Home

Xbox One Won't Support Game Rentals, Used Games Decided by Publishers

This is a discussion on Xbox One Won't Support Game Rentals, Used Games Decided by Publishers within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #57
Rookie

chrisphil1724's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Xbox One Won't Support Game Rentals, Used Games Decided by Publishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
Sony's DRM has already been announced. They said they will not force any restrictions, that it will be 100% up to the publishers of the games.

So people can stop throwing around "Oh, wait for Sony's DRM".. because again, we already know about it.
See that's where you aren't 100% right. Sony, as a publishers not force any restrictions. They does not mean Sony, the hardware maker, will not have a system for DRM on the PS4.

Let's look at what we do know. Sony has said the PS4 will not be always online and will not have an online DRM and games from Sony will not force any restrictions. So end of story, no DRM, we get used games and all is right with the world. Well as Lee Corso would say, not so fast my friend!

As we learned about early this year, Sony United States Patent Application US20130007892, Sony's technology would check a game disc's RFID tag, which is capable of remembering if that game had been linked to a different machine or account. This check is performed offline and before the game is played. So once a game is placed in a PS4, it is locked to that system and cannot be used in a different PS4.

Yes, Microsoft and Xbox One is taking a lot of heat for its online DRM. Microsoft may have done this as a cash grab but it does seem like, more and more, this DRM push is coming from the publishers and not Microsoft. Again, I'd wait for all the info to come. It may not be Microsoft or Sony forcing this.....
Old 06-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #58
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
The only thing I can say is that it will take a miracle to make buy an XBOX One.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #59
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
And as for EA, there's nothing this company will do to get make us look away from the half baked product they've been offering for years. I've been buying EA stuff since 1990, but it's over for me. Just have enough to be taken for an idiot. I don't mind when it's free to feel like an idiot, but paying 72$ for it, I'll find option that cost less and make me feel the same easily.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #60

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisphil1724
See that's where you aren't 100% right. Sony, as a publishers not force any restrictions. They does not mean Sony, the hardware maker, will not have a system for DRM on the PS4.

Let's look at what we do know. Sony has said the PS4 will not be always online and will not have an online DRM and games from Sony will not force any restrictions. So end of story, no DRM, we get used games and all is right with the world. Well as Lee Corso would say, not so fast my friend!

As we learned about early this year, Sony United States Patent Application US20130007892, Sony's technology would check a game disc's RFID tag, which is capable of remembering if that game had been linked to a different machine or account. This check is performed offline and before the game is played. So once a game is placed in a PS4, it is locked to that system and cannot be used in a different PS4.

Yes, Microsoft and Xbox One is taking a lot of heat for its online DRM. Microsoft may have done this as a cash grab but it does seem like, more and more, this DRM push is coming from the publishers and not Microsoft. Again, I'd wait for all the info to come. It may not be Microsoft or Sony forcing this.....
You do know that there are tons of patents everywhere that aren't in use at all right?

I agree that we need to wait before we say Sony is doing the right thing, but having a patent filled means absolutely nothing in the big picture for all intents and purposes.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #61
Rookie

mwjtitans's Arena

OVR: 0
After seeing the Xbox One revealed, I decided to go ahead and jump ship. Traded my xbox 360 for a PS3, and for the last few weeks, I've been pleased. I didnt mind paying for live, but now that I pay for plus, it gives me free games every month, and even if I cancel, I can still play online for free, which is saving me some money right now. Microsoft has been in decline for the last few years, I loved the 360, but im not getting the Xbox One for at least 4-5 years from now after they worked out all the kinks and problems. Just my 2 cents
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #62
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
unless there's an xbox exclusive game out there you can't play without it seems like a no brainer to go with the PS4. Microsoft is trying to do too much with the One. Console gamers want their video games to be the focus. I have something to watch tv, listen to music, check the internet, etc. I'd rather have 5 different things that focus on doing 1 job well than 1 machine doing 5 jobs average. Can't wait to see what Sony does on the PS4 with The Show, you Xbox people who are likely making the jump to the PS4 will be happy once you play that game.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #63
Rookie

SteelersFan09's Arena

OVR: 2
My decision is all but made on the next generation of consoles. I'm going with Sony. Haven't bought a Sony console in well over 10 years but Microsoft is throwing gamers under the bus.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Throne2K11
Exactly, who the hell still rents games anymore? None of this will change my mind about buying an Xbox One.
Thanks for letting us know you two guys are on an island playing circle Jerk.

And anyone else who agrees with them.

The ignorance is stunning. Their is a large market of people that rent games. Ever heard of Gamefly.

I don't rent games but I understand the market.

What's stunning is that Microsoft doesn't understand their own business model.

They still make money off of used games. They make money from the advertisements and things that are sold with used and rented games. When a company sells a map or new content MS still gets a piece of that.

So they are cutting off their nose to spite their faces. This is a about a mega corporation committing suicide because they can't profit the way they want to off of used and rented games.

Good luck MS. It only takes one mistake to kill a system and as long as PS doesn't follow this business model the new Xbox will die a quick death.

Way to put the gun to your head and pull the trigger.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »