Home

With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in Sports Video Games?

This is a discussion on With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in Sports Video Games? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in Sports Video Games?

The first sports video game I fell in love with was Bulls vs Lakers and the...

Written By: Brandon Kosal

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in

I will preface this with the acknowledgment that I am old and out of touch.

While the popularity of UT is undeniable (my teenage son is certainly part of that community), I still don't get the appeal. Sure, maybe as a mini-game add on, but not the bread and butter of the franchise?

I date back to Atari (and Mattel electronics before that), so I had to wait a while to actually get real teams & players. But for me, that was the appeal...to be able to play with and against real teams. I just don't get the long lasting appeal to UT???
Old 01-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
If the NHL series is any indication, they'll slowly be put on the back burner and given pretty modest updates over years instead of with each release.
The NHL series has become incredibly stale in the GM mode, and is the primary reason I stopped playing and buying the series. EA clearly doesn't care much outside of their online play, so why should I sink my money into something they're not worried about?*
Old 01-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
I think the popularity is overblown and overstated.*

If more effort was put in franchise modes they would be played more. Truth is most series have given up making massive improvements to franchise mode and have convinced people that paying for UT modes is the way to go.

its *Emperors new clothes - people believe everyone loves this modes and they don’t....

but they are the modes companies are pushing And advancing ....

its a shame as the modes are shallow and a good dynamic franchise mode would be far More rewarding *
Old 01-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
My interests in sports gaming would die if franchise modes became even more stripped down and less engaging. However, today's youth love the thrill of connecting online and facing human opponents (some were born into Ultimate Team as a norm). I see this in my son -- although not for sports, but for games like Battlefield and Battlefront. If it's where the money is, then EA has to keep share holders happy. That's why they're in business. So, do I think Franchise Mode is an endangered species? Not altogether... but it will be VERY VERY interesting to see what EA does with NBA Live later this year. That will tell the tale - and it will be the deciding factor if I pump any more cash into basketball gaming. I'm just old school and gotta have an engaging franchise mode to stay happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
MVP

Re: With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
If the NHL series is any indication, they'll slowly be put on the back burner and given pretty modest updates over years instead of with each release.
The NHL series has become incredibly stale in the GM mode, and is the primary reason I stopped playing and buying the series. EA clearly doesn't care much outside of their online play, so why should I sink my money into something they're not worried about?*

I agree Hank. NHL used to be a yearly buy for me. No question. I have not picked a version up in 3 years due to the lack of Franchise development.

I do not think that Franchise modes will die, because I think that UT types modes will fall out of favor at some point. There is always a pivot. They already get little, no no, attention as it is. To be frank, they would lose way too many yearly sales if they do away with Franchise modes.

I can enjoy playing UT, and even spend money on it. If the Franchise mode were to disappear, I would no no longer buy the games every year. Madden is already a no buy for me next year, because of the lack of improvements In Franchise. (See my NHL comment above). The only reason I played Madden was because it was gifted to me.

At some point, the devs will realize that they neglected their bread and butter customers. The true question is, will it be too late for them when they realize it?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
MVP

To add, will sites like OS continue to be around if this happens? Love this place. Some days more than others. Check out the card collecting forums here. Crickets.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 0

I'm not a fan of card collecting modes at all. I want the most realistic experience possible. If franchise modes start to suck or go away I'll no longer play sports games. If you ever watch 2KTV on NBA 2K, they pretty much never talk about mygm/myleague.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »