Home

Major League Baseball 2K6 Review (360)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K6 Review (360) within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #41
Running of the Bulls

Macar91's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Major League Baseball 2K6 Review (360)

Wow fossen, very controversial review. I really liked it though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #42
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13

Fossen,

Great review. My wife bought me this game this afternoon but I'm not going to open it up and risk it being a coaster. Maybe Microsoft will certify the patch soon and the game will become playable but until that time it seems that a 1/10 is a justifiable review score.

If it looks like a duck. And it walks like a duck. Take it for a duck.
If the game looks like a bomb. And plays (or doesn't play in this case) like a bomb. Guess what? It's a bomb.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #43
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRDALE_KINGS
Fossen,

Great review. My wife bought me this game this afternoon but I'm not going to open it up and risk it being a coaster. Maybe Microsoft will certify the patch soon and the game will become playable but until that time it seems that a 1/10 is a justifiable review score.
Since many stores are now no longer doing refunds on opened copies, that's a very good idea.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
The game, out of the box, does not play. It does not play a "damn good game of baseball" for most people, because last I checked a baseball game was 9 innings. I often downplay statistical inaccuracies in baseball games, but that's one stat that's hard to ignore.
I may have disagreed with you on the franchise thread, but I completely agree with you here. Thanks for not pulling any punches, and thanks for not accepting an inferior product with your review.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #45
Banned

It's sad to see operation sports jumping on the "Bash 2K' bandwagon. This was one of the most irresponsible "reviews" I've read in a while. 1 outta 10? Come on. To say that the game doesn't work means that for the past week I've been only dreaming that my copy works and I've been playing some great games of baseball.

When something doesn't work it means it doesn't work. Not doesn't work for some and not others. Not sometimes work and sometimes does. It means it DOES NOT WORK, PERIOD. Mine works and, believe it or not, the vast majority of buyer's copies work. If they didn't all stores across america would be getting returns for EVERY game they sold and that's not happening. I've been asking everyday I visit my usual spots and I've yet to hear of games being returned en mass.

I thought there were adults here running this show? A simple 5 outta 10 would have sufficed for the simple reason that yours did crash. More over the gameplay is correct. The momentum in fielding is as it should be. No turbo-ing recklessly with not a care in the world, no turning on a dime. Some actual THOUGHT has to be used when fielding the ball or do you guys think MLB players get payed millions to be dumb? I for one am glad they tried to convey the intricacies of the game and I believe they did a good job of it.

I know I'll probably get flamed and up until today I wouldn't expect to but... So I'm sorry that a few of you are having issues with the game and feel disappointed with 2K's offerings but I for one will be quite content till 2007 with this game. I'll have even more fun when our league kicks off and I feel confident enough to start my franchise seriously.

Peace.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
I know I'll probably get flamed and up until today I wouldn't expect to but...
Not going to flame you as it's your opinion. But note that it's an opinion coming from a guy with nearly 7000 posts on the 2ksports.com message boards. Obviously a huge fan of 2K Sports games which might possibly render the review skewed.

I'm as frustrated as the next regarding the freezing in this game (which does seem to occur to more users than not). However with a lot of slider tweaking, I agree that MLB2K6 does a lot of things right when it doesn't freeze. The pitching is excellent. and momentum fielding is a step in the right direction - although should be a little more forgiving for players that are "fleet of foot". The hitting isn't so good IMO. The TrueAim system that was used in 2004 was a much better all around system IMO.

With that said, my biggest issue is the CPU running game. It's the only problem I can't resolve with sliders or by any other means. Example: CPU runner on 2B, hit to the right side and he dives back into 2B. Or guy on 3B, deep flyball to the warning track, player on 3B doesn't tagup everytime. He does sometimes, but not all of them - and he should.

Personally I'd probably rate the game higher. However, I'm not experiencing freezing every single time I play a game. Just occassionally...which is still unnacceptable.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #47
Banned

dkgojackets's Arena

OVR: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
I'll have even more fun when our league kicks off and I feel confident enough to start my franchise seriously.

Peace.
Confident enough it wont freeze up after you havent saved for a while?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgojackets
Confident enough it wont freeze up after you havent saved for a while?
No confident enough in my skills to start a franchise. I save after every game and alternate saves. That's a lesson I learned in my computer gaming days. We alternate saves. Games used to freeze like he.ll back then only when didn't go crying to the boards about it. Tried to resolve or work with the dev to resolve.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »