Home

Following the Flock: My 2K Decision

This is a discussion on Following the Flock: My 2K Decision within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Following the Flock: My 2k Decision

Am I being too hasty? Have I made a huge, monumental mistake? Time will tell, I suppose, I will be certain to let you know.

The obvious question here is: And how will you ever know you made a mistake, if you never try the game? Waiting for user reviews is wise. Writing off a game just because of something you read, makes no sense to me.

I suppose online communities can in some ways 'circumvent the corporate hype machine', if that's what the exercise even is. Myself, I start from the position that it's all spin and hype, and that I'm not going to fall for any of it. So every year I rent the game, try it out, and then decide if it's worth purchasing. Guess I'm just an old-fashioned, common-sense type of person. But that comes with age: I've got enough going on in my life that I don't need to rush out and purchase these games the day they're released.

Last edited by baa7; 04-01-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
I don't get this article at all, a few paragraphs on why you didn't buy the game...uh, ok. Congrats? Can't wait to read the hard hitting article on why you didn't buy the Hannah Montana DS game.

Your article would have been locked if it was posted on the forums by the way
Old 04-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I don't get this article at all
It's a thesis on circumventing the corporate hype machine. But IMO, one allows themselves to be hyped by the corporate machine, not the other way around. And any intelligent and self-respecting person doesn't do that, bottomline.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
It's a thesis on circumventing the corporate hype machine. But IMO, one allows themselves to be hyped by the corporate machine, not the other way around. And any intelligent and self-respecting person doesn't do that, bottomline.
EG's not going to understand that reply. Too many big words.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
EG's not going to understand that reply. Too many big words.
Seriously?

That's the best you can do?

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Last edited by ExtremeGamer; 04-01-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Thumbs up Re: Following the Flock: My 2k Decision

Quote:
Actually I think the article is more of a reflection of how society is increasingly self-aware. Most people see ads more as just a piece of media rather than something that will actually get them to buy something. Recently when EA's Moore spoke about his satisfaction with the Madden franchise, he pointed towards 'metacritic' - i thought that was interesting, but also quite clever. He wasn't saying that 'hey the ny times gave it 5 stars', it was pointing to the consolidation of many reviews and opinions to reveal multiple perspectives of the game still come away positive. - ( I don't think it even deserves it metacritic rating,but that's a diff topic.) you as the consumer, provided you are interested in a product - can go to great lengths to find out more about it without leaving getting off your ash. This is a reflection of that to me.

Anyway I did the same thing the article suggests w/ madden 08 and took a pass w/o even renting.

One thing I wish game journalists would lose is their language 'buzz word culture'. The term "sadly" is WAY overused, and when I see it, it actually pisses me off now. I guess it started a year or more ago, and continues to thrive. years ago there was "the house that microsoft built" ex. "the house that ________built". You would see that on every site almost daily. Now "sadly" is much worse - it's multiple sites, multiple times daily to the point where it is used by Forum posters! It isn't 'sad' dammit ...I wish every article would be edited automatically and 'sadly' would be replaced with the much more fitting 'too bad', or 'bit of a shame' or something more appropriate.

SPREAD THE WORD..."SADLY" NEEDS TO BE BURIED IN VIDEOGAME JOURNALISM FOREVER AND EVER! NEVER LET YOURSELF USE IT AGAIN! STOP THOSE AROUND YOU FROM DOING IT TOO! ...but, sadly, it will probably continue to be used until I rip my own face off.

ps. nice soap opera going on above .. ooooh i wonder what's going to happen next!?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
Actually I think the article is more of a reflection of how society is increasingly self-aware.
Correct... which, in conjunction with discussion forums such as this one, leads to the possibility of circumventing the corporate hype machine!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #16
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Correct... which, in conjunction with discussion forums such as this one, leads to the possibility of circumventing the corporate hype machine!
yeah. Interesting thought is the cause of this shift - more like causes, and the internet is certainly one of them. I also think that it's also part of a natural flow of constantly shifting attitudes. We would think it's funny now looking at people's responses to ad's in the past. Hell, in the 50s sociological studies showed that the majority of TV owners spoke to their televisions during programs as if the people were actually with them!
I think we're better off this way

Last edited by allBthere; 04-01-2008 at 04:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »