Home

Whatever Happened to the Good Times?

This is a discussion on Whatever Happened to the Good Times? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Whatever Happened to the Good Times?

Terry Crouch has just posted an article entitled, Whatever Happened to the Good Times? Make sure you give it a read and let us know how you feel about it.
"For those of us old enough to remember, gaming as a kid in the ColecoVision and Atari 2600 days was nothing but fun. Whether it was Pitfall or Real Sports Football, Circus Atari…you name it, it was really fun to fire up a console and cut loose a bit. Early versions of football on ColecoVision were simply small sprites on a green screen, but somehow they brought the game alive because you were actually controlling something that you couldn’t hope to do in your own life. The Nintendo Entertainment System really ushered in a whole new era in gaming, and games like Tecmo Super Bowl and Baseball Stars will forever live on as milestones in gaming, particularly sports gaming, because one included real players and teams, while the other included features that were so far ahead of their time, it was ridiculous."
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Re: Whatever Happened to the Good Times?

I remember not being able to sleep at night after calling Electronic Arts every few hours to see when my Genesis Madden would finally show up. I waited for that UPS man on the front porch in agony. When it finally showed up, I unwrapped it and actually read the manual from front to back and played non-stop for god knows how long. It was "FUN", no question about it.

Fun to me was playing 10 Yard Fight or Real Sports Football and creating my own stats sheet.
Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I used to play the Genesis Madden's with a note book next to me and a copy of a NFL preview mag for the player names. Since the old Madden's didn't have real teams or real players, it did have real numbers. I'd keep all my stats in the notebook, and play every single game of a NFL season. I think it only had playoffs, so I just did a bunch of exhibition games. Kept my stats and finished that season. Never had so much fun.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I used to play the Genesis Madden's with a note book next to me and a copy of a NFL preview mag for the player names. Since the old Madden's didn't have real teams or real players, it did have real numbers. I'd keep all my stats in the notebook, and play every single game of a NFL season. I think it only had playoffs, so I just did a bunch of exhibition games. Kept my stats and finished that season. Never had so much fun.
did that for every sports game i would get my hands on. Some stats were more detailed than others.

I remember doing it for tecmo bowl, bases loaded, and first genesis madden.

Good times...

Great article Terry
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

Great article! Yes, I believe with the internet, patches, updates, and technology we have become spoiled brats that look for every imperfection and losing the reason we purchased the game, to have fun! I remember when my Father came home with an Intellivison game system and having a blast playing Bump and Jump! Yes, the good old days of mindless fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

TCrouch you couldn't be more on the money with your article. Fun is what is really missing these days in gaming, atleast for me. I never get that kind of fun out of the new games now, maybe because they are so expensive, hardware concerns, internet previews/reviews, etc. But every once in a while, I get a bit of that feeling back - like when I first fired up NCAA on 360 this year. I was having awesome fun at that point ... and honestly every other game I've bought for the 360 so far I have not been able to "get into it" really.

I think maybe back in the day when you had to use your imagination (like writing out your own stats), things were as fun as you wanted them to be. Now we all know the technology, developer, etc. behind our games and we can critique EVERYTHING.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 7

I used to play full seasons on paper with NHLPA '93. I would keep my teams stats and also, the scores that showed the highlights between periods would count toward the standings.

Did the same thing with Roger Clemens Baseball for NES.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

I think that because the graphics have progressed so far in the past 20 years (I started out with an Atari 2600), people assume things like AI have, too. The games *look* so real now that people expect them to play realistic, which just isn't possible (for reasons mentioned). When you see a baseball game that looks as amazing as MLB2k7, for example, you kind of expect the way the game plays to be as realistic as the way it looks, which isn't the case.

I do try to keep these things in mind and enjoy my games. I don't nit-pick over little things. I actually had fun with Madden 07 for the 360. I don't buy a ton of games; I tend to stick to games that I know I'll play for more than a month or 2. I think people buy so many games now that they make quick judgments and then move on. It's not like back in the day when I could only get a few games a year and then played the hell out of them.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »