Home

Xbox One Won't Support Game Rentals, Used Games Decided by Publishers

This is a discussion on Xbox One Won't Support Game Rentals, Used Games Decided by Publishers within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Xbox One Won't Support Game Rentals, Used Games Decided by Publishers

More news continues to leak about the XBox One and its stance towards classic gaming hallmarks, and the latest news isn't good. It appears Microsoft's new console will not support game rentals and whether used games will be allowed or not will depend on individual publishers. Publishers can lock out the used games market if they so desire.

Users will be allowed to transfer game licenses once to a friend, so long as you have been friends with said friend for more than 30 days on Xbox Live. Microsoft is looking at the possibility of loaned or rented game licenses, but those features won't be available at launch, and perhaps never.

Furthermore, XBox One users will be able to give up to 10 other family members access to their shared library, which presumably will mean people playing on the same console unless Microsoft wants a game-sharing mess on their hands. All titles will be available both digitally as well as on disc. Digitally downloaded titles will be attached to specific users and not consoles, meaning you could realistically download Halo at a friends house and play it via your username.

Of course, all items are subject to change in the future says Microsoft. You can read more about the Xbox One's policies on Polygon. Coincidentally enough, it appears EA's removal of Online Passes was nothing more than a publicity stunt after all.

What do you think? Are you worried about the Microsoft DRM push?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
I gotta say, I have never been less enthused about a new console. I think I'll still be playing my 360 for awhile. I'll see how things shake out, but I see absolutely no reason to jump on the bandwagon.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Who wants to be in my XBox family?

You buy the games and I'll play them

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Next gen = Upgrading my PC !

Chris, there's a nice article at Eurogamer.net: "Microsoft kills game ownership and expects us to smile"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ts-us-to-smile

And then there's this great article: http://www.pcgamesn.com/why-your-nex...e-should-be-pc

Last edited by Profit89; 06-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 39
This is not going to turn out good for XBOX ONE. EA influence has emerged.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Microsoft can do whatever they want, i'm going with a PS3. Microsoft trying too hard to do too many things while not doing the things that gamers want.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Banned

heater41's Arena

OVR: 10
Not going to be effecting me. I was on the fence before, now I KNOW I won't be purchasing one.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Pro

soonermagic88's Arena

OVR: 6
Wow, so im confused. Does Microsoft NOT want people to buy their new system? ....

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »