Home

2011 Team Based Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 12

This is a discussion on 2011 Team Based Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 12 within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
2011 Team Based Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 12

The team based sports game of the year is always the most popular award here at Operation Sports -- mainly because the sports represented in this award are also the most popular. Games in contention for this award include Madden, NBA 2K, MLB: The Show, FIFA, NCAA Football and other similar titles.

2011's year for Team-based sports gaming was a bit disappointing on many fronts. Several games shipped with major bugs and one in particular (NBA 2K12) took a noticeable step backwards in terms of fan enthusiasm. This is all to be expected as we have yet to have a game win the Team-Based game of the year back-to-back.

This year's winner was the game which managed to avoid the bug-a-palooza this year and seemed to generally garner the most enthusiasm from the staff: FIFA Soccer 12.

Read More - 2011 Team Based Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 12
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
I'm confused. FIFA 12 won, but then it says the Reader's Choice winner was The Show with 31.42% of the vote. Huh?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
Wow! But I gotta agree, FIFA 12 is spectacular.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23
The staff picked FIFA but we the people voted for the show.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
I agree. I picked up FIFA for Christmas and am having more fun with it than 2K12. And I'm a much bigger basketball fan than soccer fan. Dont own a PS3 so can't weigh in on The Show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
MVP

Ermolli's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: 2011 Team Based Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 12

Quote:
Sure, your AI teammates are inept on defense under the new tactical defending model, but that's a relatively minor problem compared to the major issues we've seen in other titles.
I don't understand how this is a minor problem, this is what make not play this game. It's frustrating that you try to play good defense and your AI teamates aren't even trying to defend well. Sure FIFA is a great game but with the AI having issues I don't know how this game can be game of the year.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
The staff picked FIFA but we the people voted for the show.
Thanks or clarifying. Not that it makes things any clearer, lol. Several hundred members all vote for the best game(s), but none of that means anything because the dozen people who run the site make the final call? So someone mind explaining the point of voting?

Not that it matters to me. FIFA 12 is the only sports game I've continued to play since I picked it up. Never got past the rental with PES; played MLB 2K11 for maybe three weeks tops; I don't have a PS3 for The Show; and I never play basketball games. So I'd go with FIFA 12 anyway.

Last edited by peigone; 01-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermolli
I don't understand how this is a minor problem
What, you can't understand how the offline AI, which has been an issue in FIFA for a decade and has never been addressed, can be considered a minor problem only? Because of the outstanding graphics man, because of the graphics!

Seriously though, the teammate AI isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I have had many, many instances where my CPU-controlled teammates came out of nowhere and blocked shots or took on the CPU ball carrier without me directing them to do so.

Last edited by peigone; 01-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »