Home

Working in the Gaming Industry (Part III)

This is a discussion on Working in the Gaming Industry (Part III) within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Working in the Gaming Industry (Part III)

After just a few months on the job, I started to reevaluate my desire and need to be a part of the video games industry. The one thing that was important to me though, was portraying a professional attitude, and to not cause waves within the office. Waves are not a good thing in the gaming industry, and one can find their way out of the door very quickly if that is the route one chose to travel down.

Read More - Working in the Gaming Industry (Part III)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Rookie

ajaxab's Arena

OVR: 6
In reading through these entries, it has been striking to me just how the general themes the blogger discusses are not exclusive to the game industry. They happen just about everywhere. Those who are young, energetic and creative have a lot of good ideas, but these ideas end up being squashed/hindered/changed by people above them or in the name of a collective decision-making process. It seems that this is as much a general part of bloated, bureaucratic, organizational culture as it is about something specific to the games industry. The bigger the organization, the more difficult it is to advance one's own perspective and see it come to fruition.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Working in the Gaming Industry (Part III)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxab
In reading through these entries, it has been striking to me just how the general themes the blogger discusses are not exclusive to the game industry. They happen just about everywhere. Those who are young, energetic and creative have a lot of good ideas, but these ideas end up being squashed/hindered/changed by people above them or in the name of a collective decision-making process. It seems that this is as much a general part of bloated, bureaucratic, organizational culture as it is about something specific to the games industry. The bigger the organization, the more difficult it is to advance one's own perspective and see it come to fruition.
Couldn't agree more. With that said, leadership at the higher levels will either lift, or sink, all ships. Also, this poster seems to be fairly new to the world, so while he may believe it's a good idea, for the game, if it doesn't add to the bottom line, then it's not a good idea for the business. And, at the end of the day, the company is in business to do one thing, and one thing only, and that's make money.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Yea when reading this you could replace the words "video games" or "video game industry" with just about any other job out there and it would have still made sense.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Nice series and looking forward to next installment. But these issues or company values can be said for any major or mom and pop business.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Rookie

sbunce5's Arena

OVR: 4
Great read. Can't wait for the final part. Such a shame that so many businesses are this way.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 8
Business wants to produce a product that YOU the consumer(ME) will purchase at the Minimum cost to produce - the less improvements the better - because the improvements can be in NEXT YEARS game.

This is why we need competition to get a better product. Can't blame a Company to want to protect their exposure.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Rookie

BCDX97's Arena

OVR: 4
Sadly, I have to say I have learned nothing from these. I was hoping for so much more. It's just a disgruntled working complaining - I can find that anywhere!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »