Home

Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

This is a discussion on Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

We have just posted an article entitled, Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate, written by Dave Branda.
"Year after year, 2K Sports and EA Sports miss the mark when it comes to their games. They always seem to be close to making a truly great game, but then ceremoniously shoot themselves in the foot and revert in quality. You almost have to wonder if they’ve ever been told that certain things drives gamers wacky. Well …wonder no more. Here are the top five things sports game developers do that drive us to drink. And if we missed something that drives you looney, make sure to let us know in our forums."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 62
Great article.

I definitely agree with most of it, especially the blood pouring from the head in NHLPA 93.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13
Can you add to the list - NOT having features in Next gen games that are in Current gen games (I'm talking to you Madden!)
Old 02-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn33
Can you add to the list - NOT having features in Next gen games that are in Current gen games (I'm talking to you Madden!)
Don't forget NCAA in that cold hard stare of disappointment. Heck, I am just waiting for EA to catch up to some features they had back in the PS1 days.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

#5 is the biggest, too many sports games simply aren't fun anymore. The 2K basketball titles are about it for me these days, though MLB2K7 was fun but I definitely had to look past a ton of glitches to play it. Hopefully 2K8 will be very entertaining as well. I don't know if I'll ever buy another football title, they are way too complicated these days and provide little fun for me.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

#1. Online leagues ARE a pain in the butt.

#2. Regarding EA's NHL series and fighting/blood inconsistency, I was told a lot of that was due to the NHL and the PA flip-flopping on how they wanted their league to be perceived (remember this was about the time that Bettman became commissioner). As far as dropping features when going from current-gen to next-gen, most of those features need complete rebuilding and can't get ported. Dev teams runs out of time.

#3. Real money is a league/PA issue. For years on EA's baseball series, for example, we couldn't use real dollars because the MLBPA didn't let us, so we had to use "points".

#4. As I've said before, most of the real decision-makers (execs, marketing) don't really care about realism. They want gimmicks to market, and those tend to chew up a lot of dev time.

#5. Devs are juggling many more balls than they used to. Quite often, I'm afraid, making a sports title is a mad scramble to make a ship date so you don't get canned/demoted.

I'm generalizing, of course. Some dev teams really go above and beyond. If your gameplay engine is really solid, it gives you more time to work on the little things. Sometimes stuff happens behind the scenes that screws everything up. The real problem is that games are much more complicated than they used to be and require a longer (2-year) dev cycle to do everything properly. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 02-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6
I'll take all 5 of those suggestions and kind of roll them into one.
When it comes down to it, it seems that game developers don't listen to their customers (gamers). I don't know too many "other" business genres that can afford to regularly and consistently NOT listen to their customers. If developers realized that what gamers want is usually far more appropriate than a development team's whims and guesses, we'd not be in many of the scenarios we are in today.
Each of the areas laid out above would never have happened if the collective voice of the community were heard and appreciated. Especially in todays internet age, why is it that developers still act like they develop in a vacuum? Listen to gamers, and many of the criticisms and complaints would simply go away.... not to say they have to do everything we suggest or wish for, but just take our voice into more consideration is all.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M. Son
I'll take all 5 of those suggestions and kind of roll them into one.
When it comes down to it, it seems that game developers don't listen to their customers (gamers). I don't know too many "other" business genres that can afford to regularly and consistently NOT listen to their customers. If developers realized that what gamers want is usually far more appropriate than a development team's whims and guesses, we'd not be in many of the scenarios we are in today.
Each of the areas laid out above would never have happened if the collective voice of the community were heard and appreciated. Especially in todays internet age, why is it that developers still act like they develop in a vacuum? Listen to gamers, and many of the criticisms and complaints would simply go away.... not to say they have to do everything we suggest or wish for, but just take our voice into more consideration is all.
Read my post above. EA and 2K don't care about complaints unless they think said complaints result in lost revenues. Hardcore gamers are deemed (rightly or wrongly) to be a vocal minority who rarely put their money where their mouth is. They complain and then buy the product anyway. From a business perspective, why cater to them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »