors) and block teams from roster churn so the right players stay on each team all year. There will be a 10 round draft each year so that's really the only way teams can alter their roster aside from reserve roster players dethroning active players. That and maybe a guy who played part of his career somewhere being traded to the other part of his career team. Would be especially rare though.

Just for giggles, here is how the first round of the inaugural draft went (note, I didn't necessarily make the best pick for each team, but settled on the first name I saw for each team):

Spoiler

VERY interesting to see how these teams are starting to fill out.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:55 AM   #597
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

September 2043

The Angels season was going well overall. Other than a 3-week slump as June turned to July, the team was on cruise control.

The lead shrunk to 2 1/2 games at that low point but had built back up to eight games...

Then Misato got hurt for 6 weeks. A few weeks later, Maeda also went down (both with injured ACLs, which gave the team a serious scare and maybe have damaged Maeda's speed permanently).

Since then, the Angels have been treading water at best. The offense was exposed for what it is - a lineup heavily driven by the two sparkplugs at the top.

The lead is still decent heading into September, thanks moreso to the rest of the division being inconsistent, though still competitive and a threat. Misato has returned and, hopefully, Maeda will return on schedule. Still, even those few weeks are scary.

The Angels are fortunate their starting rotation is insanely steady. Perhaps no "great" arms, though McGlauflin is still ace-caliber, but none of them have had any sort of down season overall. Kano, youngest of the group, has the worst ERA at 3.62.

The bullpen has some warts, but the ugliest warts are on the offense. Catcher continues to be the one spot the Angels have zero luck with. Matt Abrams was brought in for his leadership and that's about all he's contributing with a .116 batting average in 289 plate appearances. Meanwhile, Brad Childers is doing "better" with a .194 batting average in 319 plate appearances.

"The have a pitcher-level bat hitting 9th. Amazing, " one scout spoke.

Since September has arrived, the team scoured the high minors looking for anyone with a semblance of development to get some time behind the plate at the majors. A pair of young players were selected, Tiziano Osorio and Rogellio Gastellum. Also in the mix is called up reliever Steve Olson. While Olson was called up for a different reason, he could possibly have a role as a two-way catcher/reliever. They will split time behind the plate for the balance of the season.

"Hopefully, they both think of this as an extended "spring training" and an early chance to make an impression, because that's exactly what it is, " Angels GM Xander Yarrow commented.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:52 AM   #598
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

2043 Report

The Angels managed to win the division with a seven game lead, surviving starting the month with Maeda injured.

For the angst about the rest of the lineup, Luis Guardado continued to be remarkably consistent even as his hyper-aggressive style at the plate has become less of a headline. The attention to it has faded, but he's still doing his thing. He walked only 30 times and struck out just 28 times. It's worked for another year of .300+ batting average and .800+ OPS. Some wonder if he's actually helping since he's a DH and not putting up the prolific power numbers.

Also working in pretty much complete obscurity from the baseball media is Luis Amarante. Even in Angels media, he's often overlooked. But the 27-year-old is well-regarded by fans and the front office for his hustle style and seeming to produce more than his skills would indicate. This really shines on defense, bringing a center fielder's production to left field.

Ishida is also improving gradually. His walks improved, leading to a sizable jump in on-base percentage, though his power output is still disappointing.

And of course, the offseason trade to bring in Jon Davies. His two-way ability aside, Davies won people over with his .944 OPS. His power in about a half-season's worth of PAs helped the cause.

In all, it was enough, especially with the return of the top two hitters, to put together the top run-production in the AL in support of a very consistent pitching staff.

Postseason Report

The Angels faced the Mariners in the ALDS and were able to defeat their division rivals 3-1. The Angles faced the Tigers, who also won 3-1 in their series against the Yankees.

This ALCS contest featured several back-and-forth games, all of them decided by one-run leading into game six with the Angels up 3-2 in the series. The Tigers' own fireball and best shortstop in the game, Luis Gamboa, led his offense in the contested series. However, in game six, McGlauflin did what aces do, slam the door in the clinching game. He pitched seven innings of one-hit ball to guide the Angels to a 6-0 clinching win.

In the World Series, the Angels faced Davies' old team, the Reds. Davies must have been psyched up for this series because he hit six home runs, the only home runs in hit in the playoffs, in this series. This outburst combined with solid starting pitching gave the series to the Angels in a sweep, marking Moulin's seventh World Series victory.

Uncertainty to Come?

The Angels might be facing uncertainty come 2044, however. The team will almost certainly let SP Jake Micciche go as negotiations are not going well with him. Likewise, the team will likely refuse arbitration to Ben Vaughn, freeing up his potential $12 million arbitration number.

It's expected that the Angels trying to position the finances so that Hatakeyama and Misato can be extended without much problems (or luxury tax costs). Misato in particular is expected to drive a hard bargain as he would be intensely sought after as a free agent and the pressure to keep him will be high from the Angels fan base. Hatakeyama might be easier to negotiate with if last talks were any indication. But then that risk is extending a pitcher who will be 40 at the time. He's a knuckleballer but even their arms give out eventually.

Also coming up is Jon Davies. He's entering his arbitration years, and those figures aren't pretty after this coming offseason. That will likely be the case barring something equally unwanted - a sharp decline.

Another potential savings might be trading Saiki. His name has come up in the past and he would very likely not be a fourth starter on many other staffs. As such, interest could be high for him. He is about $16 millon on the cap.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #599
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Angels Retire Mavity's #4

Tim Mavity retired after the season ended, marking the end of a 19-year career. He retires with a 175-87 mark and a 3.54 ERA. Most of that was produced with the Angels. He played for a few seasons after the Angels let him go, bouncing around as a reliever before retirement. Mavity's "rules" made him a known figure even while he was working in the minors.

"Didn't follow his rules, prepare to get hit with a pitch, " one scout laughed, "I thought he was all talk until I saw him hit three guys because they kept stepping out. That was one of his rules, step out more than once, get hit."

While never a top-tier pitcher, Mavity excelled at two things: preventing home runs and hitting batters.

Mavity allowed just 98 home runs in his career, only three times allowing more than seven in a season. Two of those seasons came in 2033-2034 where he allowed 28 home runs, his final two seasons as a full-time starter.

On the hitting batters front, Mavity checks in with 476 hit batsmen in his career. The move to the bullpen didn't diminish his love of intimidating hitters. In fact, he may have felt more free to do so.

"When you face a guy once in a game, you can really go all out messing with him because you won't see him later. He can be mad and stuff on the bench and by the time he's up again, I'm gone. And if he stews about it until tomorrow, I'm really in his head and I loved it, " Mavity commented.

Mavity's an unlikely choice for the Hall, though, we never know. Last year's inductee is proof of that.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:24 AM   #600
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Nice to see it's 2043 and the Angels are still winning 100 games per annum. I think the Yankees of the 20th century have been supplanted by a new "it" franchise. A paragon of winning baseball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball »