Home

Posts I'll Never Understand

This is a discussion on Posts I'll Never Understand within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content
NBA Live 19 Review
NBA 2K19 Review
NASCAR Heat 3 Review

Old 04-11-2005, 03:46 PM   #81
MVP

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Posts I'll Never Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
I'm interested in gaming on a theoretical level, the way you'd discuss film or literature, and it's fun to have a debate on these "brass tacks" of sports gaming. Sliders fascinate me because they are so unique to the world of sports gaming, and bring up interesting issues of author's intent. We expect sliders in MVP, but not in Splinter Cell, and I can't help but wonder why.
Good question. And for the record, I'm glad you posted this topic...I sorta interpreted you posting it as you wanting to hear explanations and reasons from the Slider/CPU Watcher community for why we do what we do. So your article didn't offend me at all.

I think that one reason why we want sliders in MVP (to take just one sports game as an example) is because of the exposure we get to the MLB on a daily basis, either through Radio, Print, TV, or just buddies talking about the games. We don't get that kind of exposure to government black ops, espionage and covert operations.

If you are hearing all year about how K-rod is striking out all these batters in real life, but while playing MVP or looking at stats notice that his ERA is consistently over 5.00 after X number of simmed seasons, you will question the integrity of the game (unless you're playing something like MLB Slugfest).

If you are hearing about Barry Bonds hitting all these homeruns on TV and when you play the game (or watch the CPU play) Bonds hits the same # of HRs as David Eckstein at the end of a simulated season, then you'll question the integrity of the game. Especially if you come to a forum and ev'one is saying the same thing about the virtual Bond's performance. There will be a thread like "Why can't Bonds Hit in this Game?" And I think the thread would be like 5-10 pages long in no time. The thread will be full of comments like:

"It's poor development"
"You need to learn to hit"
"I'm taking this game back"
"Use these slider adjustments to increase CPU hitting"
"Who says Bonds can't have only 12 hr's through 120 games in real life?"
"It's not a big deal. You guys are over-exaggerating. This game is great."
"I use the Giants and I hit plenty of HR with Barry Bonds."
"Will there be a patch?"
"They ruined this game."
"If you don't like it, just play the other baseball game."

And there will be other additional Threads on the same subject like:

"I know why Bonds can't Hit"
"Bonds hitting is..."
"CAP for Barry Bonds here"
"Anyone else notice this?"
"Quick Question"
"For all those who use the Giants"
"Barry Bonds glitch related to Steroid Allegations?"
"Does Anyone Know how to..."

So I think it's b/c we receive so much exposure to the real thing, that we desire for our sports games to mimic the real thing. And we have something to base it on - stats and images and recaps that we are bombarded with ev'day. I can't speak for ev'one, but it just adds to the fun factor when I have to pitch to Bonds with the bases loaded...b/c I get the same butterflies and want to strike him out just about as much as I want him to strike out if I am watching him on TV bat with the bases loaded agiant my fav. team. But if the virtual Bonds is batting .232 with 12 HRs through 120-plus games played in September, it just takes away from the experience.

And don't you just love it when the CPU walks Bonds with 2 outs and first base open in order to protect its lead in the 9th inning? And why do we like seeing that scenario unfold in a videogame? B/c we see it so much in real life.

Heck, if the game the developers gave us won't do it "right out the box," then maybe, just maybe, the sliders will.

Sliders keep hope alive.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #82
Banned

OVR: 7

...this thread is crap...

You guys should use the settings to make it more enjoyable
Note: all points from the middle "default"

Sarcasm: +8
Politeness: -4
Humor: +3

My 2 cents: this is something i dont feel too strongly about. I like sliders because i have seen them address specific gameplay problems I am having, but i HATE them because they make me feel like i am never at the optimum gaming settings and there is always a final tweak I need to go to enjoy the game to a level to which someone else is enjoying it.

Sliders have made us much less tolerant to things we might once have overlooked thus making it harder for me to enjoy games. But I guess i still need them in case i find something in a game that i just have to tweak.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:51 AM   #83
Pro

OVR: 7

[quote=tigerx82
My 2 cents: this is something i dont feel too strongly about. I like sliders because i have seen them address specific gameplay problems I am having, but i HATE them because they make me feel like i am never at the optimum gaming settings and there is always a final tweak I need to go to enjoy the game to a level to which someone else is enjoying it.

Sliders have made us much less tolerant to things we might once have overlooked thus making it harder for me to enjoy games. But I guess i still need them in case i find something in a game that i just have to tweak.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point, I agree 100%. In the end though I'm glad I have sliders. And although a lot of people here obsess about them I think for the most part its really an ends to a means. If we didnt truly believe the games were being enhanced by sliders there wouldn't be such a fuss over them. In some cases sliders might be used as a crutch (as opposed to learning to play better). But in the end I I think it comes down to the fact that many of these games are not shipping with gameplay that matches real life as much as we'd like and sliders have time and again helped that.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »