Home

OS Roundtable: Which Sports Game Has the Best Control Scheme?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Which Sports Game Has the Best Control Scheme? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Roundtable: Which Sports Game Has the Best Control Scheme?

Sports games have long been known for a lot of things, but amazingly intuitive control schemes have rarely been mentioned as the cornerstone of sports games. However, we did ask some of the writers on staff which control scheme they liked best in sports gaming.

Read on to find out what they thought were the best and be sure to add your own into the discussion.

Read More - OS Roundtable: Which Sports Game Has the Best Control Scheme?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Why Not Us?

The_Wise_One's Arena

OVR: 27
I agree with Chris here FIFA and NHL are fantastic. NBA 2k isn't far behind though.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

OVR: 0
I agree both FIFA and NHL are great control schemes and NBA 2K is up there for me as well. I couldn't pick one that I like more than the other though if I had to choose between those 3.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19
CH2k8 gets a nod as well. The passing controls alone in my opinion CHk28 makes it on my list.

Id say pretty much all of 2k sports controls gets my vote.

NHL2k10
NBA2k13
MLB2k series
even football APF2k8 and NFL2k5. those games have control features that EA just started integrating into their control scheme. The last few years EA has improved because of this

MLB THE SHOW 13 gets my vote as well cause of the smoothness and responsiveness.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 33
The aim of any modern sports simulation is to do exactly what it states. To simulate the sport it represents as accurately as possible. This means we expect to have our digital pros behave just as their real life counterparts.
Being able to control all the nuances of movements from a control pad is almost an art form in itself. Die hard fans are able to learn a myriad of button combinations to carry out these moves but it can leave casual gamers somewhat bewildered. Games like FIFA are pretty good at giving both types of player the opportunity to play the game although some of the special moves can be hard to pull off.
It's great to have total control over every deke & shimmy but for the more casual gamer I think a more simplified style of execution should be included. Lets say having a single button control a special move, with that special move being dictated by what's happening on screen at the time.

As for my verdict on the most intuitive I'd probably say FIFA & NBA 2K. The worst game to play for me is Rugby League Live. An horrendous number of button combinations to do the simplest of moves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
The nhl series by ea by far. To me it just feels natural and effortlessly. I played the nhl series for along time and then after nhl 2002 I took some time off because the games were not very good. But when they introduced th analog stick it was the best control scheme it made the game so much better. I've played all major sport games and the nhl is the best by far.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
I actually am loving 2k13's control scheme. I hate the shot stick and the fact you can still shoot with square(PS3) is great. The new dribble move scheme with the right control stick is great too.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
NBA 2k13's control scheme is the best i've played. My brother played the game for the first time last night and was hooked but he was using the buttons to shoot. I taught him how to use the stick & the trigger and he liked it even more. But the thing about the controls is the longer you play the game, the more you use the controls, the more moves you learn how to do and the more realistic the game becomes.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »