Home

Out of Bounds: A Sports Gamer's Manifesto

This is a discussion on Out of Bounds: A Sports Gamer's Manifesto within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Out of Bounds: A Sports Gamer's Manifesto

The first time I realized how big a business video games had become was when I went to Gamestop in 2002 to pick up a copy of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Like most gamers, I'd spent the better part of the previous year playing the hell out of GTA III and was ready to take to a new set of streets. Back then I was going to Indiana State University, and I rounded up a couple of friends and headed for the Honey Creek Mall in beautiful Terre Haute, Indiana. Imagine our surprise when we found a line around the corner that threatened to spill into J.C. Penney.

Big games bring big numbers. When there's a new installment in the GTA series, or Halo or StarCraft or World of Warcraft or whatever, people come out in droves and drop good money to get their games. There's nothing like it. New movies hardly ever top the $20 mark, and albums, when they're not being stolen, come nowhere near the $60 range video games are fond of pushing.

Read More - Out of Bounds: A Sports Gamer's Manifesto
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Rookie

nolan273's Arena

OVR: 13
Well written and well said. I cosign your manifesto.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
Good piece.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1
Thats exactly how I feel! U nailed it!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1
I'm not sure the point of this 'manifesto'. It sounds like you are complaining about the lack of innovation in sports gaming, but then follow that up with two examples of innovation in sports gaming. If these two are the only exception could you please provide an example of what kind of innovation you are looking for. Is it gameplay, animation, higher res models, or game modes? This article just seemed to jump all over without driving home any one point, and yet you have people who agree. Perhaps they to could elaborate on which point they agree.
Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
I went to TH South in 1992 and TH North in 1993. This is the first TH reference I've seen since the Action Track got included in Sprint Cars.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
Rookie

nolan273's Arena

OVR: 13
"Give us a game out of the box that changes the way we view games and the experience of the sport ..."

This is the point. The article isn't scattershot as EyeCrusties implies. The author makes his point and it's easily understood. It's not necessary to reference (bash) every sports game that he feels doesn't innovate. He juxtaposes two titles which he feels are innovating against all others. Again, easily understandable.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0
I have to say that that i pretty much disagree wit the entire premise. Games have been innovating for years, and usually to the detriment of the game experience. I remember loving Madden 94 an d not being able to understand why they had to change it. Madden got progressively worse for years after that.

Seriously, often I just want a roster update. I'm willing to play the game and spend full price just to get the fresh rosters, but too often I also have to suffer through some feature that the bean counters at XYZ game company have insisted be present to drive sales.

It's great when they work, and NHL 11 looks to have really improved their game. But the second i heard real time physics, I got worried. How many versions will it take to get them just right? How many rants will i find on OS because the game doesn't work just right?

Sports are a great constant in out lives. the rules generally don't change much. Styles certainly do, and i love to see them represented in my games. But most of the time, we don't need a new way to play a game that hasn't changed.

Yes, there are lots of exceptions. But too many games (and Madden seems to be the worst offender) are just throwing poop at the wall to see what sticks.

That said, there are now great versions of most sports, as good innovations have stuck. I don't think there is a need for any manifesto, as the last three years have probably been the best years of sports games ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »