Home

Following the Flock: My 2K Decision

This is a discussion on Following the Flock: My 2K Decision within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Following the Flock: My 2K Decision

Wil McCombs of Operation Sports has written an article discussing the impact the OS Community had on his decision in regards to purchasing Major League Baseball 2k8.

Quote:
"The verdict is in on MLB 2K8, and unfortunately for 2K sports, the sole MLB title for Xbox 360 has not been cleared of all charges. Although I have not yet had the pleasure of taking this year’s edition of the MLB 2K series for a test drive, I have read numerous reviews (on this site and others), and more importantly, monitored the chatter here in our very own OS forums."

Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
i have the game, and enjoy it despite its flaws.....most of the community's criticisms have validity in my opinion, its just a matter of how much these flaws bother you. To me, the pitching system (truly awesome and makes every pitch count) improved hitting, baseball card collecting and overall fun overcome those faults, though again, i see how others may disagree. I would suggest holding off on buying, but definitely rent it for a couple of days...( i dont think the demo on Live is enough of a sample to make a decision, i find this with most sports games)
Old 03-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
I'm a big Show fan and I also still love playing MVP '05. Last year's MLB 2k game stunk. Every other play was either a hr or a robbed hr. This year the gameplay is actually pretty good. People having trouble giving up hr's just aren't pitching well. The sliders have corrected the small gameplay problems such as AI pitchers not throwing enough balls or varying speeds/hitting corners. Also, the AI baserunning needed to be toned down because the AI was running itself out of innings trying to advance on wp's and pb's. The problems with the game are only with bugs and glitches, not gameplay. This is a shame and certainly warrants gamers being upset. If you don't pick it up make sure it is because of bug issues, not gameplay. Once you learn how to pitch and tweak the sliders the gameplay is quite good.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Legen - WAIT FOR IT

Pared's Arena

OVR: 72
You're describing what many of us have been doing with football recently.

Come hell or high water... it's about time to start waiting for impressions of a game before running out and buying it day one.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 31
Good points. It is the little things that make or break the game for each of us. Baseball I play mostly for fun, I like low scoring pitching duels and manufacturing runs. In football games the most important factor for me is to have complete roster control for all teams and a playbook editor/creator.

I held out on NCAA and Madden last year because they did not have the features I wanted and this site was of great help in saving me money!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Cyber Griffin

CFav's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Following the Flock: My 2k Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

Come hell or high water... it's about time to start waiting for impressions of a game before running out and buying it day one.
i agree 100%

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (Wii)
Transformers: War For Cybertron (DS)
Guitar Hero 5 (Wii)
Band Hero (Wii)
MUA2 (PS3/XBox 360)
Hax Attacks (iPad/iPhone)

Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

I don't buy Madden and am considering not buying NCAA this year...

The Show is the first baseball game I've owned in years.

Hockey and soccer have usually had one of the two series be good, so I always have one of those.

I got CH 2k8 and it didn't suck me in. Looks like my last basketball game for a while (2k is stale, and EA's 2 bball games suck).

I'm not as much of a sports gamer as I used to be, but when there's a quality game out there I play the hell out of it. NHL, Fifa, Skate all come to mind right now (along with The Show, that game's RTTS mode has single-handedly made me care about baseball videogames again).
Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 41

Does anyone know when the MLB 2K8 demo was released for the Xbox 360? It came out for the PS3 the week after it was released in stores, while MLB 08 came out the week before the retail release. MLB 08 is the first baseball game I've owned since MVP 2005, and I have to say, the demo was bundled so nicely that it was hard to not check out this game. I did buy it first day, and it was a risk, but it did pay off. I think that Sony may have intentionally released the 2K8 demo later so that people would buy their product on launch day.

As an individual who plays mostly sports games, there are still others that I'd like to check into, but I haven't been around here long enough to know what people's impressions are like or if I could use said impressions in making my purchasing decisions. Demos are basically my number one form of impressions, but that leaves out so much as far as actual game modes.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »