Home

Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games

This is a discussion on Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 7
I actually had this discussion at work today, and I used MLB The show as an example. I wouldn't want to simulate throwing over 100 pitches every game. I joked that you could see the first Tommy John Surgery from video games cause someone tried to play 2 or three games in a row and just kill his arm.

Now while it was a joke, my point was pretty much the same as what was in the article. I'm on my feet all day at work, and video games are my downtime, my way to wind down after work. The last thing I wanna do is be physically active playing a game. I go to the gym 5 times a week, thats when I wanna get my exercise not while playing a game
Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 1
I agree with everyone here. If I really wanted to get some exercise I would go to the local Y and play some pick-up ball. I play video games to relax. I don't play them to get exercise. Don't get me wrong, I'll play some of the casual games with friends at a party or just to mess around but if I want a good workout there's a gym 100 yards from my front door. The Wii was very popular because this was the first time we seen video games that we could play in a new way. This also attracted the casual gamer, little kids, and people that don't play traditional video games. As for the hardcore gamer, no way. The writer is correct. It's a gimmick that will fade over time.

For example, I picked up a bowling game that looked a lot cooler on the box than it actually was. I tried the motion controls and it took me quite a while to get the hang of it. Even after I started to bowl a decent game I was already tired of having to stand up and swing my arm over and over again. I tried to figure out a way to play the game with just the controller but found out the game doesn't have that option. This was a huge turn-off for me. If sports games start to head in that direction I am done as a gamer. I am not lazy, I actually like physical activity and playing real sports, just not in a video game.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games

all i know is....when i get home i just want to sit back and play a game of madden....not play IN a game of football.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Before video games game along, sport simulation games where played with dice, cards and ratings sheets. If you could go back in time and tell those guys "Hey, in the future, you will be able to play the games on TV, and manipulate the players by moving your thumbs around a controller", I think there might be some resisitance. Change is always tough.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
Rookie

Motion will work for baseball and golf, but not football or hoops...don't know about hockey
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #22
Pro

bwburke94's Arena

OVR: 4

Wii Sports failed big time, Madden 10 for Wii was worse... oh, and don't forget those Mario games. I doubt HD graphics will be able to change that.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #23
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94
Wii Sports failed big time,.
Wii Sports failed? People went crazy for it when it came out. It exceeded expectations by far.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galarius
Motion will work for baseball and golf, but not football or hoops...don't know about hockey
Galarius has the right idea, why NBA would even attempt is just dumb, but golf and baseball and perhaps tennis definatley have the potential to be great. They wont be the default controls but will be available and can make a huge difference if done properly! have some faith people motion controllers arent rocket science

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »