Home

OS on ESPNEWS

This is a discussion on OS on ESPNEWS within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2005, 05:03 PM   #81
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: OS on ESPNEWS

Great job Shawn!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #82
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Hope I can see it somewhere..=/
Old 07-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #83
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Me too.

AHolbert......what process would we have to go through to ask ESPN to let us host it on our site?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #84
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Me too.

AHolbert......what process would we have to go through to ask ESPN to let us host it on our site?
I think its similar to how it works at the Discovery Channel where I work. We would have to contact their legal department and depending on the length of the clip, the content of the clip and the network's policy. Discovery would probably let a website use the clip as long as it was a respected website. I hear ESPN's procedures are alot stricter though. I could be wrong though.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #85
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19

Thanks, everyone - that was nuts. Live TV is insane...

I showed up at the ESPNZone 20 minutes before my call. I was planning to go over my fact sheets and prep so I wouldn't trip over anything. As I walk in the front doors, the show is on, and I hear over the speakers, "and in our next segment, we're talking video games" or something like that. I looked down at my watch as I hopped on the escalator and was thoroughly confused. Soon as I got to the top, a woman came up to me and asked, "are you the games expert for The Pulse?" - probably not a tough guess as it's Saturday in Colorado (it's a very casual state, and people in ties on Saturdays stick out like a sore thumb). Plus, it was 95 degrees today and I was carrying my portfolio... so it wasn't exactly a stretch.

Anyway, she says in a breathless rush that their last guest skipped out, so they wanted to get me on immediately. Within about 3 minutes, they wired me up, and I was on.

I'm in front of the video wall (if you've ever been to an ESPNZone, the entire restaurant is angled to look at this wall) on a raised stage, with two huge lights about 30 inches from my face. I don't have a monitor (I haven't seen it yet, so I have no idea what the fellow I was talking to looked like); just the earpiece - which was too big and kept falling out, but we had no time to find a smaller one - and the camera to look into. There are two guys in the booth, one sound man, one cameraman and one director all wedged around me, and I hear the host talking in my headset.

Now I can't really see it, but there's a slight reflection in some glass around the bar that shows me that all the TV's got tuned to the interview (including the huge 20-foot one), and I'm happy I have the lights to blind me from the two hundred people or so in there staring at me...

Anyway, it was challenging. Like I said, I haven't seen it yet, so I hope I didn't stumble over too many things. It was a little tough to hear the host and odd to have to look into the camera at nothing while it feels like I'm talking on the phone.
It was an interesting and exciting experience, if a little disconcerting. Doing all of it on the fly gives you a new respect for those on-the-spot reporters.

I hope it made ESPN happy - I'd love to come back and do it again. I hope everyone enjoyed it and I represented the site well. Thanks for being so supportive!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #86
Cr*m*n*lly *nd*rr*t*d

LetsGoPitt's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I think its similar to how it works at the Discovery Channel where I work. We would have to contact their legal department and depending on the length of the clip, the content of the clip and the network's policy. Discovery would probably let a website use the clip as long as it was a respected website. I hear ESPN's procedures are alot stricter though. I could be wrong though.
Just a hunch, but they might be more flexible since it's one of our guys in the clip. I'd really like to see the segment too!
“In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush. We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore. If this is evolution, I believe that in twelve years, we'll be voting for plants.” - Lewis Black
Old 07-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #87
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPitt
Just a hunch, but they might be more flexible since it's one of our guys in the clip. I'd really like to see the segment too!
You could be right but with most cases its similar to this situation. A guy from a website appears on a show and the guy wants to use the clip on his site. With that said, I hope that we can put it on the site.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #88
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

I remember when I think IGN was on ESPNEWS and they showed a clip of NHL 2k5 (or maybe it was 2k4), someone found a link to some website that showed it. Don't remember the link though. So maybe just google it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »