Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate - Page 4 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

This is a discussion on Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #25
We Spent Some Money!
 
ZM Punk's Arena
 
OVR: 32
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,954
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
We have a winner!

That being said, I don't think the devs can win with the trade/free-agent engines. Not enough trades and people bitch and moan here. Too many trades people bitch and moan. If no big guys get traded then people cry. If too many get traded people cry.

Look at the NBA. If the game traded Shaq to Phoenix, Gasol to LA, and Kidd to Dallas people would be screaming that it wasn't "real", at least before this season.

I'm starting to get convinced that the "hardcore sports gamer" is someone who cannot be pacified by a game. A lot of people just want to find flaws and be angry. Not everyone here, just a lot of people. It's human nature to find flaws, but honestly IMO we take bug hunts too far. Just my opinion, I just try to avoid that and have more fun....the game ceases to be fun for me when I constantly read the forums looking for roster and minute gameplay issues.
Great example, I know I won't even go into any kind of bug/glitch thread anymore. People just make mountains out of mole hills and it used to basically ruin games for me, so now I just completely ignore them.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.
__________________
"The academic support at Ohio State, there is no way you can fail. Even if you're giving minimal effort there is no way you can fail."

Adolphus Washington-Ohio State Freshman
ZM Punk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #26
MVP
 
Stroehms's Arena
 
OVR: 55
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Suburb of St. Louis
Posts: 2,796
Blog Entries: 17
Fun Commentary. Like MVP baseball had or going back further to the Triple Play days. Let some Comedians do it and make them the learn the game and be funny at the same time.
Stroehms is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #27
All Star
 
DrJones's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroehmerbasebal
Fun Commentary. Like MVP baseball had or going back further to the Triple Play days. Let some Comedians do it and make them the learn the game and be funny at the same time.
Of all the baseball people I've been lucky enough to meet over the years, Buck Martinez is my favourite. Awesome guy, funny as h***. Sorry about the US WBC team, Buck.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
Dr. Jones was right in stating that. We should have believed him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
DrJones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #28
All Star
 
DrJones's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb13
I agree. Now when I buy a new game I just pretend it doesnt even have sliders. I just jump to the hardest level and take it for what it is. I enjoy my games much more now with this approach. I think I enjoyed games more before I even started coming to boards like this. People here will have me noticing things I NEVER would have noticed on my own.

We all want games to be as realistic as possible, but we have to remember that it is just a game.
My favourite example of this was with NHL 98 on the PC (this was before I was working at EA).

I was doing a full 82-game season, 10-minute periods for both the Canucks and Devils. About 2/3 of the way through, I was playing a game and happened to hit the ref through the glass after a whistle. The game hung on the following faceoff because the ref never reappeared to drop the puck.

Instead of just quitting the game outright (this was the 4th straight game I'd played without saving and I didn't want to lose my progress), I went out to the FE and accidentally saved my game in progress. Which meant that my franchise was screwed, as I'd keep going back to that game missing the ref. So I just calmly copied down the relevant info from the stats, standings, etc., simmed a new season to the game I left off, played the rest of the season, added together the stats so the playoff matchups were correct, then started a new playoffs with the correct seeding.

If that happened in 2008 instead of 1998, I probably would've gone to the boards and complained about EA's "gamekilling" bug. Instead I just went about my business.

Hmmm, I had a lot of time on my hands in 1998...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
Dr. Jones was right in stating that. We should have believed him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
DrJones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #29
I'm not on InstantFace.
 
Cardot's Arena
 
OVR: 22
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Slider Hell
Posts: 5,842
Re: Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroehmerbasebal
Fun Commentary. Like MVP baseball had or going back further to the Triple Play days. Let some Comedians do it and make them the learn the game and be funny at the same time.
The problem with trying to be funny in sports game commentary, is that no matter how much dialog they record, it is going to get repetitive after a while. The funny lines are funny once or twice.....then it gets annoying.

NFL 2K5 has some comedic lines.
Cardot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #30
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Sep 2007
How about updating the bloody rosters more than twice a year? Seriously, there are about 5 people in each game's forum here that do complete and updated rosters about once a week without getting paid to do it. How hard is it really to get rosters updated weekly or at the very least, monthly??
johnny33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #31
Have you seen my baseball
 
BlyGilmore's Arena
 
OVR: 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 833
Blog Entries: 25
Re: Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroehmerbasebal
Fun Commentary. Like MVP baseball had or going back further to the Triple Play days. Let some Comedians do it and make them the learn the game and be funny at the same time.
in a perfect world i'd love to have EA scrap Madden and have Frank Caliendo do the commentary as both Madden and Summerall ...

BlyGilmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #32
Have you seen my baseball
 
BlyGilmore's Arena
 
OVR: 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 833
Blog Entries: 25
Re: Show Us The Love, Part I: Five Things Gamers Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
My favourite example of this was with NHL 98 on the PC (this was before I was working at EA).

I was doing a full 82-game season, 10-minute periods for both the Canucks and Devils. About 2/3 of the way through, I was playing a game and happened to hit the ref through the glass after a whistle. The game hung on the following faceoff because the ref never reappeared to drop the puck.

Instead of just quitting the game outright (this was the 4th straight game I'd played without saving and I didn't want to lose my progress), I went out to the FE and accidentally saved my game in progress. Which meant that my franchise was screwed, as I'd keep going back to that game missing the ref. So I just calmly copied down the relevant info from the stats, standings, etc., simmed a new season to the game I left off, played the rest of the season, added together the stats so the playoff matchups were correct, then started a new playoffs with the correct seeding.

If that happened in 2008 instead of 1998, I probably would've gone to the boards and complained about EA's "gamekilling" bug. Instead I just went about my business.

Hmmm, I had a lot of time on my hands in 1998...
i see your point but i think that just depends on the person. i'm sure there are folks who would have braved the 800 number in the past just to yell at folks about something they were pissed off about.

it is a lot easier to complain about stuff now though. but to me there's bitching and there's constructive criticism. IMO devs of the various games don't pay enough attention to the constructive part.

sites like this are a huge resource for game industry types. there's tons of information in these forums, MM's forums and others detailing what gamers want.

the problem is they've got all this information and great ideas at their finger tips and they basically ignore most of it.
BlyGilmore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Top -