Home

EA Sports VP: Subscription Based Gaming Coming?

This is a discussion on EA Sports VP: Subscription Based Gaming Coming? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #17
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: EA Sports VP: Subscription Based Gaming Coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonn
There is no way I'd ever play $40 dollars a month when the only EA Sports game I buy consistently is NCAA Football.
^^^^^
THIS!

I buy NCAA and thats it...and even THAT is up for debate after this year!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #18
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Man!!!

Are they trying to put the GameStops of the world out of business? Way to help the economy.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
Roll Tribe

Senator Stone's Arena

OVR: 13

I'd be surprised if it really ended up being $40 per month. That would assume the people that pay buy 8 EA sports games per year, which is highly unrealistic (do they even make 8 games a year?).

If they would charge something like $10-12 per month, which assumes you buy somewhere around two EA sports games per year, it starts to make a lot more sense.

Or, would you pay five bucks a month to play NCAA or Madden? I might start to think about that since I play NCAA essentially from July to February, which would end up being a $40 value.

I don't think we should just straight-up dismiss pay-for-play.

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Lol, $40/month? Absolutely no way I'd pay that. I wouldn't pay $5/month for one game either. One of the excuses for games costing $60 is production costs, and the price of printing discs, etc. So, if we're eliminating the physical content, then the cost of production goes down, and then so should the price.

No way in hell I'm paying a monthly fee for my games, especially if I'm a Live customer and am already paying an extra $60 a year just to be online. If that's what it comes to, I'm out.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8
I could go for a service like Steam where you buy the game with a 1 time fee and you still own the game but you can't resell it and don't have to pay a monthly fee. I think this is really what EA is trying to do, not charge a monthly fee. They want to sell games to everyone that wants to play it without them being able to buy used games which really brings down their sales. At the same time if they run this like Steam or D2D type of service they could run sales from time to time as well. All they are paying for then is the bandwidth for us to download the games from. I could go for that model, but paying a monthly fee to play a Football game or Hockey game would really piss me off. Its not a MMO!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Lol, $40/month? Absolutely no way I'd pay that. I wouldn't pay $5/month for one game either. One of the excuses for games costing $60 is production costs, and the price of printing discs, etc. So, if we're eliminating the physical content, then the cost of production goes down, and then so should the price.

No way in hell I'm paying a monthly fee for my games, especially if I'm a Live customer and am already paying an extra $60 a year just to be online. If that's what it comes to, I'm out.
I agree, I want physical media for my games, I will not pay a monthly fee to play any game. When that happens I'm done gaming.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 31

Actually it's already here.. No thanks EA, 25 dollars a year just to save a buck on DLC here or there? Yeah you can keep it guys.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...e_Launches.php
Old 08-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #24

OVR: 34

I don't understand the clinging to hard copies of the game. Digital copies remove clutter, are easily accessible and last longer.

My concern is that they will charge extra based on the process's efficiency. I can see EA touting it as innovative, so we have to pay a little extra for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »