Home

DNF: Why This Geezer Plays Offline

This is a discussion on DNF: Why This Geezer Plays Offline within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 16
i love playing online for the competition. theres only so much a "cpu" can do. saying that i only use my mic with poeple that i know. i will join parties and lobbies but i dont care for them.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
You make a good point about how it's not just "cheesers" but also the guys that have a hard time losing. That's the root of it all (when it comes to exploits and quitting). Most of the participants are highly immature and can not properly deal with losing.

I think though that a strong case can be made for getting together with friends across the country and just having a good time with a preferred game. From when the Dreamcast introduced online console gaming, I have about 5 guys that I routinely game with online. There's something to be said for that.
Ironic, considering the way the Lakers lost so graciously to the Mavericks a couple days ago.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
Rookie

nolan273's Arena

OVR: 13
Like the OP, I rarely ever play online. Nor am I a big social media guy. All the people that I want to talk to, I have their telephone numbers, and I know where they live. Whenever I do play online, it's usually against my brother. I do have several friends on PSN that I play against once in a while and real friends who come over regularly, so I wouldn't say that I'm a complete gaming isolationist, but I have very little interest in listening to strangers curse and spew slurs during my gaming episodes.

The joy of gaming for me is that it's my escape. I play games to 'get away' for a little while. Being married with two active kids leaves little time for genuine relaxation, so gaming provides me the "me-time" that everybody needs and deserves.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Rookie

MINATAURO's Arena

OVR: 5
Agreed, as I'm a new father of a 3 month old baby my gaming habits have changed quit a bit as of late. Although I have been in online leagues before you just need to find the right group of friends. I've always played offline for the most part though.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #21
Rookie

Darkimpact17's Arena

OVR: 3
I play online mostly due to the fact I have a sim group to play with, without it I can't imagine I would play online much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #22
Rookie

209vaughn's Arena

OVR: 1
My main reasons I prefer offline dynasty modes.

1) LAG: This is the largest reason I do not play online. I cant play a game of FIFA offline, then go and play online. It's two very very different experiences. The flow, the strategy, the timing is all much different and its frustrating to try and adjust for latency issues. If all you play is online, this is not so much an issue.

2) INVESTMENT: Offline modes I feel like I can invest my time, thoughts, emotions into to create my own little virtual world where I can rise and fall in my sports universe. Online play is much less involved. Game times are shortened, there is no investment into my personal team, no season or career, only static meaningless games, that affect some vague 'ranking'.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #23
Rookie

209vaughn's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209vaughn
My main reasons I prefer offline dynasty modes.

1) LAG: This is the largest reason I do not play online. I cant play a game of FIFA offline, then go and play online. It's two very very different experiences. The flow, the strategy, the timing is all much different and its frustrating to try and adjust for latency issues. If all you play is online, this is not so much an issue.

2) INVESTMENT: Offline modes I feel like I can invest my time, thoughts, emotions into to create my own little virtual world where I can rise and fall in my sports universe. Online play is much less involved. Game times are shortened, there is no investment into my personal team, no season or career, only static meaningless games, that affect some vague 'ranking'.
Other games that are impossible to play online due to lag... UFC Undisputed and NBA2k11, good luck trying to do a pick and roll online.... Fight Night some how nailed online play as i dont feel the lag nearly as much.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #24
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29
I rarely play sports games online because of the commitment you have to put in before the game. In games like Call of Duty, I can play one match or ten matches, but when it comes into online games I have to be ready to commit an hour to the experience.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »