Home

Collecting Cards Without the Stale Gum Smell

This is a discussion on Collecting Cards Without the Stale Gum Smell within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Collecting Cards Without the Stale Gum Smell

Our very own Caley Roark checks in today with a look at a potential new mode for game developers to add to their games. Check out his idea in his article, Collecting Cards Without the Stale Gum Smell.

Quote:
"I was about seven when my grandfather bought me my first pack of baseball cards. It was a $9.99 value pack, filled with a random assortment of 200 older cards -- many were the familiar mid-'80s Topps "woodgrain" cards, and a special few were of the painted Donruss "Diamond Kings" variety. This single purchase led to a childhood obsession of collecting cards. My spare change was converted into wax packs. Baseball cards were my parents' go-to stocking stuffer or Easter egg filler. I subscribed to Beckett's Baseball Monthly, and learned economics from a price guide. I was around for the launch of the glossy Upper Deck brand, and remember how crazy it seemed that these packs were selling for more than a dollar. One of my first major moral dilemmas surrounded a fairly lopsided trade with a less than intelligent boy at school."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
I'd love this! There was nothing more exciting than opening a new pack of cards when i was a kid!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #3

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Collecting Cards Without the Stale Gum Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLantern
I'd love this! There was nothing more exciting than opening a new pack of cards when i was a kid!
I still love the feeling of buying a box or a case of cards and just ripping packs constantly, I dont know what it is but Im addicted to it. Unfortunatly the prices are through the roof now on pretty much everything so my "hobby" has been put on hold for the time being but it sure is addicting.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
the hobby is for adults now. regular packs of upperdeck marketed for kids are about 3-4 dollars. on the other hand exquisite collection basketball is about 700 a pack.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #5

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukerock12
the hobby is for adults now. regular packs of upperdeck marketed for kids are about 3-4 dollars. on the other hand exquisite collection basketball is about 700 a pack.
Yeah but some of those pulls from Exquisite are unbelievable. Its funny how everyone used to get so amped to pull a jersey card and now unless its accompanied by an auto, they're a dime a dozen then.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
Yeah but some of those pulls from Exquisite are unbelievable. Its funny how everyone used to get so amped to pull a jersey card and now unless its accompanied by an auto, they're a dime a dozen then.
Jersey cards are still cool. They're (supposedly) game worn, so my Paul Pierce jersey is my favorite card!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLantern
Jersey cards are still cool. They're (supposedly) game worn, so my Paul Pierce jersey is my favorite card!

thanks to companies like topps and upperdeck jersey cards are worthless now unless the names like jordan or lebron are on there, and still they dont sell for much.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1
onlinemarketing

There is wide variation among different types of cards as to the configuration of objects, the content on the card, and even the material used to make the card.
--------------------

melanie
buzz marketing
Email:[email protected]

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »