Home

Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwhiskey119
Start with a sim and then build around it.

Take Out of the Park baseball then add the show gameplay.

Take TEW 13 Wrestling simulator then add WWE/Fire pro whichever type gameplay..

Take OOTP's Boxing sim and then add gameplay.

Create a massive world of data then add your technology and people will be happy.

The show + OOTP baseball would make everyone cream their undies.
I know I would be extremely happy!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
Rookie

ajaxab's Arena

OVR: 6
The key sentence in this article is the very first one. What system(s) is the sports game representing? I would suggest that the system being represented is not really sports, but television sports. The sports video games we have now are generally simulating the mediation of sport and not sport itself. If they were simulating sport, there would be no talk of camera angles, announcers and presentation. Certainly, aspects of sport are being simulated, but we are still far too connected to televised sport in these simulations.

Until we get to a much more realistic version of Virtual Reality complete with first person interactions with other athletes on the field/ice/pitch, I'm not sure we can truly talk about the simulation of sport. Our video games are still a bit too connected to ESPN, CBS, NBC and ABC.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
The biggest problems is on 2 side for me when it comes down to True Simming. There's obviously the fact that the programmers have a lot of problems covering all the things we see in the real world and implement it on the field of play.

The other thing falls on us, gamers. We don't accept what we call "aberation". We play a game, and we expect a great show, tons of spectacular plays and highlights. In the real world, what we do with the 6-3 game between the Bills and the Jags? What we do with the 2-1 game that was boring as hell between the A's and Mariners? Does the game of hockey offers jaw-dropping action every night? That wasn't the case this year and never was, there was the 1-0 Nashville-Phoenix game that would have make Beer Leagues games look spectacular.

We're asking more and more from companies and they seems to only think about getting new people to buy the game. Is it possible to make a nice simulation in a sports game while attracting more casual gamers to play it? Looking at what we have overall now, I would say no. Mainly because all the new goodies and modes that are thrown in games are time not invested in fine tuning the simulation part of these games.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
This is a good article. The game developers need to put in realism and tuners sliders to customize the realism. You can't just put the sliders in it and not explain how to adjust to realism. I think most games need a true casual setting and a true simulation setting.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
The biggest problems is on 2 side for me when it comes down to True Simming. There's obviously the fact that the programmers have a lot of problems covering all the things we see in the real world and implement it on the field of play.

The other thing falls on us, gamers. We don't accept what we call "aberation". We play a game, and we expect a great show, tons of spectacular plays and highlights. In the real world, what we do with the 6-3 game between the Bills and the Jags? What we do with the 2-1 game that was boring as hell between the A's and Mariners? Does the game of hockey offers jaw-dropping action every night? That wasn't the case this year and never was, there was the 1-0 Nashville-Phoenix game that would have make Beer Leagues games look spectacular.

We're asking more and more from companies and they seems to only think about getting new people to buy the game. Is it possible to make a nice simulation in a sports game while attracting more casual gamers to play it? Looking at what we have overall now, I would say no. Mainly because all the new goodies and modes that are thrown in games are time not invested in fine tuning the simulation part of these games.
This isn't true at all. I have personally dealt with some producers. Many of them are trying to find a sweet spot to please the sim minded fans and the casual fans. This hybrid gaming concept is what's turning many gamers away.
The companies need to give sim fans a chance before they say what sells and doesn't. MLB: The Show and NBA 2K sell well. I want text-sim depth on a sports game.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »