Home

Have Sports Gaming Controls Become Too Complicated for Their Own Good?

This is a discussion on Have Sports Gaming Controls Become Too Complicated for Their Own Good? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Have Sports Gaming Controls Become Too Complicated for Their Own Good?

Just like Mike Gundy, I'm a man and I'm 40; and my fingers are not as nimble as they used to be.

This can be quite a problem when it comes to playing my favorite sports video games. As I have grown older and moved from the more simplistic gaming systems like the Atari to the much more intricate current generation consoles, it’s becoming more and more difficult for me to control the action on the cyber field.

Some of my troubles have to do with my advancing age -- the reflexes aren’t quite at the level of my 20-year-old self. Some, though, has to do with the more and more complicated control schemes for these games.

When you require the speed and dexterity of Lt. Cmdr. Data to call an audible or a hot route in Madden, or to simply call an offensive play in NBA 2K12, then there is a deeper issue.

Have sports video game controls became too complicated for their own good? Let’s take a look.

Read More - Have Sports Gaming Controls Become Too Complicated for Their Own Good?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 22
I don't think so.Without somewhat complex controls you can't have as many moves, as in NBA 2k.....usually there rae ways to play games with simpler controls if th euser wants to do so, such as NBA 2k's 'MOVE' controls(which i ssort of like a cross between regular play an dcoach mode)...Madden has the 1 button mode as well
Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
I agree the controls are too complicated. Especially for casual players. Attempting to introduce people to new games becomes cumbersome because you have to explain the controls for hours on end.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Rookie

"usually there'ARE' ways"...the dyslexia is kickin in today!!!ha ha...luckily i can still remember the difference between escape dribble pull-up and dribble pull up
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 39
Great write up. I hate that gamers want the controls to be too complicated. They think this makes the game more challenging. I find it ridiculous because the gameplay should dictate the realism or way a player play. You should be able to do or not do something with in game tools.

A player shouldn't have to use the controller like a combination lock to do a move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

I think it just depends on what the consumer likes. Personally I HATE Analog with a passion. Analog shooting on 2k basketball games, analog punching in fight night, analog grapples on some wrestling games. I can't stand it. I also am not much on motion controls

Buttons, I love buttons, thank God we can still press square to shoot on 2k basketball games, and WWE '12 changed it's controls back to mostly face buttons.

My point is though is that while analog isn't really complicated I don't like it at all. But I do agree that controls DO become to complicated at times,

All in all though I think it mostly depends on who's playing
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5
Its funny because my GF always hears me complaining because I just cannot do most of the moves on NBA 2K12. Its a mix of there being way to many stick and button combos for one activity and my hands not being as "good" as they use to be. I started wrestling at 5, karate at 12, boxing at 15, weightlifting at 17, and Muay Thai and jiu jitsu at 20. Ive been training and/or competeing in some form of combat sports for 34 years. Now at 39 years old, even though I still train, my hands have been through the ringer. I just dont have the reflexes in my hands anymore to pull off some of the complicated movements. As it is, when I play 2K online I usually get beaten because it only takes whoever I'm playing a couple of quarters to figure out that I can only do the basics. I know what I have to do but just cant put them all together in the small window the game allows us.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
I got an idea for you. Go to 'Coach Settings' in 2K12 and set 'PlayVision' to 'All Plays' and the 'PlayVision Display' to 'Lite'. Next, go to 'Offensive' and 'Defensive' plays and set them to 'Auto'. What this does is the coach takes over in calling plays and all you have to do is execute them.

A couple things before you start playing this way:

-you're going to have to practice any play just a little just to familiarize yourself with the 'Lite' symbols on the court. (what's a pass, pick, dribble, etc.)

-the touches are realistic. (as long as you go where your supposed to with the ball, the distribution will be realistic as your superstar will see most of the touches)

-the reason for the 'PlayVision' set to 'All Plays' is so that you start learning the plays by their names and how they're supposed to work in an effort to one day call your own game or to anticipate what the cpu will do as you already know where the ball will end up.

*i was so happy with the way different teams called their plays I've stuck to this play style and just run the plays as it's very close to what you see in the real game.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »