Home

Traditional Sports Gaming is Threatened by Microtransactions

This is a discussion on Traditional Sports Gaming is Threatened by Microtransactions within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #9
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
At $500 million in profits you can afford to make the game however you want to. *I will never play anything that I need to pay micro transactions for. It’s not at all about the money it’s just those type of modes don’t do anything for me. I don’t want to collect , or grind out my games. I want to take control of my favourite team and run them how I want. It’s what the essence of sports gaming is. It’s why we have official licences.*
Im not at all saying don’t make *the micro transactions *game and roll around in all your dough but at $500 million it doesn’t at all need to be one or the other. *Put more resources and make *complete sports games that cater to all sports fans. That’s what *is supposed to happen. *If we lose all semblance of artistry or passion for the games and it turns completely iinto just the money than I will be very *disappointed in the industry I have loved for 30 years.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #10
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Traditional Sports Gaming is Threatened by Microtransactions

Publishers are making a fools choice. They can and should invest in both modes. I’m fact, with the windfall of money from UT, they should be able to add resources to make solo modes better. Maybe one day publishers will realize not everyone wants to play online. They are leaving money on the table by ignoring solo gamers.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 12-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
MVP

brahmagoul's Arena

OVR: 12

As long as there is a profit to be made, can't blame the publishers. It's the consumer's fault.

I think I read something about those smartphone games and the effect it has on the brain. There's gotta be a similar impact with microtransactions, and the rush of getting something cool. It's an addiction.

The one year I played Madden Ultimate Team, I could feel it. Getting Jarvis Landry or a player I liked in a pack was cool. Grinding to get a weekly reward became addicting.

No one is on here to defend microtransactions because they are too busy filling that addiction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #12
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Can't blame publishers.
But what will probably happen sometime in the future (not saying a year from now or even five years from now. Someday) is a game company will create a really solid licensed sports title that does not focus on micro-transactions and instead charges a reduced price for everyone that wants a traditional sports game with franchise mode plus online PvP at most without all the gimmicks and the core gamers will abandon the giants.

Obviously, it won't have a big impact on EA and 2K because they'll still make the same revenue from their card games so I don't see that stopping them at all.* But when that day comes, they'll abandon being simulation sports titles and it's up to them to decide if that's what they want to be.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 12-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8

The EA Online Pass wasn't an additional $10 to play online. It was code you had to enter and you would get it free if you bought the game new. You would have to pay $10 to get a code if you bought the game second hand.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
Looks like I’m the only one that plays hut. Now I don’t spend money, I grind a ton but I love playing online. I’m very competitive and playing the cpu just doesn’t cut it for me anymore. Maybe if the cpu was improved to actually resemble how players and teams operate but in madden it’s pretty much the same thing with every team.*
Old 12-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #15
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
Maybe if the cpu was improved to actually resemble how players and teams operate but in madden it’s pretty much the same thing with every team.*
Agreed here. But this has NEVER been a focus of EA. I am a few Madden's behind, but in their 25th iteration of the game, the CPU was not able to make simple clock management decisions, let alone the far more complex decisions required to compete with a human.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2019, 12:35 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0
I actually don't mind the card games, but then, I only play those for the wheeling and dealing.* Those modes need to have space for a merchant base, but few do. Now with different sets coming out all year long in some titles, even basic buying and selling is getting passé.* What, exactly, IS a basic set, when it's constantly being expanded?* And if catering to instant gratification junkies with deep pockets ends up being the straw that stirs the drink, why bother with season, career, and the rest?* *And so, in the end, long-form modes are getting short shrift, because developers can't find a happy medium.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »