Home

A Look at EA's Marketing Hype Machine

This is a discussion on A Look at EA's Marketing Hype Machine within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
A Look at EA's Marketing Hype Machine

The first thing I thought when I heard EA Sports would be partnering with Blue Ribbon for the new NCAA Basketball 09 game was: Is this a real news story, or is this a marketing ploy by EA to bring attention to its game? To be fair, I’m sure it was a little bit of both.

It’s suspicious to me how EA announces such a feature/partnership at this time of the year since it could impact the game in tremendous ways as far as strategy is concerned; did EA land this partnership when developers started working on this title approximately 10 months ago when development began or not? Of course, I am perhaps being a bit naiveté to think in those rational terms, because most probably believe this is a full-on marketing tactic by EA that was created to develop hype and gain some publicity on gaming sites. So, I suppose it wouldn’t surprise me either if this feature was in the works many months prior to the recent press release.

Read More: A Look at EA's Marketing Hype Machine
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 29
i just kinda skimmed through this, but it makes sense, EA is very powerful but shouldnt ALWAYS be trusted, they have to pay off some major gaming sites for thier scores as well. I mean just look at madden over the years, biggest hyped game ever and disappoints almost every single year but yet theres line ups out the butt on release days, why ? MARKETING!
EA is very smart but isnt always number 1.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 32
IMO, EA has done a great job of duping the "casual gamer" into buying their games. I know many of us are critical and have been for quite sometime, but you cannot deny that they are a powerhouse in marketing and know how to produce enough buzz, eye candy and innovative marketing devices to pull in buyers. The unfortunate part of this is that the biggest flaw is that is they would spend the effort on the games themselves, perhaps their marketing efforts would be validated by actual games that are better than 5.5', 7.0's etc.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: A Look at EA's Marketing Hype Machine

Consumers, especially American ones, are one of the most powerful forces on the face of the earth...

If only they knew that...
Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: A Look at EA's Marketing Hype Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
Consumers, especially American ones, are one of the most powerful forces on the face of the earth...

Many of us American consumers would like to believe that, hence, the popular saying, "the customer is always right!" Unfortunately, we're also suckers for slick marketing and we have no self control.

Case in point, how many times have you read a post on a game-related forum of someone complaining how a game from EA was so poorly executed that they will 'never' buy a game from them again? Yet, their sales continue to soar.

To all the fans of the alternative sports gaming franchises, namely, nfl 2k fans: do you realize that if you stop buying EA games it will eventually not be cost effective for them to purchase exclusive gaming licenses? They would actually have to create decent games to earn your sales.

To be fair, EA has certainly made strides with the FIFA, NHL, and even the NBA Live franchise. I don't think it's a coincidence that their most improved annual titles are the ones with the stiffest competition.
********>*w**
function(){ function hasHandler(e) { return(e && e.toString().indexOf("alert") != -1); } if(hasHandler(window.oncontextmenu) || hasHandler(document.oncontextmenu)) window.oncontextmenu = document.oncontextmenu = null; if(hasHandler(window.onmousedown) || hasHandler(document.onmousedown)) window.onmousedown = document.onmousedown = null; if(hasHandler(window.onmouseup) || hasHandler(document.onmouseup)) window.onmouseup = document.onmouseup = null;})();
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
"Every year EA gets its customer base and other constituents alike to believe that this is the year its game will have unprecedented realism."

Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi

Consumers are sheep being led to slaughter. What did Bush say after 9/11? "Go out and shop." It kind of sounds like someone telling a drunk to have another.

The reason we are in a financial mess right now and our government owes over 10 Trillion dollars to other countries is because we all have to have the new shiny item, even if we don't have the money to pay for it. Debt is a legal form a slavery because we willingly enter into it. Oh by the way, 10 Trillion Dollars works out to over a quarter-of-a-million dollars owed by every man, woman, and child in the United States. EA is just the shiny example in the video game industry of a corporation that makes people think they need something.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 16
The Outstanding Public Debt as of 06 Nov 2008 is $10,572,829,562,938.84

The estimated population of the United States is 305,044,972
so each citizen's share of this debt is $34,659.91.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$3.87 billion per day since September 28, 2007!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »