Home

EA's Frostbite Engine: What is it, Why You Should Care

This is a discussion on EA's Frostbite Engine: What is it, Why You Should Care within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
EA's Frostbite Engine: What is it, Why You Should Care

In recent weeks, I've noticed some OS forum dwellers stating their confusion about EA's Frostbite engine, and wondering what it means for the future of their favorite EA Sports games. For the most part, this discussion has emerged following the announcement that Madden NFL 18 will transition to the engine later this year.

There are many fans that don't know the difference between Ignite and Frostbite. For those of you in that boat, this is an opportunity to learn what the Frostbite engine is, how it's affected the games industry thus far, and what you might be able to expect from it going forward.

This isn't a technical discussion by any means. It's purely a basic rundown of the engine and how it operates based on known facts, interviews and my own personal perspective.

Read More - EA's Frostbite Engine: What is it, Why You Should Care
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 33
I've probably made this comment many times but the ability to create a rewarding game is more often limited, not by the technology, but by the creativeness/effort/imagination & most importantly desire of the developers.
EA have made some engaging sports games but remain far beyond the efforts we've seen in NBA 2K & MLB The Show. EA will never catch up to these standard setting games unless they dilute their over enthusiasm in their 'Ultimate Team' money making modes.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
I don't think the frostbite engine is going to do anything drastically different that'll alter the way we see ea's sports titles. I don't see them trying anything outside of the box unfortunately. No disrespect and would never call for someone's job, but I haven't heard of any notable changes to the team making the game, but then again it's not like 2k where I know a lot of those guys because they handle one notable game, I really just know a few guys scattered from different games at ea.

I know I come off pessimistic about ea but it's not all bad, this one NBA live dev wrote this a while back and has me enthused about playing live this spring, https://medium.com/@jcdelannoy/common-mistakes-in-game-animation-73e9c163c80b
Old 04-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
I've probably made this comment many times but the ability to create a rewarding game is more often limited, not by the technology, but by the creativeness/effort/imagination & most importantly desire of the developers.
EA have made some engaging sports games but remain far beyond the efforts we've seen in NBA 2K & MLB The Show. EA will never catch up to these standard setting games unless they dilute their over enthusiasm in their 'Ultimate Team' money making modes.
^This.

I would add one more game to your list: Pro Evolution Soccer. All 3 of these titles are far superior in terms of gameplay than anything EA produces. Far, far superior.

To put it short, EA games lack soul. They just feel very corporate if you will. Like corporate guys at the top made all the important decisions; or that the it was made by a very large team working on different components, separately. As a result, EA games have this factory-made hollow feel to them. You can always feel when a game is a labour of love, like Super Mega Baseball for example. Small indy teams are especially good in that regard.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollack34
^This.

I would add one more game to your list: Pro Evolution Soccer. All 3 of these titles are far superior in terms of gameplay than anything EA produces. Far, far superior.

To put it short, EA games lack soul. They just feel very corporate if you will. Like corporate guys at the top made all the important decisions; or that the it was made by a very large team working on different components, separately. As a result, EA games have this factory-made hollow feel to them. You can always feel when a game is a labour of love, like Super Mega Baseball for example. Small indy teams are especially good in that regard.
Lack soul....
That is exactly what it is about. It is the reason why I still will fire up 2k football, just to be in the environment of the game. 2k game has faults and is graphically dated, but the soul of the game still beats a lot of things out today.

It is the reason why I play NBA 2k often even though I'm not the biggest fan of the NBA anymore. It has so much soul and personality to the game, it just makes it fun to play and turn on.

I've linked EA's games, specifically Madden, to say KFC. It's good chicken. Not bad. But it's nothing like "Grandmama's Chicken."
Grandma's chicken is made with love and is the best thing ever! While KFC is good when you eat it and it fills you up and satisfies you when you hungry, but it doesn't hit you in the face like Grandmamma chicken.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2017, 12:59 AM   #6
Rookie

Re: EA's Frostbite Engine: What is it, Why You Should Care

EA games sports games is one of the best games in the world work hard

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »