Home

Court Rules EA's Use of College Athletes Not 'Artistic Expression'

This is a discussion on Court Rules EA's Use of College Athletes Not 'Artistic Expression' within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 05-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 4
So based on that study I should believe that a Redshirt Freshman OLineman at Florida who won't play a single snap should be paid more than a 3 year NFL veteran minimum? You can't compare the NFLPA decertifying and suing the owners to this. Ed O'Bannon is not a member of a union. The article above even states that his case has not gone through Class Action Certification. One thing that study doesn't account for is cost of tutors, nutrition, physicians all provided by the school for the student athlete. Nor did they represent any finical factors to account for these players gaining preferential treatment and requirement exemption during the admissions process. 50% of those Basketball players and Football players couldn't get into those colleges without special rules based on their athletic scholarship status. The kids may be steered in a direction for their major but ultimately they make the choice. And lets be honest most of these kids are only going for sports they choose to stick to the easy majors.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Beat the Heat!

chi_hawks's Arena

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
JerseySuave dropping some knowledge!! Thanks for enlightening these young bucks.

Again, it's not about XYZ players getting money because they're broke, it's about protecting student athletes who are exploited in all facets by big corporations and their colleges.
These kids don't have to accept the scholarship and the 40-50k per year in clothing/food/tuition/travel/ammenities/board/etc.... it entitles. I think this whole thing is silly. You can show me their real "market worth" - doesn't matter. Pretty sure their scholarship says they must maintain amatuer status to remain on the team. Part of amatuer status isn't getting your market value in US currency. If they want that - let em go pro.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0
I dont see why anyone is stressing over this thinking NCAA is going to stop being made if EA loses the case. EA is still going to have the deal with NCAA overall for the teams. All they have to do is make sure the players are randomly generated which I highly doubt is difficult to do as they're all randomly generated after the first season in dynasty anyway.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Court Rules EA's Use of College Athletes Not 'Artistic Expression'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
So based on that study I should believe that a Redshirt Freshman OLineman at Florida who won't play a single snap should be paid more than a 3 year NFL veteran minimum? You can't compare the NFLPA decertifying and suing the owners to this. Ed O'Bannon is not a member of a union. The article above even states that his case has not gone through Class Action Certification. One thing that study doesn't account for is cost of tutors, nutrition, physicians all provided by the school for the student athlete. Nor did they represent any finical factors to account for these players gaining preferential treatment and requirement exemption during the admissions process. 50% of those Basketball players and Football players couldn't get into those colleges without special rules based on their athletic scholarship status. The kids may be steered in a direction for their major but ultimately they make the choice. And lets be honest most of these kids are only going for sports they choose to stick to the easy majors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
These kids don't have to accept the scholarship and the 40-50k per year in clothing/food/tuition/travel/ammenities/board/etc.... it entitles. I think this whole thing is silly. You can show me their real "market worth" - doesn't matter. Pretty sure their scholarship says they must maintain amatuer status to remain on the team. Part of amatuer status isn't getting your market value in US currency. If they want that - let em go pro.
First, let me say you're an idiot if you think i'm comparing the lawsuit against EA to the lawsuit of the NFLPA. You guys keep saying O'Bannon is broke, O'Bannon is a bum, O'Bannon, O'Bannon as if he's the only one suing. When you have people like Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson attached to this lawsuit.

You guys are throwing around a bunch of stereotypes and misinformation. Scholarship pays for anything school related. Again, things like a top notch weight room, top notch medical staff is something the school is not required to offer but if you want to be a top notch program you need these things to compete.

You are asking these players to physically beat each other up, if you want them to be at peak condition then you better provide them a way to do so. If a player gets hurt and they pay for his surgery that is like worker's compensation.

I travel for my job, the cover my expenses. They don't take money out of my salary because i'm getting to experience something I otherwise wouldn't. I'm still being compensated for doing the job being asked of me. So the whole "they get to experience places" argument is also a joke.

There is no arguing against the fact that college athletes are exploited when these schools are making Billions, yes Billions off of the sweat & blood of the athletes.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
I dont see why anyone is stressing over this thinking NCAA is going to stop being made if EA loses the case. EA is still going to have the deal with NCAA overall for the teams. All they have to do is make sure the players are randomly generated which I highly doubt is difficult to do as they're all randomly generated after the first season in dynasty anyway.
because of the money they will have to pay. Don't think that number won't be huge and that it will be a hit to EA. Then they need to think of new ways around making a game that people are still going to want to buy and if it's worth investing the time & money into doing so. I'm not saying they wouldn't continue to make the game, i'm just saying don't think the outcome of this case wouldn't impact the future of the series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 10

I think Reggie Miller should sue Ed O'Bannon and stake his claim to the bald #31 on UCLA!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 4
Damn Jersey we were having an intelligent conversation before you had to throw in personal attacks.
You said:
"O'Bannon's name is the main one on the lawsuit in the same way Tom Brady's name was the one on the lawsuit when the players sued the NFL during the lockout. "

IDK that looks like a comparison to me considering you used the phrase "in the same way".

Bill Russell and Oscar Robinson were not members of an NCAA institution when their likenesses were used without consent and should be compensated.

These are not stereotypes. Are you denying that Athletes get preferential and reduced enrollment requirements based on their athletic scholarship status?

Last year the 3rd string QB at OSU caught heat for saying that he wasn't at OSU to attend classes. He has no shot at the NFL and even he feels that way. I didn't say all athletes fit that mold.

Now looking at the chart Kevin Durant was at Texas for barely 6 months before he bolted to the NBA. So you feel he should have been paid $125,000 per month while he was a "student athlete"? The university gave him the scholie, and exposure to promote himself and his talent on a national stage what is the value of that? I hear you saying what the athletes do for the school. But how does Kevin Durant become the #2 pick in the draft without UTexas brand's exposure? How much more marketable was Durant because he played at Texas instead of Depaul? Do we ever hear of Ed O'Bannon if he enrolls at Cal Poly?
The athletes are getting more than their fair share.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
JerseySuave dropping some knowledge!! Thanks for enlightening these young bucks.

Again, it's not about XYZ players getting money because they're broke, it's about protecting student athletes who are exploited in all facets by big corporations and their colleges.
then FRIGGIN SUE the university you attended. why are you suing a video gaming industry for a few thousand dollars?!?

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »