Home

Arcade Games: Where Art Thou?

This is a discussion on Arcade Games: Where Art Thou? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
I would GLADLY pay full retail for a remastered NBA Street Vol 2. I miss that game sooooooo much, At that time, I don't think there was a game I played more.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
Just started!

OVR: 0
EA HAS REALLY FELL OFF FROM WHAT THEY USED TO BE. ALL THEIR BEST GAMES NBA STREET, NFL STREET, AND DEF JAM VENDETTA ALL SCRATCHED? YOU CANT BE SERIOUS BRING BACK EA BIG AND STOP TRYING TO MAKE NBA LIVE AND GET BACK TO WHAT YOU KNOW BEST. WE ALL WANT A NEW NBA STREET AND DEF JAM VENDETTA
Old 01-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
Just started!

BRING BACK A REALISTIC NBA STREET TO, WHAT I MEAN IS NO STUPID JUMPING OVER THE BACKBOARD DOUBLE DUNKING BS. THE FIRST TWO NBA STREETS WERE THE BEST BECAUSE THEY WERE IN THE REALM OF REALISM, JUMPING TOO HIGH ASIDE, THE TRICKS AND SOME IF NOT ALL THE DUNKS WERE POSSIBLE SO IT WAS EXCITING WHEN PULLING THEM OFF. A MORE REALISTIC STREETBALL GAME IN THE REALM OF NBA 2K14 "THE PARK" MODE WITH THE TRICKS AND DUNKS, ALONG WITH THE REAL LIFE HISTORIC COURTS. ALSO BRING BACK DEF JAM VENDETTA IN THE REALM OF WHAT MADE THE FIRST TWO GAMES GREAT WHICH WAS MORE OF A WRESTLING TYPE GAME AND NOT SOME GOOFY TURN TABLE SLUGGER TYPE GAME WHICH MADE DEF JAM ICON FORGETTABLE AND NOT AS FUN AS THE FIRST TWO
Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #20
Rookie

How 'bout some NHL Hitz from the original XBOX? That was fun, eh?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Arcade Games: Where Art Thou?

Nba street need to come back

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #22
Rookie

HAILTOPITT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastySplitty
How 'bout some NHL Hitz from the original XBOX? That was fun, eh?
NHL Hitz was great. So was MLB Slugfest. I miss those
Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #23
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Arcade games serve to engage the casual or new fan to a sport in a way that full on simulations can't.

Case in point: NHL
I grew up in central Texas to non-American parents - there is quite simply no way I was ever exposed to this sport, which is a shame. The game of hockey has so much skill, speed, brutality and thinking but unless you played the game of hockey there is no way to get immersed into how to play traditional hockey.

Instead of having an arcade option to quench my hockey thirst - and to let me learn about the concepts of hockey - I am thrown directly into NHL 13. Now, the game is absolutely amazing, and I love it, but I can't help but notice I lose a lot of games or at a complete disadvantage - or have online teammates yell at me - because I don't understand fundamentals or nuances of hockey. I didn't know about icing. I didn't know you can't just go for big hits all game. I didn't know hockey was zone based and not a man-to-man type of sport. I didn't know anything about line changes, let alone that bench placement and substitutions play a huge role in the pacing of a game. I don't even know how to manage a team roster in NHL. Essentially, more than half the game is unusable to me, but that's mainly because I get so discouraged at all the knowledge I lack.

To make my point short - too late - arcade games serve as a great gateway to SIM titles. They also provide casual fans of a sport a means to play without being overwhelmed by the nuances of a sport.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
For this article, I’m purposefully leaving out extreme sports...
Thing is, you could easily ask the question: Extreme Sports Games, Where Art Thou?

Skating and snowboarding games have always been some of the funnest sports games to me; there is no winning or losing per se, just go out and thrash just for the sake of it.

We used to have a new Tony Hawk game very year. SSX was a blast to play, though I didn't care at all for the PS3 version (redo/rewind and start over?! come on defeats the purpose!). And now extreme sports games seem to have vanished from the landscape, with no sign of them appearing on the horizon any time soon.

What a shame too. These new powerful systems are just asking for new skating and snowboarding games. Hopefully a publisher steps up and delivers, without trying to get too clever about it.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »