Home

MLB 14 The Show: Debating the Merits of Quick Counts

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: Debating the Merits of Quick Counts within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Overall it is good, but it has it's flaws like anything else. I use it every game now just because I enjoy how much quicker i can get through a game, but as stated in the article it sucks in bunting and base stealing situations.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #34
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
QC (along with Dynamic Difficulty) is a "Game Saver" for me...

Before this feature, I not only had ker-azy looooong game times, but I couldn't get the walk totals or strike percentages close enough for my liking...

Neither feature is "perfect", but they're def impressive initial efforts, that I hope SCEA builds off of going forward...
Old 05-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #35

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: MLB 14 The Show: Debating the Merits of Quick Counts

I love it but feel it can be improved. This game seems to embrace giving us options, so what I would like is the option to choose a quick count or not before the at bat. How that would work I dont know and is something to be discussed. I pretty much only play with quick counts now but in some situations I prefer to start with a 0-0 count. Ive been using quick counts with fast play and games take 25 minutes. With traditional broadcast its about 45 minutes.

EDIT: the one moment it would suck to have quick counts is game 7 of the world series your pitching, game tied with 2 outs and the bases loaded in the 9th and you get handed a 3-0 count. I'd go crazy lol.

Last edited by m1ke_nyc; 05-18-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #36
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
I really like to idea of QC and applaud SDS for finding a way to make the game quicker for those that enjoy it. I don't use them and probably won't because Since MLB 07 on the PS2 and MLB 08 on the PS3 I have been working to train my hitting eye to lay off the low change up and the slider tailing away. It took me a long time, but I am now able to work counts, foul off pitches and drive up pitch counts organically through the game, that I can't go away from it knowing all the work I put in.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #37
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22
I tried one game of quick counts, and that's enough for me. It's good that they added the feature for those who like it, but to me it just feels like an incomplete game. One of the great things about baseball is pitcher vs. hitter battle and the build up to it -- working the count, fouling off pitches to stay alive, nibbling the corners, deciding which pitch to throw and what location, etc. It just doesn't feel the same when you walk up there with a 3-2 count.

Good for those who can now play 162-game seasons with this feature. But the bottom line for me is I'd rather play fewer games as long as they're complete games, with the full complement of pitches.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: MLB 14 The Show: Debating the Merits of Quick Counts

I'm glad it's in for those that enjoy it/want quicker games. The more options the better.

But for me? I can't use it. Starting in the middle of an at-bat would be like starting on second or third down in Madden. I need the control that a regular game provides.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:55 AM   #39
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I tried one game of quick counts, and that's enough for me. It's good that they added the feature for those who like it, but to me it just feels like an incomplete game. One of the great things about baseball is pitcher vs. hitter battle and the build up to it -- working the count, fouling off pitches to stay alive, nibbling the corners, deciding which pitch to throw and what location, etc. It just doesn't feel the same when you walk up there with a 3-2 count.

Good for those who can now play 162-game seasons with this feature. But the bottom line for me is I'd rather play fewer games as long as they're complete games, with the full complement of pitches.
But the pitcher vs batter battle is still there ??? its just compressed and intensified based off attributes as a start and then you work from that scenario thats presented to you .

I mean the cpu still bunts when it wants to sacrifice and so do I and the same with stealing but once again its compressed so you better make each pitch count and choose carefully or have some reasoning.

I think theres even more strategy involved when using quick counts then the regular full games as you have little room for error because each pitch can make or break you .

I also play full broadcast and dont skip scenes so gameplay time is better but not under a hour most games and I mainly play QC for its excellent programming and I feel nothing being forced which leads to zero frustration for me win or lose and thats my key as its very solid stat wise on straight allstar default using timed hit and classic pitch .
Old 05-22-2014, 11:54 PM   #40
cws
Rookie

cws's Arena

OVR: 0
I absolutely hate it! I want a REALISTIC game. Baseball is a slow game - it is supposed to be slow and not made quicker to finish. Quick counts and player lock does not belong in a baseball simulation video game. Save it for an arcade game!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »