Home

Is 2K Sports Fit for Survival?

This is a discussion on Is 2K Sports Fit for Survival? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Redundant topic to be nice about it, but I will jump in and add to the redundancy. Anyone that respects competition should be licking 2k's boots for what they did to make sports gaming when it comes to the most popular US sports interesting for this long. There NFL and NBA franchises extended sports gaming because I truly believe if it was EA alone people would have lost interest like I have for football sports gaming. Yes, there were others but none could ever do it like 2K and actually send the competitor running home. On the other hand, I am concern because 2K has the Buster Douglas syndrome. They are built to beat there main competitor but maybe not everyone else or most importantly themselves. I have not played on the internet in years but they should have fixed those issues by now. They should have upgraded there graphics engines long ago.

All that said, the NBA franchise is still superior and if games like Halo, The Show, etc. can get people to buy a system just to play it, NBA 2K will survive. They just need to be realistic and bring back College Hoops. I don't think it is going to lose as much as there baseball game did. Then go from there. I would suggest looking into a wrestling game also as WWE leaves a lot to be desired to many.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
wow 2k sports is my all time favorite sports developer and one by one they have fallen.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 12
I tend to agree with most people on here about this issue. But here is the thing... 2k was a victim of their own mistakes. When you have such a huge player like EA out there, and you are not close in terms of resources and staying power, then you have very little margin for error. Every decision you make must be a good one, or you risk losing everything. We are seeing that come to fruition today. 2k didn't make a bad decision to try and make all-pro 2k8, they just didn't put forth their best effort. And those things simply cannot happen with such little margin for error. I know it is crazy to ask them to make huge strides with nba 2k every single year, but again, with no margin for error, that has to be the case. Especially since EA will be rejoining the basketball market again soon, and if 2k slips up even a little bit, it's all over for them. Yes, that is a lot of pressure on them, but that's the nature of the beast.

The same theme can be said the for the NHL 2k series. Bad decisions followed by sub-par execution led to the demise. EA can afford, literally, to not execute well, 2k cannot. That's ultimately what did them in.

I dunno about the NCAA football licensing or the game, but 2k really does have a serious opportunity there. And again, it would be ill-advised to not try and pull out all the stops to at least garner some sort of license for a college football game. Maybe the NCAA wants it to be exclusive, I don't know. But, I did hear a rumor that NCAA 2013 may be the last iteration of the series and EA might be getting out of college football. Should that be the case, then 2k would be stupid to not try and take advantage.

Anyway, you get my point. When you have little margin for error, mistakes are magnified, ask any double-digit underdog in sports in a big game.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2
To be honest it might be best that 2ksports only does have 1 or 2 games to develop in a year. If NFL 2k was still around do you think NBA 2k would be as good as it is today? NBA didn't get good until the developers for NFL came over. Why other marquee title do they have in there lineup now besides NBA?

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #29
Banned

patrashoe's Arena

OVR: 0
yes ! 2k is mlb2k12 commettre une erreur
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1
Maybe if they didn't make bug-filled games like NBA2K12 that repeatedly freeze their future wouldn;'t be in doubt.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 30
While I DON'T want this to happen to 2K (NBA2K COULD be better, imo and I don't eff with their baseball ish. Got The Show for that fix), I think it most likely will. I wholeheartedly believe it's just a matter of a year or 3 before NBA2K is going to be snuffed out by EA's b-ball game. EA has already bucked down their hockey and as well as PES by rising to the challenge by both those games when they both seemed like roadrunners, speeding away with sales for both. Now that they're roadkill, instead, u think EA isn't trying to hit nitro and in order to catch up to and take out that last birdie which is NBA2K??

EA already has the confidence that they can do it because they've done it twice before AND they ate quite a bit of crow with the Elite debacle. True champions don't stay down if knocked down even if it takes them almost a full count to get back up and if they can't rise to the bell in that fight, there will be another and they'll be hungrier than ever to avenge what happened previously. Not to mention, EA has da big coin, unlike 2K. That coin bought them a huge breather in purchasing that NFL license...

That being said, 2K gotta get with their motivation in fixing issues with NBA2K, offer analog dribbling as an option, fix those damn servers (personally, I don't online but I've sheard a plenty bout dem servers!) and whatever else they need to do otherwise, gulp, it's gunna be a wrap for them. I'd hate to see them go...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
While I DON'T want this to happen to 2K (NBA2K COULD be better, imo and I don't eff with their baseball ish. Got The Show for that fix), I think it most likely will. I wholeheartedly believe it's just a matter of a year or 3 before NBA2K is going to be snuffed out by EA's b-ball game. EA has already bucked down their hockey and as well as PES by rising to the challenge by both those games when they both seemed like roadrunners, speeding away with sales for both. Now that they're roadkill, instead, u think EA isn't trying to hit nitro and in order to catch up to and take out that last birdie which is NBA2K??

EA already has the confidence that they can do it because they've done it twice before AND they ate quite a bit of crow with the Elite debacle. True champions don't stay down if knocked down even if it takes them almost a full count to get back up and if they can't rise to the bell in that fight, there will be another and they'll be hungrier than ever to avenge what happened previously. Not to mention, EA has da big coin, unlike 2K. That coin bought them a huge breather in purchasing that NFL license...

That being said, 2K gotta get with their motivation in fixing issues with NBA2K, offer analog dribbling as an option, fix those damn servers (personally, I don't online but I've sheard a plenty bout dem servers!) and whatever else they need to do otherwise, gulp, it's gunna be a wrap for them. I'd hate to see them go...
Oh, and baseball is safe, for 2K, for now, at least when it comes to Xbox. Don't let EA get a grip on that. Smh. The Show may survive if EA got back to MLB because they have similar coin to compete. Sony betsta not sleep, tho. Heh

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »