Home

Future of Sports Gaming to Run Through EA Sports?

This is a discussion on Future of Sports Gaming to Run Through EA Sports? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Future of Sports Gaming to Run Through EA Sports?

With all of the EA/Take Two talk going on, Chris Sanner of Operation Sports has decided to take a look at how the four major sports titles from EA Sports could change in the event the deal is completed. Check out the article here.
Quote:
"You can count me in as a worry-wart, an over-reactor, or just a plain old crazy loon, but I am really afraid that the future of sports gaming might be getting ready to be run through one company, EA Sports."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Future of Sports Gaming to Run Through EA Sports?

"This could be a good thing if EA decides to transfer the development of some games (ahem NBA Live) to a better skilled and more successful group of developers."

They'd figure out some way to screw things up... Underfund projects, make futile attempts to appeal to the masses (and thus appeal to no one), etc.

edit: It just seems to me that EA Sports isn't really interested in making good sports video games. They seem to be more interested in taking advantage of the popularity of video games.

edit2: I should add... Playing devil's advocate here... Maybe they are hamstrung by the current state of the industry, and so are required to make certain decisions. At some point I'd like to see them put more care into the nuances of the sport they are trying to represent, and perhaps they will over time. All that being said, they sure don't seem to be shy about cutting corners whenever they can.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 05-13-2008 at 06:42 AM. Reason: typo, amend, amend
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16

Nothing good can come of this. Look at baseball under 2k (bleh) and pro football (NCAA has NEVER had competition) under EA.

I'm most worried about basketball. EA has not put out a decent basketball game college or pro in about a bazillion years. The end of college hoops is pretty disappointing. At least they got in the 2k share feature this year to extend the games life w/out transfer devices.

Exclusive licenses and lack of options will be the watering down of console sports, but hardly the death.

It'll be only the death for "hardcore" sports gamers. Of which, we are all a minority.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

"If you look at the price chart you will see the release of Grand Theft Auto IV did next to nothing for the shares of Take Two. And if the biggest gaming release of this generation doesn't move stocks, I don't think anything else will."

That's because investors don't care about the release date of games, they care about earnings reports.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 05-12-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29
While a buyout could indeed be a good thing for EA Sports games,I think having the competition is just as helpful.They say you're only as good as your competition.Well that would mean EA would probably grow stale as it has with Madden.I too believe the buyout is likely though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 22
Funny thing is that EAs NHL sucked for years before NHL2k showed the world itīs brilliance. NHL2k2, 2k3 and 2k5, 2k6 totally forced EA to rethink their series. The stubborn fans of 2k kept 2k from redoing the engine when they always called for "fixes", "tweaks" etc instead of a totally new next gen engine.

But fact is , NFL2k forced EA to make madden better, NHL2k forced EA to redo their stale NHL series, NBA2k kicks EAs *** constantly, and EA totally ripped Pro evolutions gameplay and physics to bring FIFA up to standard.

Without competetion EAs games donīt evolve. Fact.

I hope Take2 can remain independent, and we will still have competetion in the sports genre.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt, in the event of a hostile takeover, that much will be kept from the take two division. I see MASSIVE LAYOFFS before i see combined teams working on basketball and hockey games. EA will remein loyal to its own employees. and the the developers under take two will be heading to the unemployment line. People thinking otherwise, you have your right to your opinion but your overly optomistic. this is business. its not what the consumer wants, its what makes the most money. they know you'll buy a turd with an NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB label on it. So why give you anything more than that. Until people start responding by not spending their dollars, thats how it will be.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15
Until someone figures out how to implement a passing engine, there will never be a basketball game that is very good IMO (considering that is the most important part of the game).

As for Madden getting better after 2k...really? They did not change anything at all. They have never changed engines once. This is understandable for a small company, but EA is a monopoly and has the money and resources to develop a new engine, but they will not.

So basically, we are looking at a very bleak future for sports games. I mean, look at what EA has offered us this year...the same NCAA game with the speed setting clicked up. Thanks guys..you have ruined sports gaming for everyone who loves football (the most popular video gaming sport). Much appreciated!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »