Home

A Potential Improvement for Be A Player Modes

This is a discussion on A Potential Improvement for Be A Player Modes within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 5
Nice idea, but it leads to nowhere. "All roads lead to Rome" because you are just too good. Even with low ratings you will dominate your league, and if you keep stuck on the bench despite your great stats, you will start to complain. Just think of Road To The Show, I think it was 08, when at the start of your career you would be sent back to AAA even when posting otherworldly numbers because of your low ratings. What did people do? Complain.

I for my part suck at career modes, and I do live the life of a fringe player stuck in AA or as the third string running back. If you want to have more "realistic" careers, then simply don't play sports games as often and don't own everybody

So there's no solution to this, as long as you keep controlling your player directly. There have been text based games like the old "New Star Soccer" that demand decisions and you just click on what you would like to do. Do you try a risky dribble or do you pass the ball? It's probably the most "realistic" thing in terms of narrative, but who would accept a text based career mode in, let's say, "Madden"?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0
I have only tried three different Be a player modes (MLB power pros 2008, NBA 2k series, and MLB The Show 12) and have loved them all. I do acknowledge that these are considered some of the best be a players though
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #27
Rookie

Re: A Potential Improvement for Be A Player Modes

I agree with you too Mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelereign
I agree with you for the most part. However, the issue that these modes must overcome is the short attention span of most gamers and/or the limited time available to play through all the modes.

I would imagine that most sports gamers tend to stick to the calender with their respective sport. I play baseball games during baseball season, football in the fall & winter, etc. I'm lucky to get through one full franchise season with each iteration of a game.

That being said, who wants to spend all their time crafting a BAP only to end up on the pine spitting sunflower seeds for a living? The intent of the mode is to allow the basement QB to achieve "the dream." Most of us have already experienced enough failure in life and would rather avoid another dose of depressing real-world realism and failure.

I agree with RockitOldSchool. If the mode could be developed in a manner similar to the board game "Life" it might work. You decide in the beginning if you want to "roll the dice" and see what happens or go the guaranteed superstar route. Maybe there can be a risk/reward element tied to the decision. For those that go the "gamble" route maybe they get achievements or unlockables that are only available in that mode. If you prefer the guarantee of success, cool, but your in-game rewards are fewer or less-impressive? I don't know. But, I do know that I don't have 4 hours a day to fully flesh out a BAP mode only to find out that my player should be bagging groceries rather than shooting jumpers.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #28
Rookie

I perform I would get much more use out of this mode.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #29
Rookie

At least games don't immediately make your player a starting anymore (I don't think they do at least), because in Madden 10 you're usually already ranked in the excellent 70s and get the starting job at your position on the team that creates you regardless of what position the starting already there is.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »