Home

Madden NFL 08 Review (360)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 08 Review (360) within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 08 Review (360)

We have just posted our Madden NFL 08 review. Find out what Clay Shaver had to say about it.
"I’m a fraud.

While that may not comes as a shock to some of the “fans” of my previous reviews, you have to at least be surprised to hear me admit it. You see, I’ve been living a lie for the past six years and change here at Operation Sports. Now, in my defense, I didn’t realize I was a hypocrite poser till just recently. You see, I’ve spent countless hours reading the message board here at OS and I’ve always gotten a good laugh out of those folks that took the time to complain about the little things.

The socks are too long.

The end zone is not the right color.

The suites at enter field name here are not pointed the right direction.

While these are extreme examples, those folks were always shouted down with cries of "it’s all about gameplay!"
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Pro

KBomber's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 08 Review (360)

There's been almost a month between the release of this game and the review. Various threads have highlighted critical issues related to the gameplay of this title, along with other aspects, yet this review doesn't address any of those concerns, glosses over others and really does a massive disservice to this community

The company line was that we needed to wait on a review so that OS could provide an "accurate" review. This is the result?

It's this kind of thing that causes many to wonder if marketing dollars or insider "perks" are what's determining the quality of reviews throughout the gaming community. This type of lacklustre effort doesn't do much to provide anything but fodder for this type of argument

I'm almost as disappointed by this review as I am by Madden 08

THAT is saying something and in light of that, starting and ending the review by commenting on being a fraud may not have been the best idea

Have fun............

What I think I think:
• Y'know, I've never played less NBA 2K than I did with NBA 2K12
• Sports VG titles were REALLY disappointing in 2011-12
• Thank Heaven for ME3 and Arkham City -- saved my winter
Old 09-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

I don't think most people consider presentation a "little thing". While it may be trumped by most by Gameplay in the short list of what can make or break a game, I think most consider presentation nearly as important as graphics as a key piece of the enitire package.

And while this is an obvious sore spot for the reivewer, I would have liked to have read more about these other facets of the game. I don't think there was any mention of the graphics/player models/field/crowd/sideline graphics/textures and animations. Besides the new branching animations system, it would have been nice to read about actual running/passing/defense part of the game. There was an explanation of how the weapons system is supposed to work, but there were no examples of how the weapons "actually" work in game. You mention that they remind you not to throw to a guy like Champ Bailey, but provide no in game example to show that they actually matter within the game. Does Bailey's weapon actually make him play different that other top tier CB's? Did he eat your QB up when you did throw in his direction? What about coverages, audibles and playbooks?

I'm not trying to start this off on a bad note and I do agree with what he mentioned in the review as well as the score, but for being the "game of the year" this review got much less attention to detail than reviews of other games, namely NCAA and APF.

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 09-13-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 4

i agree with what you are saying as well trevytrev. he didn't go into detail in all those things like he should, but oh well. i really didn't think it was gonna score that low. i hope no one comes in and says we are bitching about trivial things.

with that said i have only played madden on the ps3 and it is very slow and chuggy. everything he mentioned about presention in the game is dead on. now i did enjoy my time with it, because i finally got some controls down since my friend doesn't like to tell me anything. the two games i played were fun as hell and we did not have a single fumble just 1 int on my part. it just wish that the review was alittle more indepth, but still regardless great job clay.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
MVP

mastershake88's Arena

OVR: 21

No that is the right score that it deserves. Finally a website that keeps it real. Thank you so much operationsports for actually telling it like it is.For saying that there is something wrong with this game than all the other ones that were just saying something nice. OS is authentic now in my eyes from this day forth. This will finally put it in stone that EA is constantly a company that has been getting by fake websites that are biased and never want to say the truth. Thank you OS, thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 7

I thought the review was very forthright. For once we have an assessment that is honest to the many weaknesses in the game. In regards to the turnover issue he addresses it but not strongly enough. IT IS A HUGHE ISSUE AND POSSIBLE GAME KILLER. But most of all he is dead on about being fed another year of lackluster presentation. I agree with just about everything in the review including the score which I believe is suitable.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake88
No that is the right score that it deserves. Finally a website that keeps it real. Thank you so much operationsports for actually telling it like it is.For saying that there is something wrong with this game than all the other ones that were just saying something nice. OS is authentic now in my eyes from this day forth. This will finally put it in stone that EA is constantly a company that has been getting by fake websites that are biased and never want to say the truth. Thank you OS, thank you.
I agree completely. I can't imagine how anyone in their right mind can watch an NFL game, and then pop in Madden and be content with the atmosphere and presentation. I have to put my speakers waaaay up to make it feel like the crowd is not "across the street in another stadium." No player specific chants, stat overlays, camera angles, varied crowd chants, custom soundtracks, etc. etc. It's just ridiculous...especially in 2007.

And the score is spot-on. I mean, what would you give this game IF it had ev'thing last gen had in it? So you have to score it lower if the development team decides to ignore an entire aspect of the game.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

You know its funny but I never thought about stat displays on the screen to let you know how your players are doing. Damn it man now your going to make me miss that. But ya little things like that, I think its the MLB07 or 2K7 when a batter comes up they say little things like he is batting 450 his last ten games. A simple thing like your players stat coming up after a big play or anything to that extent would be great. But i must admit this is the best madden BY FAR for gameplay.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »