Home

OS Roundtable: Looking at the Best Sports Game Tourney

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Looking at the Best Sports Game Tourney within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Without this beconing an arguement, I have to agree with Yamabushi. Why? Because he named games that were bar-setters for there respective genres. And many of those games were the result of high technology. And Chris you are an unabashed Madden fan, so you like many other Madden fans didn't see the beauty of 2k5. No Madden before or since has duplicated the "perfect storm" of gameplay, presentation and faithfulness to the NFL. But it is about taste. For guys who religiously played STB Madden is the game that best suits that taste. But to defend Mike Tyson? Mike Tyson is truly a nostalgic pick. Look at the Fight Night series. While trying to straddle the Sim/Fun line, it actually was the best boxing virtual representation ever.

Games aren't just about the "fun" factor. They are artistic endeavors just like movies. If you guys analogies were super-imposed over that medium, then the Original King Kong was better then Peter Jacksons. Or the original Atari was superior to the 360/PS3 because it was the first. I'll grant that not all things are made better by technology. But to try to compare Atari's Adventure or Pitfall to the games we have today, come on guys. Tecmo Bowl was fun, for then in the 8-bit world. But it can't compete now. Just like old balck and white movies with stop-motion special effects. Or maybe I should use the comparison of 1920's football players against todays......
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3
"All pinnacles of their genres, which have yet to be surpassed in features or gameplay."

Not one released before 2005, I see.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #11
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25
I will be playing CHOOPS 2k8 for a long long time. I doubt that MM will be good enough in the next few years to consider me making a switch, if it is then great. But with no competition I don't see MM becoming a better game. It will have the same lasting appeal as 2k5, since it will be the best representation of College Hoops for the coming years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 22
Talk about being full of it. Dissing NFL2k5 and CH2k8 , well the reason anyone remember those other old games like Tecmo super bowl and Griffin baseball whatever, is the lack of competetion in those early years and really, the lack of true representation of the sport got filled with a boyīs imagination. Tecmo superbowl isnīt a great football game, mike tyson punch out isnītībetter than Fight night, the show is clearly much better than whatever old baseball game. NHL 94 is garbage compared to even a game like NHL98.

So roundtable guys, you are the ones that should stop voting with bias, which clearly is based on old fond memories, but still just mediocre games that were GOOD then, not now.

BTW, anyone who thinks the money goal NHL94(aim top shelf) game was better than NHL95 which actually had varied scoring and TRADES is truly way off.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Yama - none of the games you mentioned were the last in the line. And none of those games were produced in the era of annual updates, making it a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

Brian - About the "unabashed Madden fan," you can easily make the case you or others are "unabashed NFL 2k5 fans" who overrate the significance of the game. I'm not refuting NFL 2k5 was a good game and perhaps ahead of its time, but your argument can easily be turned around and used on you and fans of NFL 2k.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: OS Roundtable: Looking at the Best Sports Game Tourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidCrash
I guess it all depends on how you look at things. I'm just suggesting that simply being a newer game on a higher tech console doesn't automatically mean the games are better than those that predated them. There were plenty of classic games on old consoles I'd take over new ones.
Exactly.

I take partial blame for some of this banter as I didn't define "best" well enough for the purposes of this discussion. that is something that will be remedied next year.

with that said, i also figured folks would take into consideration the game as it was when it first came out, while also factoring in the historical significance of the game, its impact on sports gaming and its impact on pop culture.

To use music as an example, what you people are arguing is the equivalent of saying Linkin Park is better than The Beattles, because they have better technology, can produce better quality audio then was available in the 1960s, and make more money from their albums.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlyGilmore
Yama - none of the games you mentioned were the last in the line. And none of those games were produced in the era of annual updates, making it a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

Brian - About the "unabashed Madden fan," you can easily make the case you or others are "unabashed NFL 2k5 fans" who overrate the significance of the game. I'm not refuting NFL 2k5 was a good game and perhaps ahead of its time, but your argument can easily be turned around and used on you and fans of NFL 2k.
I don't refute your point about my being an unabashed 2k5 fan. What I was trying to make the point of is this. Wasn't Chris Madden Mania? That would seem to me to lend itself to him having a bias, maybe. And there are guys on both sides of the fence of bias. And I really feel you about comparing games that were singular titles vs. yearly updates. I wonder which approach was better? But that's a whole 'nother discussion.....Peace!

P.S. I still can't agree about any game from yesteryear being relevant now. The Beatles analogy doesn't hold because the Beatles wrote songs that were timeless, as well as driving forward recording tech. To say that TSB has set a bar yet to be surpassed is straight feel good nostalgia. 2d sprite based characters that played dumb unrealistic (but fun) football have been far surpassed by the worst Madden.Like you said, the only way to make this a fair comparison is to put an * on the whole thing and judge each game in it's own timeframe. But the whole tourney thing was entertaining.....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Last edited by BrianFifaFan; 05-08-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Also to show that I'm actually not a biased 2k fanboy, I have actually owned EVERY Madden since 2000 up to 2008. And only owned 2k5, which I was so enamored with that I bought an Xbox and it. Before that I was a PC gamer. So when I compare the two titles or even bring up Super Tecmo Bowl, I've played 'em all. Been playing games since 1978. And had the time of my life doing it!!!!!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »