Home

OOTP 20 Franchise Progress Thread

This is a discussion on OOTP 20 Franchise Progress Thread within the OOTP Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: OOTP 20 Franchise Progress Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
How are you liking playing with a losing team after so many seasons of 100+ wins with the Angels?

And inquiring minds want to know if you are trying to trade for Ohtani?

Well, at this rate, we'll be pushing .500 after starting 1-13, so maybe not losing after all *hopeful*

But it's fine. I have a blank canvas basically and I like actually being able to care about "blue chip" prospects because I might actually get a choice of a few...or whoever I want.

And I love drafting and developing and scouting for talent (as you know), so that's basically how rebuilding teams do it. Already bought a few indy leaguers who are young to help stock the minors.

Interested to see what storylines might pop up. I know there was one where "a player" emailed me saying that he wished there was more veteran leadership. So I went and got some guy who hopefully will never have to touch a bat just for his leadership. Got an email from the players saying they appreciated it.

It was then our turn around into something resembling competitive started. Coincidence?

It's fun, it's a different challenge, and yes if I can swing a trade for Ohtani, you know bloody freaking damn well I will. It happened in my second Marlins franchise where the Angels got new ownership and the first thing he did was offer me Ohtani in OOTP19, so....

Speaking of two-way players...there are SO MANY in the draft. Is this a thing in the real game now? Are kids being developed as possible two-ways if they show the skills?

So the Foxes are the lab that will try to develop a team of two-ways...????

Last edited by KBLover; 03-20-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #18
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Spent some time making deals for the Cubbies as I continue to informally beta test OOTP 20 (before I do my traditional expansion save)...I think most Cub fans would be happy with my work, lol. See below:

In the first trade I used Ian Happ as the sweetener to dump 5 years of Jason Heyward onto the Rangers for 2 years of Shin-Soo Choo at the same AAV.

The second deal did a lot of things for me. Exchanged Addison Russell for Andrelton Simmons using Kyle Schwarber as the bait. Took Kole Calhoun off their hands so Schwarber would have a regular spot in the OF. Also dumped Tyler Chatwood while retaining only 25% of his salary. This was a most productive trade.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

2019 Season

The Foxes saw their season end as poorly as it began. Whether it was late season injuries, young players running out of gas, or just a harsh reality check to end 2019, the Foxes lost 90 games after looking like they would avoid that fate.

As far as the team's performance, the defense showed up as a strength as expected. In fact, it was probably a key factor in the team being competitive, given the rankings of most of the rest of the metrics. The other strength was a mild surprise - leading the NL in stolen bases.

Justin Williams and Ronald Guzman gave fine performances and should make the Foxes consider them as key parts of the lineup. Both seem to be growing into some power potential as well as showing improving bat control and strike zone discipline. If this continues, at least the middle of the order can start taking shape.

Reese McGuire is also looking like an early key cog, this time as much for his off-the-field contribution as on the field. Several teammates credited Reese with smoothing out the emotions and showing maturity beyond his experience.

"The offense I think is just a matter of getting the player types we want developed and figuring out how we can get the most out of them. It's the pitching situation that might need a lot of our attention, " G.M. Lyle commented.

Indeed, the Foxes pitching staff really fell apart down the stretch. One bit of adjustment is figuring out the bullpen usage and the preferences of manager Alex Hidalgo.

"I think what he wants to do can work, but we might have to revise things or figure out how to build the roster because I think guys clearly wore down. It might be a skill set issue here, too. Just part of the feeling out period and working out the kinks, " G.M. Lyle commented.

Hidalgo went 70-74 after he was brought in to replace the previous manager who either had no real interest in working with a literal new team or just couldn't reach the players. That kind of performance might have the front office hopeful that Hidalgo, just 34 years old himself, is a good fit.

While the bullpen struggled in the end, the rotation stayed decent. Gomber was a pleasant surprise as he put up a very solid ERA despite not scouting impressively. Perhaps his one very big strength, his plus-plus change-up is shining through.

Going forward, the Foxes figure to stay with the plan of developing and seeing who will rise up and take a step forward.

"We have plenty of work to do and a lot of kinks to work out. We have to learn our park, learn our people, and learn how to make it all work together. I can't call this year a disappointment, in fact we were competitive, even in most of our losses. Just growing pains, " G.M. Lyle spoke.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #20
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Still prepping for the first season and I ended up signing Cole Hamels to a 1 year contract extension for $1M. A bargain.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #21
All Star

OVR: 8

Pretty sure I'm going to start over tomorrow with the final build.

I want a front line starter for the 2019 Braves just wondering who I should go after. I went for Madison Bumgarner in my beta play, and I'm leaning towards him again. He's good, he's not overly expensive, and i don't think he would cost a ton of prospects since he's on his final contract year.

Thoughts on other options like him? I'm thinking someone in the 28-31 range I can get 2 or 3 good years out of.

The game was pretty happy to do a Folty for Bumgarner trade straight up. You guys think that's fair? They would be getting a younger pitcher with more control, but I'm getting the better pitcher still young enough to re-sign to a multi year deal which makes me think I should throw in something extra, even if the ai is happy with it

Sent from my S10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #22
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
The Foxes saw their season end as poorly as it began. Whether it was late season injuries, young players running out of gas, or just a harsh reality check to end 2019, the Foxes lost 90 games after looking like they would avoid that fate...
Not a SABR team for sure. Last in FIP and last in OBP. Not a whole lot you can do with a 1st year expansion team though. Were you tempted to sign Kimbrel or Keuchel? Those guys would've helped out probably.

How close did Justin Williams come to leading the league in BA? A .329 average might've been close.

Did I read that right? Did you fire the original manager after 15-20 games? lol
Old 03-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Pretty sure I'm going to start over tomorrow with the final build.

I want a front line starter for the 2019 Braves just wondering who I should go after. I went for Madison Bumgarner in my beta play, and I'm leaning towards him again. He's good, he's not overly expensive, and i don't think he would cost a ton of prospects since he's on his final contract year.

Thoughts on other options like him? I'm thinking someone in the 28-31 range I can get 2 or 3 good years out of.

The game was pretty happy to do a Folty for Bumgarner trade straight up. You guys think that's fair? They would be getting a younger pitcher with more control, but I'm getting the better pitcher still young enough to re-sign to a multi year deal which makes me think I should throw in something extra, even if the ai is happy with it

Sent from my S10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Yeah, that actually seems pretty fair. Bumgarner's MOV rating is pretty lackluster due to him allowing 1.4 HR/9 last season. 3 years of Folty for 1 year of a diminished Bumgarner seems fine. Maybe toss in a lotto ticket if you feel you might regret it later.

Danny Salazar, Michael Fulmer, Robbie Ray, and Mike Leake could be some other options for you.

One thing that'll be fascinating in OOTP 20 is the live updates and how that factors into trade fairness down the line.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #24
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

At first I couldn't figure out what the (Fo) meant...

But it looks like the Royals are going with an opener/follower strategy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball »