Home

Who Is To Blame for Sports Gamers Being so Picky?

This is a discussion on Who Is To Blame for Sports Gamers Being so Picky? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #49
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Who Is To Blame for Sports Gamers Being so Picky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadtler
If I may add something... the author mentions NHLPA Hockey as an ideal example of gameplay. Lets face it, you cannot have the same *kind* of fluidity in gameplay when controlling complex 3d, fully animated players that must look like real-life at the user`s whim as when those players where 2-frame sprites colliding as circles on a flat world. As the representation becomes more realistic, gameplay will authomatically become more constrained. If you want to go back to a gameplay similar as NHLPA Hockey, you would need to accept players clipping together and animating unrealistically.
Sign me up. Gameplay Godzilla to graphics' Tinkerbell.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 12
Because sport titles come out every year, the improvements are minor year to year, but every 3 years or so we SHOULD see major improvment.
And leave Madden out of this, that game is a mess, anyone playing the demo can see it. There has never really been a "game changer" Madden , like 2k5 football, or like NHL 09, (I thing that was the first year with rt stick control), where the developers, truley improved the experiance.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 AM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 1

Of course ,the game should be authentic with the reality!
But sometimes we are to try some other exciments!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #52
Rookie

sorerightthumb's Arena

i remember the conversations me and my buddies had and still have. before the days of online gaming me and several friends would play sports games. either round robins or multitap football games all together in one room with cords attached to our controllers. to us graphics and game play meant something. not how much fake seats at a fake stadium cost. franchise modes and mini games ruined sports games!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #53
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Sports gamers are a difficult bunch to get along with -- I would know since I'm part of that bunch. We used to be happy with decent on-field action and a patched-together season mode.

Oh how things have changed.

Now it's almost fitting to compare modern sports gamers to fans of role-playing games. Ardent RPG fans demand nothing less than perfection. Woe is the developer that does not live up to the latest Final Fantasy. Woe is the developer who does not understand the subtle differences between a wood elf and a high elf. You get the idea.

Scoff if you will, but the fact of the matter is that aficionados of sports games are not much better. In fact, I would argue that we have become worse. We demand that our games be authentic, replayable, and somewhere further down this list, enjoyable. Sports games have turned us into monsters, highly educated and discerning monsters.

Sp let us take a look at what the modern sports game must include, as well as some of the culprits that have raised our expectations to these heights.

Read more - Who is to blame for sports gamers being so picky?

Well written!Sports games really bring us a lot,what we can do about it is just try our best to make it became better than actuality!click me!

Last edited by genie1985; 08-31-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #54
Rookie

Maybe the tickets are too expensive ,and people expect the game pickily!What's more they are the fans of the team or someone,of course ,they would hope the game will be wonderful!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #55
Cyber Griffin

CFav's Arena

OVR: 15

As someone in the industry, I'd have to say advertising/viral marketing. Do I really need to explain this one at all? When you believe everything you read and hear, well, theirs a good chance your going to be disappointed.

Also, I have to say this, there has never been, and most likely ever be a video game that is shipped w/o bugs. I believe some folks think that devs are lazy or that a QA dept didn't do their jobs or whatever. Truth is, probably 99% of the bugs you folks find in a game, are already well known by the dev team.

I think that if games weren't marketed so heavily and publishers hype machines weren't so convincing to many people, then your expectations would be lower, and therefore your satisfaction w/ a title would be higher.

That's just my 2 pennies. All opinion of course.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (Wii)
Transformers: War For Cybertron (DS)
Guitar Hero 5 (Wii)
Band Hero (Wii)
MUA2 (PS3/XBox 360)
Hax Attacks (iPad/iPhone)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #56
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Expectations increase with technology. I am sure that someone who purchases a TV today will scrutinize in much greater detail that a TV from 20 years ago.

With that being said, when it comes to sports games, I have tried to put my mindset & expectations back to what they were in the 80's & 90's....Yeah, maybe I am settling for less, but I sure am having more fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »