Home

OS Roundtable: Basketball Edition

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Basketball Edition within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Roundtable: Basketball Edition

As we make the transition to a new generation of basketball games, we got some of our staff writers to answer some questions on the past generation of games and one quick question on the upcoming generation. Did gamers miss NBA Live? Is there any possibility of college hoops coming back? Will we finish the upcoming generation with two NBA games?

See the responses after the jump!

Read More - OS Roundtable: Basketball Edition
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Good article. I'd like to point out(In regards to legends) that I wish NBA2K would put out two versions. Only for the fact I would've never played a NBA2K game except they included the players I loved in 11, I think.. I'm not old(37) but I am old enough to know when BBall was at it's finest and that was the 80s-90s. Those are the players I want to play with.

One that has the current rosters with all the bells and whistles. And another with exact same features and modes but with teams from 70s-2000s. Or something. Hell I'd be happy if you had to buy by genreation. Or buy the main game and buy DLC for the teams and players generations you want.

How cool would it be to do a MYPLAYER and start and come out the same year as Jordan. You could play with all the players of that time.

I know it will never happen because they would need licenses for all the players but damn it would be cool
Old 10-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
How come no mention was made regarding Sony's NBA series? It was around during this console generation. In fact, their portable version for PSP was actually a really good game, significantly better than the poor attempts 2K and EA did during the same time frame. We easily forget how there were actually 3 annual basketball games.

Also, why no mention of arcade titles? Ballers or Street; would have loved to read some insight on that brand of basketball considering you touched upon College hoops.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Rookie

I just have to say that I think that EA gives basketball a try for three years and then it's make it or break it time for the Live developers. If the game is not competing or making profit by 2016 then it's a wrap. EA won't mind either they'll, be too involved with making a multi platform baseball game, since 2K can't get MLB right.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinnow
How come no mention was made regarding Sony's NBA series? It was around during this console generation. In fact, their portable version for PSP was actually a really good game, significantly better than the poor attempts 2K and EA did during the same time frame. We easily forget how there were actually 3 annual basketball games.

Also, why no mention of arcade titles? Ballers or Street; would have loved to read some insight on that brand of basketball considering you touched upon College hoops.
i actually miss Street
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3
Question 1) I say no. 2K has been incredible although two games always gives people something to argue and talk about. Even still I have to admit I know a couple people that have not played a basketball game this generation and probably wont until Live comes out. Talk about head being buried in the sand lol!

Question 2) Yes. Other 2Ks might be better with gameplay, and features, but I'll never be shocked the way I was when I first saw the Jordan challenge. Nothing never ever will drop my jaw like that again!

Question 3) I dont really care for legends. Its not something I really get into. I get more into the current players and future players in my association. I hope they never get rid of the customization that 2K has always been known for. But the legends are cool though.

Question 4) Like everybody else who played, I loved CH2K8. Look back at the game and how many stars were in that game. D Rose, Beasley, the Lopez twins, Westbrook, Kevin Love, Joe Alexander (wait what???). Great game when you got the rosters. I loved that game more the NBA 2k8!

Question 5) EA will keep putting out games regardless of the quality. Like my friend who never played 2K, there are people out there who will just buy EA sports games off of the name, regardless whether its good or not. So why not keep putting it out? Im sure EA will continue from here on out with a Live game and so will 2K. Great, competition is terrific for us.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinnow

I definitely wish they'd bring back Street in some form. Not sure why EA didn't pursue that avenue considering the stranglehold 2K has on sim basketball.

I wish Live was still around so that 2K could tighten up some of the holes that still exist in some of the game modes.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Man I miss college basketball games. I would lay down some big bucks for a new one. Likely Day one pre-order if one were made.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »