Home

Posts I'll Never Understand

This is a discussion on Posts I'll Never Understand within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #49
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Posts I'll Never Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
Aren't the "default" sliders (as brought up by the author) just like sliders developed by Pared or Jistic except they happen to be developed by people employed by EA?
Did you read the comment you're taking issue with?

That is specifically in reference to people who will not even open a game until a "slider set" is published.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #50
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medway
As far as the comment on WE8, that game doesn't need sliders because they actually got it right, thats why no one complains about the lack of sliders unlike many other games.
We may never know, but I copmpletely disagree. If there were sliders available, people would be publishing their "set".
Old 04-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #51
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
We may never know, but I copmpletely disagree. If there were sliders available, people would be publishing their "set".
I think this is an important point in the "slider" argument. I think a lot of times there are people who tweak sliders just to tweak them, without really understanding the impact it will have on gameplay. Tweaking one slider may "fix" one thing but "break" another.

That being said, I think fossen has a valid point because the average amateur slider maker won't put as much time as the developers did into finding and understanding that delicate balance. However, there are the Pared's and Jistic's out there who do put in the necessary work that can be of some benefit to a lot of players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #52
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Did you read the comment you're taking issue with?

That is specifically in reference to people who will not even open a game until a "slider set" is published.
It was more geared towards this comment:

Quote:
Developers and playtesters worked a long time on hammering out the defaults.
Again, who says their "defaults" are any better than the "defaults" developed by people here at OS?
Old 04-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #53
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

Quote:
Again, who says their "defaults" are any better than the "defaults" developed by people here at OS?
Again ... what does that have to do with not breaking the shrinkwrap until there are released slider "sets"?

The developers' aren't necessarily better, but they reflect the artistic vision of the developers. There is no such thing as an objective, "realistic" sports game ... they are all interpretations of the sport. They are what the game was intended to be, and at least deserve a try, and an attempts to come to grips with what is offered.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #54
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Again ... what does that have to do with not breaking the shrinkwrap until there are released slider "sets"?

The developers' aren't necessarily better, but they reflect the artistic vision of the developers. There is no such thing as an objective, "realistic" sports game ... they are all interpretations of the sport. They are what the game was intended to be, and at least deserve a try, and an attempts to come to grips with what is offered.
I don't see where, in the article, it states that the slider discussion is based on gamers that don't break the shrinkwrap until a slider set is released. This is the paragraph I based my post on:

Quote:
I don't care for sliders, and I've written about it before. I despise the things, and am crazed by those that obsess over them. I'll save the full diatribe for another time, but in short I just don't like the immediate tinkering with a game, then proclaiming within hours of breaking the shrinkwrap that the game has been somehow improved. Developers and playtesters worked a long time on hammering out the defaults. To tinker with the game to make your experience better makes some limited sense: perhaps you can't react quick enough and need to lower the pitch speed, or simply find that you need a difficulty level in between the presets. However, proclaiming that your "slider set" is somehow a universal solution that is better than what ships seems a monumental act of hubris.
While this paragraph hits the hardest on gamers that think one single slider set is the end-all, beat-all to all others (which is completely asinine), it also sheds a negative light on sliders in general. As if the default sliders are the end-all, beat-all to all other slider sets.

Because that's what the default sliders really are.......just another slider set.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:45 PM   #55
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Oh deffinatly, if they were there someone would make a set but I bet a large portion of people wouldn't bother messing with them since it obviously plays so well out of the box.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #56
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Because that's what the default sliders really are.......just another slider set.
No, actually the default settings are the design of the game.

Check out my BLOG - Remodeling Clay

Follow me on Twitter: @RemodelingClay

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »