Home

Fans of this series, sell me on it...

This is a discussion on Fans of this series, sell me on it... within the OOTP Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Fans of this series, sell me on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
I've been considering this game. I've actually thought about getting it for the last couple of seasons but haven't pulled the trigger. I love baseball and love some of the front office stuff. I've been missing a lot of that when playing The Show.

So if you're already a fan please tell me why I should invest in this series? Thank you in advance to those who take the time to give me some insight.
I bought it for the fist time a couple of days ago when it went on sale for $20. I'm an avid "The Show" player (play almost daily) and never thought much of a baseball game where you don't really control the action. But I was looking for something that was sort of background noise for my "work from home" quarantine. I was thinking I was going to be overwhelmed and confused by the amount of depth and the amount of information on the user interface I was happily wrong. I was up and running with "Perfect Team" in no time and it didn't take long to figure things out. Weirdly enough I find myself tweaking my line up, searching the market for upgrades, and generally having a good time with the game. The solo game is great as well, I'm trying to turn the pathetic 1986 Mariners into a winner and stop the Red Sox from fleecing them via trades...can't wait to see how it turns out, currently 1-1...Langston just threw a complete game. Gorman Thomas is 0-6 with 3 k's....need a new DH....hmmmm
Old 07-03-2020, 09:38 AM   #10
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

I guess the biggest thing is, this is the best baseball simulation on the market. Until MLB The Show gets on PC (if it does), this is the best option.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #11
Rookie

OReilly10's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz2
I'm trying to turn the pathetic 1986 Mariners into a winner and stop the Red Sox from fleecing them via trades...can't wait to see how it turns out, currently 1-1...Langston just threw a complete game. Gorman Thomas is 0-6 with 3 k's....need a new DH....hmmmm
ha, thats great.

This stuff is what sets OOTP apart IMO. Perfect Team is great, but not without flaws... probably needs a few more years of development and balancing to be honest.

The endless possibilities and history with the solo game is fantastic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2020, 08:39 PM   #12
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OReilly10
ha, thats great.

This stuff is what sets OOTP apart IMO. Perfect Team is great, but not without flaws... probably needs a few more years of development and balancing to be honest.

The endless possibilities and history with the solo game is fantastic.
I'll admit, I'm having more fun with Perfect Team than whatever MLB The Show does.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #13
Rookie

OReilly10's Arena

OVR: 7

Perfect team has a really good concept down, but IMO still needs quite a bit of work in balancing, card options, and remaining 'fun'

This year, the live collection rewards were easy to get, but overpowered. This gave everyone the same cards at certain levels. These cards carry very little value due to being so common. Upgrades are very uncommon and are super expensive (like to the tune of multiple hundreds or real dollars equivalent). To try to mitigate that, they seemed to try to dump more really good cards in there which result in some head-scratching players... and they are still impossible to get. I have 1 team I spent a few bucks on during the lockdown as well as 2 others, and they are all kind of floating in a purgatory between the Gold and Diamond levels.

And I get that you need to really feel it when you get good cards, and things shouldnt be easy and everyone doesnt need gratification all the time.... but darn it, these packs give you nothing like 99.9% of the time, and there is zero way to earn Perfect Points other than cheating the system (tanking).

I love the variability and how many players there are. Also really like the tournament structure for the most part, although the interface there needs further development.

IMO the possibilities for this are endless. I love the fact that its sims and not playing. It doesnt need to take a ton of time. The app is forthcoming which will increase access tenfold. The developers are also fans too and listen and implement suggestions.

Last edited by OReilly10; 07-17-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #14
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I wish OOTP allowed me to play, not just sim. If this game had the depth it does *and* you could play games traditionally? Oh man.

Simming through games is fun, but not the same as actually playing. I kinda wish you could pick specific pitches to try for pitchers in certain situations. If they add *that* depth it'd be really really cool. Or specifically have hitters in one at bat decide whether they want a contact swing or a power swing, attempt opposite way, etc.

I always try to play this game. This year I've actually immersed myself in it. It's overwhelming but amazing in most ways. It's so extensive. And I mostly only concern myself with the franchise mode.

If I started a season in a past year, does it automatically load all the info on all the players and all the ratings and everything?
Old 07-25-2020, 11:59 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I wish OOTP allowed me to play, not just sim. If this game had the depth it does *and* you could play games traditionally? Oh man.

Simming through games is fun, but not the same as actually playing. I kinda wish you could pick specific pitches to try for pitchers in certain situations. If they add *that* depth it'd be really really cool. Or specifically have hitters in one at bat decide whether they want a contact swing or a power swing, attempt opposite way, etc.

I always try to play this game. This year I've actually immersed myself in it. It's overwhelming but amazing in most ways. It's so extensive. And I mostly only concern myself with the franchise mode.

If I started a season in a past year, does it automatically load all the info on all the players and all the ratings and everything?

So you can only watch the game you don’t get to mage the game by choosing bunt or hit and run or pulling pitchers?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneyteam1212
So you can only watch the game you don’t get to mage the game by choosing bunt or hit and run or pulling pitchers?
Everything you do is from the management side. So you can choose to bunt for a hit, hit and run, warm up pitchers, double switch etc. It does feel very disconnected though.
Basically your options are
Swing away
Bunt for hit
Take pitch
Steal
Hit and run
Similar options on the pitching side, and you can

You can either have the game let you choose those selections each pitch or have it so you pick 1 per at bat and then have the game just show you the result (swing and miss, grounder to the left side etc) if you want a little faster experience

All you get though are very basic 3d models which removes a lot of the immersion from the game.

It is still a great game but I do agree that I wish there was a way to get MLB the show type gameplay with Ootp depth

Sent from my S10 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball »