Home

Racism in Sports Games: Moderation Must Be Improved

This is a discussion on Racism in Sports Games: Moderation Must Be Improved within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Racism in Sports Games: Moderation Must Be Improved

Sports video games and how they interact with the US and global discourse right around Black...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by ChaseB; 06-05-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 11
Re: Racism in Sports Games: Moderation Must Be Improved

I agree wholeheartedly with the message of this article, but I strongly disagree with the choice of image accompanying the piece. I understand the temptation to provide an example, and anyone who has gamed online knows how tragically widespread these examples are, but examples (and especially those presented before any context is established) often do more harm than good. Regardless of the intent behind the example, it gives a wide platform to the original hateful idea, and it subjects your Black readers to having to see and be reminded of those ideas. I would suggest you replace the image with one that won’t immediately subject Black readers to confronting examples of hate (it’s not their responsibility to confront it), and if you choose to provide examples put them farther down the article with an appropriate disclaimer.

-Noah

Last edited by Noah Weber; 06-05-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Sure Noah, feedback appreciated and changes made.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 11

Thank you for being responsive to the feedback.

And again, I think this is overall a really important piece. We all have to use our platforms to influence positive change and I think this article is a great example of what that looks like. I hope other outlets follow your lead and start addressing racism within their realms, and calling out the organizations who have the power to do something about it.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
Look, I hate to be the fuddy-duddy curmudgeon here, but I play games to get away from stuff like this.
Maybe if EA and the rest weren't pushing so much of the flashy new content online, while leaving offline modes to rot, we might not be seeing so much of this.* You think?
Yes, I know, improving offline modes would mean actually needing creative thinking on the developer side, instead of farming it off on the community.*
But if community based content can be so easily turned to just about any ignoble purpose, then maybe it's time for the industry at large to start refocusing on offline content.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
LoadStar this *has nothing to do with online offline. This has everything to do with targeted hate from a group with a lack of accountability from the community and the gaming industry to police this.

While you may not play online, I do from time to time. I’ve never understood some of the rhetoric. I have reported people for stuff. At the end of the day, everyone should be provided the same decent gaming experience online for the game they want to play. *Not be called the N word over and over which I have had in lobbies. I’m not black however a guy I play with has hood in his name and gets it. And when you hit that person they don’t stop. *

Chase thank you for bringing this to light. I didn’t realize that existed in NHL. Ooof. We need to just be better overall. White, black, guy, girl, keep the trash talk about the game. Keep the racist phrases out. Work together in this to provide the best community.*
Old 06-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

if this issue really takes a hold, I can even see sports video game companies keeping the Redskins and Indians names out of their game.

A Work in Progress
Old 06-05-2020, 11:21 PM   #8
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadder
Wow! My post was deleted. Operation Sports. Why have a comments section if you only want like minded people? Just tell me if you want hive minded people.
(The post was deleted because you said it was a slippery slope to ban blatantly racist things because any censorship is bad censorship, and instead your opinion was just "log out" so yeah. If deleting something like that means this is now a hive mind then fair enough.)

Last edited by ChaseB; 06-05-2020 at 11:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »