Home

Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

This is a discussion on Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Read my post above. EA and 2K don't care about complaints unless they think said complaints result in lost revenues. Hardcore gamers are deemed (rightly or wrongly) to be a vocal minority who rarely put their money where their mouth is. They complain and then buy the product anyway. From a business perspective, why cater to them?
We have a winner!

That being said, I don't think the devs can win with the trade/free-agent engines. Not enough trades and people bitch and moan here. Too many trades people bitch and moan. If no big guys get traded then people cry. If too many get traded people cry.

Look at the NBA. If the game traded Shaq to Phoenix, Gasol to LA, and Kidd to Dallas people would be screaming that it wasn't "real", at least before this season.

I'm starting to get convinced that the "hardcore sports gamer" is someone who cannot be pacified by a game. A lot of people just want to find flaws and be angry. Not everyone here, just a lot of people. It's human nature to find flaws, but honestly IMO we take bug hunts too far. Just my opinion, I just try to avoid that and have more fun....the game ceases to be fun for me when I constantly read the forums looking for roster and minute gameplay issues.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
I also agree with most, especially the "fun" part. Now it seems we do a lot of "work" to make the game enjoyable. If there were no sliders we'd just accept it and be having a blast with the game. Now it's a tweak fest all the time.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 31
The worst thing is not making the game fully customizable for each individual user. I should be able to edit anything and everything to my liking. Limits on this makes me really dislike console gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
#1. Online leagues ARE a pain in the butt.
Out of curiosity, what makes them tough? I can see how having two people from across the country play each other is tough. But putting the stats into a database doesn't seem beyond what game makers do these days. 2K has a pretty nice set up.

Just curious....I'm not doubting you.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

I agree with all of those...good list.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
We have a winner!

That being said, I don't think the devs can win with the trade/free-agent engines. Not enough trades and people bitch and moan here. Too many trades people bitch and moan. If no big guys get traded then people cry. If too many get traded people cry.

Look at the NBA. If the game traded Shaq to Phoenix, Gasol to LA, and Kidd to Dallas people would be screaming that it wasn't "real", at least before this season.

I'm starting to get convinced that the "hardcore sports gamer" is someone who cannot be pacified by a game. A lot of people just want to find flaws and be angry. Not everyone here, just a lot of people. It's human nature to find flaws, but honestly IMO we take bug hunts too far. Just my opinion, I just try to avoid that and have more fun....the game ceases to be fun for me when I constantly read the forums looking for roster and minute gameplay issues.
Agree 100%

There are a couple dudes in the NBA 2K forum who believe that if something hasn't happened in real life, than it shouldn't happen in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Read my post above. EA and 2K don't care about complaints unless they think said complaints result in lost revenues. Hardcore gamers are deemed (rightly or wrongly) to be a vocal minority who rarely put their money where their mouth is. They complain and then buy the product anyway. From a business perspective, why cater to them?
You're right- no matter the business, changes won't be made until it's proven they will improve finances (or that not making changes will hinder business).
It's unfortunate that the gaming community is partially comprised of people who buy games semi-blindly and without knowing what to expect. This trial and error mentality of the community only helps to increase sales- they are not "speaking with their wallets".
But for those of us who are informed about the games we are buying, we should know better. We need to have better willpower to not buy what we perceive to be a sub-par product. I'll say that for me, it's not something I'm good at doing.

The unexamined life is not worth living...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

You also have to take how much freedom these leagues are giving devs while they're creating the game into account. Things that might have been cool in the past or included in the past may not sit well with the leagues today and their view on how their sport should be represented. Even IF they are apart of the game (eg - Technical Fouls)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.

Last edited by eDotd; 02-25-2008 at 07:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »