Home

Why Fighting Games Should NOT be Considered Sports Games

This is a discussion on Why Fighting Games Should NOT be Considered Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Rookie

notoriouzwun's Arena

OVR: 14
I guess I should give my definition of sports. Sports are things that can be played in leisure as well as the professional and amateur counterparts. There is no predetermined outcome and are normally governed by a defined set of rules. I know this is still vague but thats pretty much my premise. I also understand this brings about the arguement "Is poker a sport then?". I'll leave that arguement for another day!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Why Fighting Games Should NOT be Considered Sports Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoneil
what MMA or boxing rules does Mortal Kombat comply by?
Fight your opponent until one of you is knocked out or time expires.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 11
I'm with Notoriouz, I don't think I ever really thought of Mortal combat or other fighting games like that to be anywhere near sports gaming????? Fight Night, MMA, UFC , most definitely. Curious what got you off on this subject? did you and another gamer have a throwdown on what a real sports fighting game was?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23
There is no debate. MK and SF are "Fighters". Plain and simple. They never pretend to be another genre or even a hybrid.

I think the better argument would be to ask fighter fans if MMA, UFC and Fight Night belong to the "Fighters" genre as well or if they should just be considered purely "Sports" games.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 39
Man, these are the fans that are keeping the Fight Night series from being a true sim because they feel Mortal Kombat and Tekken should be considered sports games. SMH!

I'm on a campaign to prove to the EA producers that a sim boxing game will sell well but saying Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are sports games will make them keep making arcade/sim hybrid games.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 11
I'm pretty sure that EA knows that a boxing sim would sell, but I also think they know that if they cheeze the game up a bit then they open it up to an expanded market. if they wanted to do it right they'd make aFight Night game for sim style fighters and a licensed FaceBreaker type game for those wanted to just turbo punch with their friends.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why Fighting Games Should NOT be Considered Sports Games

All gaming titles are greater compared to top, they all have factors in them that don't genuinely represent the sports sim. But fighting is and will invariably be considered a rivalry to decide who could be the strongest, fastest, and who can endure more, which tends to make fighting gaming titles sports activities gaming titles on two different quantities in gaming and out versus a gaming like NBA 2K, Madden, Tiger Woods etc...
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »