Home

The Importance of Immersion: First-Person Modes

This is a discussion on The Importance of Immersion: First-Person Modes within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: The Importance of Immersion: First-Person Modes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
What about a Mirror's Edge-like first-person view?
That was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the original post. Something like that would probably be a best case scenario, but would probably result in less immersion. Like someone else said, I want my sports video game experience to resemble what I see on TV as much as technologically possible. The more a game feels like an actual tv broadcast, the more immersed I become. I think most people will share this view, simply because that is the way most people experience sports a majority of the time.

Last edited by Jgainsey; 01-26-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 18
I totally agree with JohnDoe8865 in that what really immerses me in playing a sports game is being able to see a game from the same camera angles as they exist on TV. I find first person sports to be less immersive because it does feel like you are a free floating head without arms and legs. I think it could be a great mode in the future, but not for this generation of gaming. I would urge developers to put more effort into recreating a televised broadcast format to really immerse players in their games. NBA2K9 and MLB The Show do an excellent job of this.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
What about a Mirror's Edge-like first-person view?
I liked the Mirror's Edge cam/gameplay...I just don't know if we can have full control of a sports game and still be able to control the basic movements of your athlete at the same time. I remember from FPF it was just too much to do at once, I'd be using the right stick to move my guy's line of sight across the field, then have to hit other buttons to pass, use the left stick to move, use juke buttons, etc.

I think baseball could pull it off easiest, but the first person disorientation factor (FPF made quite a few people dizzy/sick), along with the complexity of controls as it is in 3rd person, let alone adding vision control to the list of tasks to do just makes it all tough.

I do think that a sports game similar to Mirror's Edge with more simplistic controls could work...Eventually we'll all have some sort of helmet or sunglass type monitor that will allow for head tracking and that would make first person sports games much more likely, but that's 10-20 years away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19
Another thing that makes first person viewpoints overly difficult is that they don't take peripheral vision into account.

Look at your TV. Now consider how much of your field of vision is beyond the boundaries of that TV screen.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 9
For an ON-FIELD simulator, FPF was great....I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound like too many people here played football in real life because you really get that 'shark attack' feeling in FPF when blindside sacking a QB!.....I love playing both ways because it is virtually 2 different games, but overall the traditional way is better
Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Personally first-person modes make me feel dizzy while playing them.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Just like post-processing effects like fog, motion blur, etc. With time developers will be able to recreate peripheral vision. If you think about it, it is very similar to the "depth of field" post-effects.

I think it could be done (FPS sports). But things need to be fleshed out before even considering it. Like mentioned, players need to be able to see their feet, hands, shoulders, waist, etc etc all that would be seen as if you are looking at it now. Being able to look around your enviroment and it look as if you really are doing so would be amazing.

Combine this tech with the PC, TRACK IR. Man I would love to be able to play WR, and have to track the ball using a track IR. Sooo many possiblites just someone needs to bring them out to the general public who are not familar with all the different techs out there.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »