Home

What Happened to PC Sports Gaming?

This is a discussion on What Happened to PC Sports Gaming? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
What Happened to PC Sports Gaming?

If you are one of the lonely PC sports gamers out there still playing a game like MVP 05, then you probably have caught yourself pondering what happened to the good ol' days of PC gaming. You are also probably following rumors and leads as they relate to potential revivals on the PC sports scene. It seems like every couple of months there is a teaser that maybe a Madden game will make a return to the home computer, or that the release of something like NBA 2K9 on the PC will revive the glory days of the platform.

Read More - What Happened to PC Sports Gaming?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19
I use to be strictly PC back in the day. NBA Live 01 was probably one of the best basketball games I have ever played (right up there with INSIDE DRIVE 04)

Sadly, I had to get a console. Things just started going south. First it was no madden, then Live was gone, etc etc.

The communities were amazing though, not like the crap that you get to day on the consoles. Trying to play NBA 2k9 online right now is like trying to deal with "special" children with limited vocab and a uncontrollable urge to scream and question the color of my skin.

Its pretty sad really.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: What Happened to PC Sports Gaming?

I'm a hardcore PC gamer myself. The games that are being made on consoles wouldn't have as many limitations on PC. I know right off the bat, a good gaming PC cost quite a bit at the start, but you get more variety, less limitations, more performance, and lower prices. I think its a money thing more that stealing. Like Madden 10 could not sell for $60 on PC and the price would drop about $10 every 2-3 months. I was in Gamestop and saw $60 360 games, only $40 on the PC. I know I have about 10 games I play all the time and they are all published by EA, but they are the one I am the maddest at. I want Madden on PC (my Xbox and PS3 are broke).
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19
When it comes to graphics and features PC games and the current GEN games on consoles are running neck and neck. with PC holding a slim lead.
That is the reason why PC sports titles are far and few.
In order for there to be a huge revival in PC sports titles and other titles for that matter, the PC will have to go through some huge shift or advance in technology. This is the reason why PC gaming was considered far superior to the consoles.

plainly put the average home PC does the same thing as the consoles now.

What I believe will spark a resurgence in PC sports games is the quest for folks seeking a true sim experience. The processing power of a PC allows software developers to do this.
However in order for this to take place, the developers for these sports titles cant be from the same company. All that these developers are doing or would do is port a game from console to PC.

IMO, MVP was an anomaly because that was a title that was released on the old gen consoles, and at that time the quality of PC gaming was far superior. I dont recall MVP05 being released on the current gen. Guarenteed if this game was released on the current gen and PC the games would most likely be the same.

Finally, NBA 2k9 PC version, has raised my expectations for PC gaming. IMO, The adaptive AI is vastly superior to the current gen versions. The graphics are also better. But then 2k releases a baseball title on PC, and the expectations get stifled a bit.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
I have never been a PC gamer. I've always preferred to play in the comfort of my living room than in front of a monitor.

Piracy is huge. Why make a game when the majority of people just rip you off and you make no money?

PCs are not much more powerful than the current consoles with regards to graphics. Consoles are dedicated gaming machines that can do more with less power so you have to compare apples to apples. Just comparing specs isn't a fair comparison. For those PCs that can produce better graphics, they are so expensive that many casual gamers don't want to invest that kind of money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: What Happened to PC Sports Gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Piracy is huge. Why make a game when the majority of people just rip you off and you make no money?
Console game makers are getting ripped off too when it comes to piracy, but probably not at the same rate because of all of the modifications one has to do. We then get reduced to being thrown into the mix of online gaming with the little knuckleheads who aren't shaving yet and have figured out every exploit and have no reservations about using those exploits to win.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 1
People can't afford to buy new computers every 2-3 years to keep up with the demands the new "big" games have to run them. You have a console for the TV, you can play games for that thing forever and not have to worry about whether or not you have enough memory to install it.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
Rookie

thesicnessnz's Arena

OVR: 2
Exclamation Re: What Happened to PC Sports Gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I use to be strictly PC back in the day. NBA Live 01 was probably one of the best basketball games I have ever played (right up there with INSIDE DRIVE 04)

Sadly, I had to get a console. Things just started going south. First it was no madden, then Live was gone, etc etc.

The communities were amazing though, not like the crap that you get to day on the consoles. Trying to play NBA 2k9 online right now is like trying to deal with "special" children with limited vocab and a uncontrollable urge to scream and question the color of my skin.

Its pretty sad really.
Took the words right out of my mouth! NBA Live 01... ohhhh yea! takes me back to the good ol' day of CUSTIMIZATION.

Your right about the communities too. Ive played 2k9 twice online (360) because the people you play are friggin frustrating.. I mean COME ON!!! full court press the whole time!!! Arrrgggghhh go play NBA jam!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »