Home

NHL 08 Review (360)

This is a discussion on NHL 08 Review (360) within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 08 Review (360)

We have just posted our NHL 08 review. Find out what Terry Crouch had to say about it.
"Let me get this out of the way up front—NHL 08 is the most fun I’ve had with a sports game in recent memory. It’s not perfect in every area of AI. It’s not the best looking game on the XBox 360. It’s not even the easiest game to just pick up and play. It’s simply an extremely good representation of the NHL that fans see on TV on a daily basis, and the most enjoyable online multiplayer experience that I’ve ever had on the 360.

Many hockey gamers who played NHL 07 last year loved the skill stick, but the framerate and some strange defensive AI behavior held it back from greatness. Pitching the puck back to a defenseman would frequently leave your defender standing around, watching the puck clear out of the zone, forcing you to chase it down. This turned the game into somewhat of a one-timer-fest, since cycling the puck was next to impossible with the defensemen acting like they had no clue that it was their responsibility to stop the puck from clearing. You were forced to plow into the zone, dish it to the slot, and put it on net. It wasn’t the only way to score, but it was by far the most successful. It’s been that way in almost every hockey game ever released."
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: NHL 08 Review (360)

Great review and score. I personally do not watch or play video game hockey as much as I used to,but this game's core "gameplay' is expertly done and it's overall sheen is amazing. One of the best if not thee best EA sports titles in a long time. Only thing that MIGHT contest it is Fifa 08 IF they get the difficulty sorted on novice as the demo was too daunting at semi-pro whereas the semi pro in NHL 08 was hard once we were able to go to rookie things got better instantly.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

The only thing I dont like about the review is the pic above of Brodeur making the save(Ranger fan here) ,change it to one with the lamp on and i'll be happy!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Pro

Ghayghay's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba321
Great review and score. I personally do not watch or play video game hockey as much as I used to,but this game's core "gameplay' is expertly done and it's overall sheen is amazing. One of the best if not thee best EA sports titles in a long time. Only thing that MIGHT contest it is Fifa 08 IF they get the difficulty sorted on novice as the demo was too daunting at semi-pro whereas the semi pro in NHL 08 was hard once we were able to go to rookie things got better instantly.
Try Winning Eleven
Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Excellent review, Steve. I'm not even a real big NHL fan and I'm absolutely hooked on this game. With NBA 2K8 out now I'll be splitting my gaming time between what may be two of the best sports games I've ever played. It's going to be a very good winter for sports gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Great review. I agree on all the great things, and it also touches on 2 of my bigger complaints with the game.....both of which would have been resolvable with with a basic goalie slider for each team:

1. The jump from Pro to All Star is too big.
2. For those of us who like 5 minute periods, scores are just too low.

I would also like to see an option for a shorter season, but those seem to be disappearing from alot of sports games these days.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5

Very Nice Terry and i agree with most things you mentioned , if they loosen up the passing and puck a little more were gonna be in hockey heaven.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
Excellent review, Steve. I'm not even a real big NHL fan and I'm absolutely hooked on this game. With NBA 2K8 out now I'll be splitting my gaming time between what may be two of the best sports games I've ever played. It's going to be a very good winter for sports gaming.
Terry wrote it.
Follow me on Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »