Home

RUMOR: Activision Eyeing Takeover Bid of Take Two

This is a discussion on RUMOR: Activision Eyeing Takeover Bid of Take Two within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by debauchlord
This merger is all about Grand Theft Auto and Rockstar. Not to take anything from 2k Sports, but Rockstar is an international goldmine. Activision has said that they have little interest in new projects that won't generate revenue, so why not use your WoW warchest and purchase the biggest / best franchise out there? Makes business sense, but I won't be surprised either if Rockstar tries for autonomy or self publishing. Take Two's financial statements are atrocious outside of GTA release years.
I agree with almost everything in your post. 2K Sports is really an afterthought here, as Rockstar is the prize. Beyond the GTA series, Rockstar has some great properties like Bully, L.A. Noire, and especially Red Dead Redemption. Activision getting Rockstar would probably mean we'd be seeing yearly releases of these, a very depressing thought. The quality of the games would suffer, as the main focus would be online multiplayer to please people like the guy who said NBA 2K11 sucked because the online wasn't great.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Modern Redemption - John Marston comes back to life as a black ops agent fighting against Russian warlords. The single player is only three levels, most of which is spent playing in slow motion after a giant explosion.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #34
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: RUMOR: Activision Eyeing Takeover Bid of Take Two

I hope that whatever happens, t2 is given free reins to guide their product. By the way, I thin Activision is officially the number one gaming house followed by Electronic Arts. Honestly, if Activision can put aside the short-term mindset, I'd definitely rest a bit easier at night. I'm curious to know if any of the guts of T2 would jump ship if the quality was being compromised. I was looking at the games that Activision put out. They are so seriously lacking over there. I think that's why EA is primed to leapfrog them for first place again. If only that football license could find a way to be shared again.......
Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #35
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Poseidon
I agree with almost everything in your post. 2K Sports is really an afterthought here, as Rockstar is the prize. Beyond the GTA series, Rockstar has some great properties like Bully, L.A. Noire, and especially Red Dead Redemption. Activision getting Rockstar would probably mean we'd be seeing yearly releases of these, a very depressing thought. The quality of the games would suffer, as the main focus would be online multiplayer to please people like the guy who said NBA 2K11 sucked because the online wasn't great.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Modern Redemption - John Marston comes back to life as a black ops agent fighting against Russian warlords. The single player is only three levels, most of which is spent playing in slow motion after a giant explosion.
That last paragraph is really funny, but so true. I like to compare cod games to hollywood movies, modern warfare is like a fun, mindless movie( Bad Boys 2, Rambo). Basically the plot is made after all the cool special effects scenes are planned. 2K on the other hand has created unique games like Bioshock and anything rockstar makes.

Activision may give 2k a bigger budget but they will milk their franchises for all they are worth. Everyone keeps saying they want choices but this merger would create less quality titles. Activision or EA buying 2K is just bad news for us gamers

Last edited by Cusefan; 02-16-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3

This would be a double-edged sword.

On the plus side, Take Two would finally have the financial backing to go after EA. Activision has enough power to make a play for the NFL license (and you can bet they would try).

On the downside, its Activision.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »