Home

Appreciate Sports Gaming, Don't Ruin It

This is a discussion on Appreciate Sports Gaming, Don't Ruin It within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Some of it is unnecessary nitpicking but the majority of it is pointing out issues that have plagued these series for years. Fifa with its standing tackle or the ability to pressure for a full game and not have a severe stamina drop off. Madden with its poor pass blocking for the interior of the offensive line. 2K with players that will miss an annoying number of point blank shots with little to no defensive pressure. Those are just some that come to mind but the point is as people who have played these various sports games we shouldn't be complaining about these same issues and then waiting for a patch to fix it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 6
I want a game from the developers. Give us good play on the court, a nice franchise mode, solid AI and functionality. Let the community create the faces, the players, add the accessories.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #27
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
I love sports game and while some have made very good strides (NBA2K11, MLB The Show) there's a good amount that frankly have underperformed.
I also think FB games have been satisfactory at best. Aweseome games??? Not IMO but to each their own.
It's been the same uninspired gaming for way too long. Are they sometimes fun? Sure. Is it to the level we probably should be since "Old gen". No way.

To many people have just become complacent due to the lack of quality we've seen for years. Now when anything "Fluffy" is added it's all of a sudden a huge improvement on the game.

Again the FB games are ok, and worth playing. They just aren't anything special.

Last edited by Skyboxer; 11-11-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 3
BS. I complain about Madden because after buying this game since it's inception 22 yrs ago, I have a right to criticize a sub par effort by EA. They have done an outstanding job with NHL, and FIFA, and one heck of a better job with NCAA. And year after year I keep showing my faith and support for EA by purchasing their games. But the issue with Madden needs to be rectified. I agree with one thing, and that is not to buy Madden anymore until they get it right. Question for all who settle for anything. When u order food from s restaurant, and they serve it to you, and it's been undercooked, or it's cold like its been sitting for a while, do you eat it, or do you tell the waitress to take it back and bring you food done right? Its the same premise for anything we pay for, whether it's a product or a service. You deserve to have it right, after all you paid for it. If EA wants to give Madden away free, I'll play it and complain about nothing!!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.
Re: Appreciate Sports Gaming, Don't Ruin It

I was watching the Raiders vs Chiefs today and suprisingly Madden looked damn near the same as what I was watching minus the "consecutive hit tackles" and more dynamic presentation. Other than that, **** was spot on actually. I'm having a great time
Old 11-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 19
I agree that some of the criticism has been harsh. Yes, the expectations are bordering on unrealistic for the game developers. You have to have thick skin to work for EA and 2K right now.

The forums are something the devs can learn from. Companies used to spend millions doing marketing research surveys, not they just have to go to a message board to know what their customers think. These companies are suffering financially, but consumers have less cash to spread around, as well. Eventually consumers will wise up, and stop buying games that need numerous patches, lack a certain level of realism, or fun.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Appreciate Sports Gaming, Don't Ruin It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I love sports game and while some have made very good strides (NBA2K11, MLB The Show) there's a good amount that frankly have underperformed.
I also think FB games have been satisfactory at best. Aweseome games??? Not IMO but to each their own.
Agreed. I don't think all sports games can be lumped together and the developer efforts judged the same way. Then there's the extenuating circumstances - Madden gets criticized harshly (and imo rightly so lots of the time) because of how it's underperformed, but also from consumer frustration with it being the only option available. In the same way people criticize MLB2K for limiting baseball gamers' options - although there is at least limited choice in being able to purchase a PS3 and buy The Show if a person is that big a baseball fan.

I think it isn't limited to sports games though - gamers overall have grown increasingly cynical about everything it seems. When Microsoft released their new XBL update, I read tons of over the top negative comments like "It's too bright - this SUCKS/IS HORRIBLE",
"Where are the blades - this SUCKS/IS HORRIBLE", etc. People seem unable to have nuanced discussions. For some people things have to be the best ever, or they're the worst.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #32
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlboy82
BS. I complain about Madden because after buying this game since it's inception 22 yrs ago, I have a right to criticize a sub par effort by EA. They have done an outstanding job with NHL, and FIFA, and one heck of a better job with NCAA. And year after year I keep showing my faith and support for EA by purchasing their games. But the issue with Madden needs to be rectified. I agree with one thing, and that is not to buy Madden anymore until they get it right. Question for all who settle for anything. When u order food from s restaurant, and they serve it to you, and it's been undercooked, or it's cold like its been sitting for a while, do you eat it, or do you tell the waitress to take it back and bring you food done right? Its the same premise for anything we pay for, whether it's a product or a service. You deserve to have it right, after all you paid for it. If EA wants to give Madden away free, I'll play it and complain about nothing!!
This is a major part of the problem i think. Many of us are in the 20-35 year old range where we grew up since the SEGA Genesis days of Madden 92, NHL 94, etc. where those games were just flat out fun to us because we were kids and it was more about the entertainment than having everything look realistic and be 100% glitch free. Now we've all been playing games for 15+ years and as we've gotten older, understood technology more, and gotten smarter we've become more demanding of our games now we're at a point where we basically want virtual reality.

We want the game to be so accurate that it looks and feels like we're actually there. The fun factor has become an afterthought to realistic presentation, perfect gameplay (with no mistakes because we all know in real life there are never mistakes like missed dunks, dropped passes, missed blocks, etc), and perfect graphics that look like the real thing we see on tv. Whether the game is fun or not is no longer the issue because we place so much emphasis on those other things mentioned that it prevents us from just enjoying the game.

Think back to Tecmo Super Bowl for example. If you picked the correct play of the offense the defense rushed through the offense practically unblocked. Did that prevent us from enjoying the game? Nope. But then in a game like Madden or NCAA where you have the run commit function where the defense comes up to play the run and gets through blocks better we complain and cry foul and say its not realistic. Does it prevent us from enjoying the game? For a lot of people that answer is yes. See how different things are 15 years later.

This year i took more of a just enjoy the game approach and i must say its the 1st time in a while that ive enjoyed the hell out of the sports games. Maybe its because the quality of the game was actually better but i dont sit there and cry about the minor issues in the game, the lack of pass blocking, the glitches in 2k. When i used to do that stuff it would take away from my enjoyment of the game and i would find myself just complaining and pointing out all the bad instead of enjoying the good. If i spend $60 on something i want to enjoy it and feel like it was worth the money. No one is making me buy the game. Even though EA has the NFL rights i'm not forced to buy Madden. There are other games and other ways to get the NFL type game without having it be Madden. I am not required to buy MLB the Show. So if i choose to buy it why would i sit there and focus on the negative if its going to hinder my enjoyment.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »