Home

Are Patches Really Good for Gamers?

This is a discussion on Are Patches Really Good for Gamers? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
It just leads to shoddier and sloppier work being done, as "we can always patch it later".
Its all fine and good when unexpected issues do crop up, as everyone is so fond of saying "no game is perfect" (even though Ive played plenty that have never needed patch 1) But, when youve got a game that hasnt even hit store shelves yet and your already working on known issues for a patch (or 2, or 3) that just shows either inexcusable laziness or ineptitude and a contempt for the consumer on both the developers and publisher part.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Are Patches Really Good for Gamers?

I don't see how patches can be a bad thing. If people really think that without patches we would get more complete games they're kidding themselves.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22
Yes they are good, but when they are used for a crutch it gets ugly. And if there any gamers who do not have internet access they are screwed. Gaming in general is a big rip off broken $60 games, $400 systems that last about as long as a lingering fart, pricey monthly subscriptions, and outrageous accessorys= PILE OF $#!T
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Don't buy the game then, it's pretty simple. I will never understand why people keep complaining about things being broken but won't wait a few days to hear reviews before buying or just renting the game. You don't need to have everything on day 1.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 08-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 7
Beta testers cannot catch everything, and some glaring issues go out the door upon game release. That's just the way it is. "Rent it first" should be a common practice.

As games come out it's always a welcome plus to have a patch released to the consumer. 1. it shows that the company is showing concern. 2. you get some of the issues resolved early enough to enjoy an overall better game.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
There's no doubt that patches are good for gamers, it's just unfortunately when developers announce a patch is coming before a game even hits the shelf. That's sad because it makes the game companies seem lazy. But when devs sit in the forums and listen to our feedback and then release a patch to fix our concerns a la College Hoops 2K8, well we couldn't ask for more as gamers. CH2K8 went from about a 7.5 to the best nex-gen sports game yet because of 2K's patch.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

I really want to say no because it allows the developers to rush a product just to make a deadline, releasing an unfinished product and having the attitude that "we'll just release a patch later".

Obviously, patches can be good if it improves a product.

Problem is, I think we are seeing far too many things needing patched simply because the developers are relying far too much on patches.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 10
I think patches can be good, in terms of tweaking games. But patches aren't being used for tweaking; they're being used for major game fixes. While we're fortunate that we have the capability to fixthese games, I do think that patches convert what used to be hard release dates for programmers into initial releases followed by the final releases.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »